What's new

First straight razor question

Hello all!
I'm fairly new to using a straight razor and need some advice. I started a few weeks ago after buying a dovo shavette and got comfortable using that. I realized that I enjoyed using the straight razor more then a cartridge and bought a Thiers Issard. Ive been using that for a about a week and I'm finding that I could get a closer shave with the shavette. I was very surprised by this. I assumed I would at least get as close a shave with a proper straight razor then one with disposable blades. Has anyone had this happen? Is this me just adjusting to a new blade and finding the angle? Am I not stropping enough/properly? or do I have the wrong strop? It feels like it is pulling a bit some times, but only around my chin and upper lip area. Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks!!

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If I were guessing, I would say the razor needs a touch up. Although a straight will not be as sharp as a shavette, the shave should be as comfortble and results just as good.

Shavettes are sharper than regular straights. Regular straights give a more comfortable shave. Once you learn the technique, you will get the regular straight working as well as the shavette with less blood and more comfort. Most say it takes more than a handful of shaves to learn the regular straight (some say as many as 100 shaves are required before you are good at it). You didn't mention whether you sharpened it or has someone else do it. If you did not get it pre-honed then it probably needs honing. TIs from the factory should be honed before using despite what the instruction books says.

Preparation and practice are the keys if you have a sharp edge.

Shavettes are sharper than regular straights. Regular straights give a more comfortable shave. Once you learn the technique, you will get the regular straight working as well as the shavette with less blood and more comfort. Most say it takes more than a handful of shaves to learn the regular straight (some say as many as 100 shaves are required before you are good at it). You didn't mention whether you sharpened it or has someone else do it. If you did not get it pre-honed then it probably needs honing. TIs from the factory should be honed before using despite what the instruction books says.

Preparation and practice are the keys if you have a sharp edge.

That is what I was thinking. Also stropping technique can make a big difference. Do it wrong and you could dull a good edge.

Top Bottom