What's new

Getting "Lit" in the Wilderness

As the amount of people who venture into the backcountry each year increases, whether it is hiking, backpacking, hunting, etc., the risk of being stranded overnight due to unforeseen circumstances, such as, getting lost, is a definite possibility one should be prepared for. This thread discussion will be about one of the most basic comforts one must consider when faced with a night in the wilderness and that is, being able to start a fire in a quick and easy manner. Having a fire is a huge morale boost for an overnight situation and obviously, provides heat. This is not possible when venturing above treeline due to a lack of fuelwood. When persons head above treeline the ability to make fire is generally not a consideration and the type of shelter/sleeping system one uses becomes paramount.

If I venture into a wilderness area where making a fire is allowed (been very dry out here in the west lately) and I’m going to be traveling a long distance from the trailhead, or when overnight backpacking, I will bring along three different ways to create a fire. These items are simplistic, lightweight and take up little pack space. They are: a cigarette lighter, a pack of matches (waterproof or otherwise) and a firesteel/striker combo. Sometimes I may only bring one or two of the “three” but I always have something on my person in which to make a fire if I need to. For tinder, I’ll carry one or more of the following: petroleum jelly cotton balls (work great and they are cheap!), Wet Fire, sometimes jute twine and on occasion, I have carried fatwood.

What do you use when you venture into remote locations? How about alternative methods like fire piston, rubbing two sticks, magnifying glass, etc.?

$20130315_074915.jpg
Clockwise from left: jute twine, Wetfire tinder, matches, cig lighter, firesteel/striker combo and in the center, petroleum jelly cotton balls.

Last edited:
Don't tell anybody, but I've used a road flare to start fires when tender is scarce or when the firewood is very wet. I typically use a lighter or matches, but when I'm not hungry or tired, it's fun to play with a ferrorod, dryer lint is great for catching the spark. I've accomplished making an ember using a bow drill, but only as a means of diversion, not to save my life.

Dryer lint! Yes I forgot to mention that one. I have a zip lock bag of some lint in the garage. It does work very well.

$Fire 001.jpg

As some of you may know I no longer hunt, or spend a-lot in the field because of health reasons. When I was I guess around 14, or there abouts my Dad showed me how to use a bow, and drill. With the exception of the bow string all these items can be found simply by looking around you. You at first will get a little disgusted as this method can be a bit frustrating. When you do master this method, pending on weather conditions you can create an ember within oh I guess 3, or four minutes or so. Use soft wood, and the best material I have found over the years to transfer the ember to for best results have been Jute twine unraveled, and or a small piece of char cloth.

I use a first generation Gerber flint and steel set and rarely open my match bottle. It's similar to the Bear Gryllis set, but much sturdier. I usually carry a double Baggie of dryer lint or some fire babies, little rolls of newspaper dipped in paraffin. The flint and steel goes around my neck with my compass when I'm out and about.

Dryer lint! Yes I forgot to mention that one. I have a zip lock bag of some lint in the garage. It does work very well.

I particularly like the used candle/egg carton/dryer lint type of fire starter. They're made of materials that would usually be trashed and they burn really well. I'll usually throw in some sawdust or wood shavings when I make them (tend to burn a bit longer). For those who don't know what I'm talking about here is the best tutorial I've found on how to make them.

http://saltnprepper.com/diy-egg-carton-fire-starter/

Another good tinder that comes in its own storage container is a...tampon. I saw this demonstrated on Man, Woman, Wild. They poofed it up and ignited it with one of those steel flint sticks and the back edge of a heavy knife as a striker. Worked real well. I still think a 29c butane lighter from a discount store is an absolute essential for the car or a hiking trip.

Cheers, Todd

I used to smoke cigarettes and the most dependable lighter had piezoelectric ignition. It would light up even in the rain.

As long as your tinder is dry, you can depend on getting it lit with one of those lighters, even if it's out of fuel.

I don't know if they're still made or where to buy them if they are.

Definitely cool things here!

I would suggest a quality lighter, those ones have cracked on me or the roller seizes up.

Zippo or other equivalent.

Dryer lint is my choice for tinder, but I like the idea of cotton and vaseline!

Awesome stuff

Two items, steel wool, 9v battery.

Otherwise in the event of "The Change" or Revolution style apocalypse, a flint/steel combo works fairly well IMO.

Swedish Firesteel

$firesteelorange_z1.jpg

or something similar.

Lighters work in some, but not all, situations, and can be carried as a backup, but shouldn't be the only fire starting device.

I carry a lighter, matches, and somewhere in my car is a magnesium block. I've found the lint from new towels is the best for fire starting; there's just so much of it from one load. Where I hike/fish/camp, flint is easy to find, so I don't bother with carrying one.

Top Bottom