What's new

R41 new version ?

$OldR41-1.jpg
$OldR41-2.jpg

Is the EJ de89lbl the same head as the R89? I just measured my R41 cap against my EJ89 cap and the R41 is slightly smaller.

All Jagger heads are identical to the DE89, and the DE89 is the same head used on the R89.

Great pics ASDDSA!

How to tell which one you have without a microcaliper?

Technique A: Look at the blade exposure. If the prospect of dragging that across your face gives you a cold blooded chill that runs through your gut and groin, it's a 2011.

Technique B: The 2011 R41 top cap is just barely (1/4 of mm) narrower than a US/Canadian penny diameter of 19.05mm. The 2013 R41 is clearly wider (by 1.15 mm) than a US/Canadian Penny.

Not CONUS? Perhaps this size chart will help you find a coin between the two widths of 18.8 and 20.2 mm in diameter: www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm

Another easy way to tell the difference, without having a caliper, is to measure the width of the top cap, with an 'imperial' ruler. If it appears to be exactly 3/4", then it's the 2011 model. If it exceeds 3/4" then it's the newer revised one.

Look at us, overthinking and looking for comparisons with coins if we don't have calipers.
Every rule I've had since I was 5 except for some "schoolboy" 6" cheapies had both imperial and metric.

18.8 vs 20.2mm... you can eyeball that on a rule.

...18.8 vs 20.2mm... you can eyeball that on a rule.

Absolutely... You can't? (of course you can)... 18.8mm = .0740" - whereas 20.2mm = .0795"
Using an imperial ruler, it's pretty easy to measure 3/4" because it falls precisely on the hash line, (actually .001" short - which is kind of tough for the human eye to see)... so my reasoning is simple... if the width of the top cap exceeds the 3/4" hash line (as .795 would), by almost a sixteenth of an inch. It should be easy enough to see.

Last edited:
Look at us, overthinking and looking for comparisons with coins if we don't have calipers.

lol. Don't know about your shave den, but when in mine I often have coins in my pocket but hardly ever a ruler! Not overthinking. Time to get a penny < time to get a ruler. :)

Hmm, very interesting. I have the 2011 Beast and I love it, but the updated version sounds intriguing too - but I wonder how to check in advance which version a dealer has. (I guess just emailing and asking might help, but I guess they'd have to open the box, and with the difference being so small I'm not sure I'd trust them to get it right)

I've got the 2011 & the 2010. Guess I'll have to get a 2013 now! Dang their hides, couldn't leave well enough (and my RAD) alone could they!!:taz::taz:

i gave my 2012 R41 to the kid. Now I have a Mergress on the way. Hope the 2013 R41 is just a tad less aggressive

Has any one measured the depth of the base plate on the new version compared to the original 2011 model? It is a way to reduce blade gap, which also effects aggressiveness. I just wondered if it has been altered, too.

Is it too early to declare the June 2011 R41 as the superior model now that it is no longer available?

I couldn't just let the genius of this question go by without comment. If I were drinking coffee, it would be on my keyboard.
But seriously, it's a tiny bit early. The 2011 seems to be what's most readily available on Amazon. Wait until it's harder to get, rather than having to "be sure" you're getting the 2013. Then declare. (No, not "But seriously" for those skimming).

Wimps :lol:

It will be interesting to hear from someone who ends up with both models.

I enjoy using my BRW custom R41 which is over a year old so it's "the beast" model.

I had another R41 that I sold. Wish I had looked at them side by side to see if I DID have both variations :sad:

I just ordered one from connaught shaving, 2011 or 2013 I'll see what I get but all I hope is that it will be aggressive enough for me, as it was the only reason why I bought one.

Top Bottom