What's new

SR n00b with a couple of questions.

First thanks for all of the information in this forum. It has helped me get started with this most excellent new hobby.

About a week and a half ago I bought my first straight. It is a Theirs Issard Bijou De France from vintageblades. Being new to shaving with a straight, I was told that this razor came shave ready. Does anyone have any history with vintage blades to confirm or deny their ability to get a blade shave ready?

I did not strop the blade the first couple times I used it per their instructions. In subsequent shaves I have stropped. But today I decided to try the "HHT" and it is failing miserably. I can't even run a hair down the blade and get it to cut. Maybe tapping 20 times the hair directly on the blade will yield me 1 cut hair.

Today I have run the blade a few hundred laps on the strop to see if I could move the dial on the HHT but to no avail.

Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

How is the shave?

The HHT is not the end all be all, but for me personally-I will not shave with a razor that does not pass MY HHT

Well I have shaved 7 times with it ATM, and today's was the best. But that is after about 350 passes on the strop. Still not passing HHT, not a single time. Understand that I ame coming form an Electric Shaver, so these shaves are already some of the best Ihave ever had, especially my cheeks :thumbup1:

Also I am getting razor burn from all of the passes it takes to get a decent shave. This is the main reason I think it isn't sharp enough.

Also I am getting razor burn from all of the passes it takes to get a decent shave. This is the main reason I think it isn't sharp enough.
You might need to send it out for someone to evaluate the edge and hone it for you if needed.

Top Bottom