What's new

R41 new version ?

Is anyone here able to measure the width of the base plate in the new version? A standard ruler with millimeter scale will do if you don't have a caliper.

Does anyone have both the new 2013 and the 2010 OC version. The milder one before and the milder one after the brute. I'd really like to know how the shaves compare between the two.

Does anyone have both the new 2013 and the 2010 OC version. The milder one before and the milder one after the brute. I'd really like to know how the shaves compare between the two.
The only thing those two razors share is their name and that they are both modern three piece razors. Beyond that, the two razors don't appear to share any more similarities with each other than they do any other three piece razors. I enjoy them both nonetheless.

The only thing those two razors share is their name and that they are both modern three piece razors. Beyond that, the two razors don't appear to share any more similarities with each other than they do any other three piece razors. I enjoy them both nonetheless.

I know they're totally dissimilar--but I'm curious how the shaves compare--is one more aggressive than the other, smoother than the other, etc

The old Merkur head is much less aggressive (milder than average) with a small blade gap and not a very aggressive blade angle.
The new models are much more aggressive (and are more aggressive than average) with a bigger blade gap and more aggressive blade angle.

The 2011 model also has a much greater blade exposure than I have seen in a razor before, but I doubt that makes much of a difference - which is why it seems there isn't a great difference between the 2011 R41 and it's tamer looking 2013 successor.

I know they're totally dissimilar--but I'm curious how the shaves compare--is one more aggressive than the other, smoother than the other, etc

The 2010 version is essentially the same as a Merkur OC like the 1904, and they are very mild.

The 2013 R41 is not mild at all, just perhaps a little less aggressive than the 2011 R41. It's a bit like the way a smaller Rottweiler might be a bit less dangerous than a larger Rottweiler, but that doesn't make it a Poodle.

Well, I've had my new Rosegold 2013 R41 sitting here all week, without using it because I'm in the middle of one of my blade tests. But I just had to give it a go, so I loaded an Astra SP in it and shaved my head - it was either that or the cat.

I've tried using my 2011 R41 on my head before, but I've never seen it through as it felt a bit "bitey" and a bit too dangerous - especially as I can't actually see most of my head.

The most obvious difference is that the 2013 version will only work over a much smaller range of angles than the older one. In fact, it seems like to me like there's really only one angle that will work - or it just doesn't shave. That angle seems pretty close to the "standard" 30 degrees, so if you have a good technique with that angle, I suspect you might not find much difference between the two versions. I prefer the 2011 R41 at a shallower angle, but the 2013 version simply won't shave at the same angle - nor will it shave at an angle as steep as the 2011 either.

So, how was the head shave? In a word, superb. The restricted shaving angle made it fell a good bit safer, and I never had any of those "Ooh, that felt like a lot of blade" moments. And there were no weepers or nicks. I'd say it was my best head shave yet - and I'm really looking forward to using it on my face.

how does the newer 2013 angle compare to a ej89? since i use one of those all the time i know it well. im about to pull the trigger to have something more aggressive but maybe this 2013 is not the answer?? the ej89 works very well but i have to do at least 3-4 passes to get a good bbs shave with my hair i was wanting to find something to cut through it a bit faster maybe 2-3 passes and with the oc the way my hair sits i think would really help also. (though maybe im wrong)

how does the newer 2013 angle compare to a ej89? since i use one of those all the time i know it well. im about to pull the trigger to have something more aggressive but maybe this 2013 is not the answer?? the ej89 works very well but i have to do at least 3-4 passes to get a good bbs shave with my hair i was wanting to find something to cut through it a bit faster maybe 2-3 passes and with the oc the way my hair sits i think would really help also. (though maybe im wrong)

That's a very interesting question, and my first thought (from only one head shave with the 2013 R41, mind) is that the R41 has a very similar best angle to the EJ89. At least for me, that is - I find the EJ89 works best around the "standard" 30 degrees, which is about the only angle I could get the R41 to work on my head.

If you want something more aggressive than an EJ89 but which would match in terms of angle and technique, I would definitely not recommend the old 2011 R41 - but the new 2013 one might fit the bill. I'm busy with my current blade test right now, but I'll probably take a day off from it over the weekend and do a proper shave with the new R41. I'll post my thoughts here.

I think we've established that the 2013 R41 is not as aggressive as the 2011 R41. But what I'd like to know is then where this new one lies on a spectrum. The most aggressive razor I've tried to date is the ATT Titan H1. That has quite a bit of blade exposure. But I understand that the 2011 R41 is still more aggressive than that. Just for a frame of reference, in comparison to the Titan H1, a Joris, a NY Mariner, and the 2011 R41, where does this new 2013 R41 fit? Is it still more aggressive than all those other choices except the 2011 R41? Or is it milder?

who still stocks the older 2011 model at a good price?? but yeah i would for sure like something for a quicker less passes bbs shave. the 89 does it well just takes at least 3-4 on my hair and sometimes some spot areas even after but this is still zero irritation really and no weepers or cuts generally depending on blade. but i find most blades work very well in the 89 so i wanted to compare the angle used for the two. im liking the fact that the 2011 has a wider angle to me that seems like more of a blade range can be used the new 2013 in the pics above looks to have VERY little blade exposure almost imo less than the ej89 or similar if nothing else.

the new 2013 in the pics above looks to have VERY little blade exposure

From an end-on view, it does look like that - but from the front, because it has the comb thing, there's still quite a lot of blade exposed.

I think we've established that the 2013 R41 is not as aggressive as the 2011 R41. snip

From the responses in this thread, it seems as though they share the same blade angle and blade gap, with the only real change being blade exposure. That doesn't necessarily translate to a change in aggression, or at least I don't feel that it does and others have suggested that the shave is technically still the same.

My only question for those that already have the 2011 version is: Worth a buy or not? Mantic has stated there is no significant difference so, at this point, I'm apt to believe him.

I just got my new R41 today. I haven't yet tried to shave with it, but I will tomorrow. The changes are very subtle, indeed. I actually need a caliper to measure the differences in the refined version. I'll post more tomorrow, after I've had a chance to use it, and will eventually post a new review.

The 2010 version is essentially the same as a Merkur OC like the 1904, and they are very mild.

The 2013 R41 is not mild at all, just perhaps a little less aggressive than the 2011 R41. It's a bit like the way a smaller Rottweiler might be a bit less dangerous than a larger Rottweiler, but that doesn't make it a Poodle.

Thanks , Alan. Good post.

The most obvious difference is that the 2013 version will only work over a much smaller range of angles than the older one. In fact, it seems like to me like there's really only one angle that will work - or it just doesn't shave. That angle seems pretty close to the "standard" 30 degrees, so if you have a good technique with that angle, I suspect you might not find much difference between the two versions. I prefer the 2011 R41 at a shallower angle, but the 2013 version simply won't shave at the same angle - nor will it shave at an angle as steep as the 2011 either.

The 2013's narrow range of angles makes it sound a lot like the Fatip. Which is to say as effective as the 2011 R41, but more forgiving because, unlike the 2011, it doesn't nick if the angle is wrong -- it doesn't do much of anything. Will be interested to hear your reactions after a face shave.

I just got my new R41 today. I haven't yet tried to shave with it, but I will tomorrow. The changes are very subtle, indeed. I actually need a caliper to measure the differences in the refined version. I'll post more tomorrow, after I've had a chance to use it, and will eventually post a new review.

Looking forward to it, Jim. No one knows the 2011 R41 better than you!

Top Bottom