What's new

Cheap Fountain Pen Friendly Paper

The title says it all. What's inexpensive and readily available from places like Staples and Office Depot? Not everyone wants to shell out for Rhodia and Clairefontaine.

Loose leaf, notebooks, journals, planners, and legal pads! Olé!

Thanks!

-Andy

Look for paper made in Brazil. Norcom makes cheap composition and looseleaf but it must be the paper from Brazil. The stuff made in the US, Mexico and Vietnam is shaky.

I've had luck with the Norcom made in USA composition books... I need to find some better plain white copy paper for some flexing action. I will try some 32# in a bit.

I wouldn't really call it "cheap", but look at Black n' Red at OfficeMax. I'm not sure if other office supply stores carry it. The thing I like about it most is that it still has the texture of "normal" paper as opposed to the slick surface of Rhodia or Clairefontaine. Ink dries quickly but even highly saturated ones won't bleed through.

Just for comparative purposes, here are two more or less similar products from BnR and Rhodia along with their prices.

Black n' Red Casebound Notebook; 96 sheets; 5 7/8" x 8 1/4" - $8.79

http://www.officemax.com/office-sup...otebooks/product-ARS23479?R=21005948&ssp=true

Rhodia Webnotebook; 96 sheets; 5.5" x 8.25" - $38 for two.

http://www.jetpens.com/Rhodia-Webno...5-96-Sheets-5-mm-Dot-Grid-Bundle-of-2/pd/8113

I need to pick up one of those BnR Casebound Notebooks. This thread may put me off Clairefontaine, as I've wanted notebooks that will allow ink to dry faster. Thanks for the info!

-Andy

I like the Staples Arc series. The refill paper is pretty cheap for the medium sized books at around $3. The medium sized leather books run about $15, but you can get the plastic guys for about $5. Bigger version runs about $20 for leather, $7 for plastic, and $4 for refills.

The paper in the printer, works perfectly for me....no feathering..no bleed thru..
and readily available..I have two or three bundles that i bought many many many years ago..

I really like the Staples ARC series. It is one of those loose leaf/ring binder hybrid types of books. So if you want a nicer cover you can splurge and you just keep buying the paper. If you want to use other paper, you can buy a punch, but they are kind of pricey. The paper in the ARC series is great for FPs - no feathering and no bleed through that I have noted and it dries pretty fast.

I usually go into the office Dept. at Wal-mart (Don't Laugh guys, they have good paper) for all my paper needs.
If you dont want colored paper or other ones like ivory or Parchment, Geographics makes a nice letterhead paper.
I Go to Staples for my ampad Gold Fibre Tablet, Which is Great!!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Staples eco-friendly writing pads, sugarcane-based (bagasse) paper, works for me in the cheapo department.

When in Europe I get cheap kid's bound school notebooks, the paper is usually great.

almost no bleed, I highly recommend.

$_DSC2108.jpg

The paper in the printer, works perfectly for me....no feathering..no bleed thru..
and readily available..I have two or three bundles that i bought many many many years ago..
That's what I use most of the time too. When summer is almost over, i'll look for the 'made in brazil' paper in the back to school section, but I really don't look too hard. I'm too busy sniffing all that sweet glue.

I like the Staples Arc series. The refill paper is pretty cheap for the medium sized books at around $3. The medium sized leather books run about $15, but you can get the plastic guys for about $5. Bigger version runs about $20 for leather, $7 for plastic, and $4 for refills.

+ 1. BTW, Levenger makes Rhodia paper for the Arc just in case you ever want to spend the $.

I really like the Staples ARC series. It is one of those loose leaf/ring binder hybrid types of books. So if you want a nicer cover you can splurge and you just keep buying the paper. If you want to use other paper, you can buy a punch, but they are kind of pricey. The paper in the ARC series is great for FPs - no feathering and no bleed through that I have noted and it dries pretty fast.

+1. I like the ability to add/remove paper without killing the spine like I did in my Rhodia. BTW, I noticed Levenger sells Rhodia paper for the Arc and their version of the Arc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For yellow legal note pads, use Ampad Gold Fibre. Some of the nib-heads here put me onto it recently, and it's great.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love my Rhodia pads that I have in all sizes around in the house, shop and at work, but I carry right now a Leuchtturm 1917 small in my shirt pocket to take notes where ever I go.

Top Bottom