What's new

Left Handed Writers Thread

$image175.jpg

While I'm not left handed, we do have a fair number of members who are, I thought we need a thread where we could help new left handed members get off to a great start with there Fountain Pen Path, and maybe save them some trial and error times

In this thread I would love for some tips as well as products that work wonders, and if you have found anything that has made life difficult for you as a leftie writer please share not only what it was but why it made you feel the way it did. And if you are new to the nib please feel free to ask any questions here and we will see about getting you some well thought out help

Fear not, Left Handed Writing and Fountain Pen love is within your grasp

One thing I would like to start this thread off with is a simple one

When selecting a pen keep in mind how you want to use it, if it is for rush writing such as most work writings you may want to stick with a small nib gap, a fine or extra fine nib will leave a smaller ink path and thus will dry much quicker then a Broad or larger stub or italic that will lay a big wet line.

Beginners to keep life simple at first may want to take this path for a bit as you are learning to use a new tool and should keep any frustrations to a minimum and keep enthusiasm on the high

A pen with a fine nib wont give you anything fancy, but hey, you have a fancy pen and fancy ink and its a lot better then a bic. Youll be off to a great start as you learn to love something new, and how it works best for you !

James will delete my posts because he thinks my handwriting is atrocious!:001_tt2:

My advice is to just write normally at first and see what happens. If you don't smear, great! If you do, try and hook your hand and over-write or under-write and see if that fixes it. If not, then you can try quick/fast-dry inks and/or nibs that are on the finer side. (on the flip side to this, if you don't like quick dry inks, you can try absorbent paper, but it may feather more). If all else fails, just write slower! This is all about enjoying the finer things in life anyways!

For me, I couldn't use a fine nib when I first started, and I gravitated to medium and broad nibs. The reason is because my over writing style wouldn't allow the finer nibs to flow well when I was "pushing" the nib across the paper. The larger nibs were more forgiving, and even though they laid more ink down, it caused me to slow down to ensure the ink was dry. Slowing down is good, especially when you're trying to improve your handwriting skills, it causes you to consider the formation of each letter and how it leads into the next. Honestly, I just picked up a pen and tried and tried and tried, and finally found out how to do this, lol. I've even taught myself to under-write, but I only use that when using dip pens or other calligraphy nibs. The best advice I can give a lefty just starting out is, don't give up and practice.

Left handed writer calling here :001_smile

I developed a hooked writing style, as a kid. In school, they taught us to write with a piece of paper under the hand, in order to avoid smearing ink (many Dutch kids use fountain pens in school). Looking back, I would have been happier if I had been shown to write with my hand under the line.

As an adult, I relearned my handwriting, mainly because I didn't want to be limited in ink and nib choices anymore. So I taught myself an "underwriting style" with a slight slant to the left.

What works really well for me, are left oblique nibs (shaped like my left foot), because the angle of rotation is just right for me. Apart from that, I can write with all nibs, as long as they are at least F or broader. Needle point / accounting nibs drag too much.

Anyway, don't shy away from fountain pens because you're left handed!

It really depends if your an under or over writer. I'm an under writer so almost everything works well for me. The only problems I have are right foot oblique nibs. They force you to either point the pen body away when you write or rotate the top of the nib to 9 o'clock and pull the nib along.

I'm an over writer, unless I have a fast drying ink then I just push my palm through it all. Though I do a lot of fast writing at work I can't use my fountain pens at all time, which does suck because I love writing with them. My B&B LE roller ball has saved me from the suck that is BIC.

I'm normally a side-writer but I've adapted my writing style towards underwriting since I started using fountain pens. I just haven't been able to find a grip that allows me to angle the nib properly as I write with my hand on the same plane. Short of rotating the paper at an angle, I would struggle to write legibly with ink that doesn't dry as quickly as former ballpoint users are used to.

I do prefer underwriting, especially from a comfort perspective. My hand doesn't get as tense as it used to.

James, thanks for starting this thread.
Ok, I have to hit the wiki and see what this under over writing thing is. I write under the line with a slant to the right. Now I will angle the paper to the right and kind of write towards myself. I do feel like I hold the pen too tightly, or straining I guess when I write. Hopefully the FP's will help that out

Nibs.com had some pictures that will show you

overhand
$over.jpg

Underhand
$under.jpg

you will notice underhand keeps you hand out of your ink, but if you dont write this way, the members here who have made the switch have said it feels really odd for a while and just takes a little practice and determination before it becomes comfortable. But again ill let them tell you all about it

Well, I've been called underhanded before. Guess that's how I write. Good deal. Hopefully that will make the learning curve a bit less steep

And I was on that website earlier today. Saw their pen prices and thought "Man, I'm on the wrong website!" :w00t:

lol Nibs carries the higher end stuff, but they have some high middle stuff to like the pelikan line, The M200s are a great pen, although if you hunt you can find a good deal on them, Im considering a m605 in blue stripe with rhodium trim at the moment, the owner of that site is also a nibmiester, and i was also thinking a stub nib onto that one.,... but we will see

For those of you over writers, there are fast drying inks out there. One that I've tried is Noodlers Bernanke Blue and Black. I've tried it and it dries pretty quickly, forget the actual times, but as an over writer myself...it helped quite a bit when I was first learning this fountain pen thing ;-)

Nibs.com had some pictures that will show you

you will notice underhand keeps you hand out of your ink, but if you dont write this way, the members here who have made the switch have said it feels really odd for a while and just takes a little practice and determination before it becomes comfortable. But again ill let them tell you all about it
It took me a few months to get comfortable again with my "new" writing style. Regular writing practice materials (for kids) don't help, since they all practice a writing style that is slanted to the right. For (most?) left handed underwriters, a left slanted style is more natural.

I must admit,you write much better than me.
then why are you smiling?
because I know something you don't
and what's that?
I am NOT left handed!

Top Bottom