What's new

Getting "Lit" in the Wilderness

Don't know if anyone else has experimented with char cloth but I tried it a couple of times. It works ok and will catch a spark from a firesteel but it has to be kept very dry. In backyard testing it was ok but I don't think I would want to mess with it in the wild.

Don't know if anyone else has experimented with char cloth but I tried it a couple of times. It works ok and will catch a spark from a firesteel but it has to be kept very dry. In backyard testing it was ok but I don't think I would want to mess with it in the wild.
The nice thing about char cloth, is it weighs next to nothing. Char cloth and a birds nest of a little twine go up easy and fit inside an altoids tin full of stuff to light a fire with!

I don't think I can add anything extra except that I recommend Bic disposable lighters as the best disposal lighter to carry. When I smoked I found they lasted much longer and were more reliable than all of the cheaper brands. You can still use them to start a fire even when they are out of fuel. The mishmetal flint always seems to out last the fuel, I pop the metal guard off so you can direct the sparks at your tinder.

The nice thing about char cloth, is it weighs next to nothing. Char cloth and a birds nest of a little twine go up easy and fit inside an altoids tin full of stuff to light a fire with!

Agreed.

IF you don't want to mess with char cloth, get a piece of cotton sash cord/ rope and a brass/metal tube as pictured in my post. Light it, use it, and withdraw it into the tube. It'll be ready to catch a spark in 10 minutes or ten years if you keep it dry. ;)

Crap, I thought this might be on what type of alcohol to bring......

Seriously I keep my dryer lint and put it in the cardboard egg carton cups and top with wax.....Burns like no tomorrow! :)

Top Bottom