What's new

Ink Review: Pelikan 4001 Blue/Black

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here is my review of Pelikan Blue/Black. Looking at the smear tests, it appears to take a lot longer than I am used to with Pelikan inks. This could be due to my nib. Normally I use my Lamys for testing, but the Vista is still loaded with Diamine Sargasso Sea and my Al-Star with Denim. My Pelikan nib has a bit of flex, and the Lamys have zero, so I think the ink is going down heavier. Enjoy.

Attachments

• $blueblack.jpg
    $blueblack.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 318

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
FYI, this ink is no longer available in the US -- it was discontinued about two years ago due to TSCA Regulations.

Another nice review, Owen.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
FYI, this ink is no longer available in the US -- it was discontinued about two years ago due to TSCA Regulations.

Another nice review, Owen.
Thanks. Andrew (I think) sent me a link to where it could be had.

Nice review, Owen! You can indeed still get it in the US (I think), but it may be cheaper to order it from Cult Pens.

-Andy

I like this inkt. It is an old-fashioned blue/black, with a nice greyish shade. Together with MB blue/black, this is one of my favorites.

Lol Jason so your saying you don't like it ?

Nice review Owen... you ge a bonus point if bottles start showing up in the acquisitions thread

I have this ink and I kinda hate it. It's not blue enough and it's not black enough for me. It just comes out as washed out to me.

Well, actually this is how the European blue/blacks looked in the past. They had a greyish look on paper, except the real iron gall inks; they were dark brownish. So I'd say that this Pelikan ink is historically correct.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, actually this is how the European blue/blacks looked in the past. They had a greyish look on paper, except the real iron gall inks; they were dark brownish. So I'd say that this Pelikan ink is historically correct.
The color is growing on me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Simulated ink and finger accident test (patent pending:001_smile)_. I dipped my finger in for 5 seconds, then wiped with a rag (1st pic). Second pic is after washing the spot for 20 second with the generic liquid hand soap we have at work. This ink cleans up easy.

Attachments

• $Blue_black_stain.jpg
    $Blue_black_stain.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 195
  • $BB_wash.jpg
    $BB_wash.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 192

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
An update- I have been using this primarily since I did the review. Dry time during normal writing does not appear any different that other 4001 offerings. I don't know what happened when I did my review.

I have a bottle, and rarely use it, because to me, it writes very dry, and just didn't flow very well in the couple pens I tried it in. Nice color though.

Top Bottom