What's new

John S. Holler & Co 17

This was handed to me today by a Scouser barber in town for a honing (attempt). It was sent to him as a gift from his brother in NYC. A modern day barber, he didn't know what to do with it and tried having the guy at the salon across the hall have a go at it based on his scissor sharpening skills. Needless to say that didn't work out very well.

My curiosity being piqued, I've had a trawl around the web for info but there's not a lot out there. Seems Holler was a German maker also known as the "Tower Brand" which looks to be their cutlers mark on the off side of the tang and on the coffin box. No country of origin, so possibly pre-1890 if made for export? The tail isn't a stubby so I don't think it's much older than 1850 or so. The feel and balance reminds me a lot of the 5/8 Wostie Pipe I have.

It's 11/16 at the toe tapering to 5/8 at the heel and I'd call it about half hollow. Scales look to be original (bakelite?) with a lead wedge. Little to no hone wear on the spine and barely any visible bevel to speak of; but that could be the recent work of the "scissormeister".

Please excuse the cruddy phone pics. Had to take these at work, lest I get a serving of lip soup for not only rubbing steel on rocks tonight, but also taking photos of said steel.

$IMG-20130311-00204a.jpg
$IMG-20130311-00201a.jpg
$IMG-20130311-00202a.jpg
$IMG-20130311-00203a.jpg

Looking forward to working it up and a test shave before handing it back. In the meantime I'd love to hear any back story on the brand/razor from you sages of straights. (really hope Greybeard will kick in with some of that fine info he posts:thumbup1:)

Hey thanks!

Glad to hear it's a good shaver... yours looks a treat. Oak?

As an aside, I haven't been around here long but it seems you just can't help grinding away at these things!

I've got a John S. Holler Tower Brand #126, in virtually as new condition. It is a full hollow with the original coffin. "Guaranteed" is emblazoned on the scales. A very nice razor that shaves as well as the best of them!

proxy.php

John S. Holler & Co.
New York City wholesalers & distributors of cutlery, knives, and razors.
The tower was their trademarked brand name.
Their products were made for them by mostly German manufacturers, but also some came from England.
Their merchandise was considered well above average and their pocket knives are collectible.
In business from 1867 - 1906.
I believe that the razor was made prior to 1890.

Interestingly there was no John S. Holler associated with the business and it was run by the Von Dorp family.
There is a record of a Tower trademark (similar but not quite as stylized) in Germany assigned to John S. Holker. I thought at first that it was a typo, but a couple of German swords circa 1840 have shown up with the tower and John S. Holker branded on them.

Very interesting Peter and thanks to all.

Bevel is now set to the 4K level. There's not much of a smile, just enough to be a bugger, but I got there. In my very limited experience and based on Greybeard's info, I'd lean towards this being an English blade. The similarity to my own little Wostie is striking.

Hopefully move on to the coticule tomorrow night. "Romancing The Stone" as I've come to think of it... mysterious little rock that it is.

I'm not going to want to give this back, I can see it coming!

OK,, Peter strikes again. I want a hat like that so I can keep pulling rabbits out of it. Too cool! I feel like I should print out all your replies and start filing them to make my own "Big Book of Razors".
Hey,, not a bad idea.

OK,, Peter strikes again. I want a hat like that so I can keep pulling rabbits out of it. Too cool! I feel like I should print out all your replies and start filing them to make my own "Big Book of Razors".
Hey,, not a bad idea.

When you need him, just use this:

A little honing advice please.

Took it to the coti tonight. A dilucot progression with circles and heel led rolling x strokes all the way through. Seemed to suit the slight smile. It was popping arm hair above the skin quite well before finishing on water with the same stroke combo. 50 on WH cotton and about 100 on the leather. Felt like a sound stropping job. Decent HHT3 in the middle, but the toe and heel failed. A few test passes down the cheeks and could feel the inconsistency in the edge. Tried some more stropping with a bit of pressure on the problem areas... slightly better, but not good enough.

I think I know the answer, but could this be rescued on the coti or should I go back to the 4K?

Before going back to the 4K, try a rolling stroke on the coti with some slurry and see if it improves, otherwise you got a ticket to 4k-land.

I think I know the answer, but could this be rescued on the coti or should I go back to the 4K?

I got this out of my grandparents house before it was demolished. I believe this to be a Celebrated razor. Can someone give me a little more info on this particular straight razor? I’m thinking it belonged to my 2nd great grandfather who was originally from Georgia, or his father who was from North Carolina (1830)

Attachments

• FF0E2AD2-185F-4A37-A2C6-E94081F8BC09.jpeg
    FF0E2AD2-185F-4A37-A2C6-E94081F8BC09.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 8A72AEB0-CA0D-43B8-9C47-55D2E6514E92.jpeg
    8A72AEB0-CA0D-43B8-9C47-55D2E6514E92.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 17
Top Bottom