What's new

The Apollo family of razors

The Apollo company, still known today as Apollo even though they no longer make or sell razors, has a long and impressive story in the history of shaving. Likely started as a straight razor company, there's little known about them until the release of their uniquely designed double edged blade razor, with a proprietary blade that was released with a strop to keep the blade sharp longer than the comparable Gillette blades. The head of this early Apollo razor (to be displayed in my next installment) had curved edges on the blade guard, so Gillette-styled blades would not work in this razor.

Possibly German arrogance, or maybe the design was just more effective. In any case, Apollo eventually compromised on their blade & head design to follow the more conventional Gillette design and allow their razors to achieve higher market penetration. The German engineers were pioneers with the slant designs and were early developers of the adjustables as well.

The early Apollo adjustable razors were released around the time of the Gillette Fatboy razors -- late 1950s & early 1960s. And there was no lcak of ingenuity and innovation, since the Apollo adjustable razor allowed for the adjuster knob to be detached from the razor handle and the inner mechanism could be twisted up or down to change the blade exposure beyond what was possible with the adjuster knob.

Unfortunately the Apollos often used pot metal in the head design. This lower quality metal didn't maintain the plating as well as solid brass (like what Gillette often used), and so the plating often peeled off or the head got corrosion in areas that should have had a solid smooth surfacce. Nonetheless, these razors are among the heftiest, most effective shavers made in the 20th century. Well worth owning and using. Just not as extensive as their Gillette cousins. I'll continue this presentation of the Apollo line, and encourage any others of you who have the rare and minty Apollo set to share it with our community of shaving connoisseurs.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Several Apollo Mikrons and a few leather cased traveler sets. Like Gillette & Rotbart and a few other companies, they made blades as well as razors, but it's doubtful they gave away these expensive razors just to encourage blade purchase.
proxy.php

They made a nice 4-piece as well as a number of sets with Bakelite handles.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Such hefty razors. The Ben Hur (not pictured here) was among the classiest & heftiest made by Apollo.
proxy.php

These adjustables have the potential for a much greater blade exposure than the Gillette adjustables.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Beautiful and well engineered razors. Sure wish the modern Merkur adjustable were as well made as these vintage Apollos.

I'll provide more in this Apollo illustrated history, but please add to this thread or start your own documenting the colorful history of the Apollo razors.

[SIZE4]Jake, I would like to know more about the years the Apollo Mikron was manufactured. I understand it was patented in 1949, and was made from 1950 to about 1960.

You suggest the Apollo Mikron entered the market in the late 1950's or early 1960's. I don't say you are wrong, but I would like to know your sources of evidence.

Thanx[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
some beautiful razor pr0n there! I have never seen most of those Apollos before, wouldn't mind adding a few to the collection. thanks for sharing!

WOW! OUTSTANDING photo's Jake! I'd like to just run into ONE adjustable. You have two. How cool. I love my Apollo and fortunately the plating is still intact after all these years. I won't even put my photo next to yours. It'll be embarrassing. Thanks for being here at B&B Jake.

Here is the instruction sheet for the Apollo Mikron, and the key used to to adjust the inner tuning barrel for the adjuster.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see how the key fits into the barrel and it twists the inner adjuster to fine tune the blade gap opening using the bottom adjuster knob.

proxy.php

On the bottom of the instruction sheet is a date (possibly a German mark for copyright or printing date) of June 5, 1955. So I stand corrected regarding the release of the Apollo adjustable razor. Looks like the Apollo adjustable razors preceded the early Gillette Toggle and FatBoy razors by a few years.

Jake, I would like to know more about the years the Apollo Mikron was manufactured. I understand it was patented in 1949, and was made from 1950 to about 1960.

You suggest the Apollo Mikron entered the market in the late 1950's or early 1960's. I don't say you are wrong, but I would like to know your sources of evidence.

Thanx
I think you may be correct Steve. See my additional comments. At least we know the Apollo adjustables were available in 1955, possibly even earlier as you suggest.

The adjustables look fantastic!!!!!!! Wow would love to find one of them in the wild :D

Thanks for sharing Jake, as always your pictures are stunning.

Very very nice write-up Jake. Exquisite pictures as usual. Thanks for posting. About the time line of the adjustables- I always was under the impression that Gillette was the forerunner of these small wonders (1958). Interesting. Can you assume that Apollo was the first company to own the patent rights to the adjustables..?

Very very nice write-up Jake. Exquisite pictures as usual. Thanks for posting. About the time line of the adjustables- I always was under the impression that Gillette was the forerunner of these small wonders (1958). Interesting. Can you assume that Apollo was the first company to own the patent rights to the adjustables..?
How can we get the patent registration for the Apollos? I wonder if when Gillette was considering the acquisition of Rotbart during the 1950s -- to move into the German market -- they discovered the Apollo adjustables before developing their own. The Gillette adjustables are of course a much different design & mechanism, but the basic idea and marketing opportunity must have caught the attention of the Gillette executives as they toured germany after the War -- looking for opportunities.

And to keep this thread alive a little longer, here are some images of the early Apollo DE I mentioned above -- not the one with the strop, but with the proprietary blades that prevented them from being as popular as razors designed with the Gillette blade template. This razor appears to be silver-plated -- like some of the Gillettes made during the 1920s -- the likely age of this set. The tarnish and shine are what I am basing my opinion on.

The blades aren't very sharp and have some slight corrosion on them, so I am awaiting an original strop that came with this style Apollo razor before trying a shave with this razor.
proxy.php

proxy.php

I inserted a blade to show how it looks loaded.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The blade has the name of Apollo stamped on it, and has an unusual sheen -- possibly from age.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Classy razor that I am really looking forward to trying out.

I just re-read your 1:st post. Apollo used pot metal for many of their early razors and several members have examples of these and sadly they look far from grand these days. But there are exceptions. Here are a couple of pics of my Apollo. Don´t know for sure but I don´t believe pot metal was used. The coating is thick as a brick. And it´s an early one. Can´t really figure out the decade but since it´s stamped with D.R.G.M it´s pre WW2 for sure. Any insight in the age of this one would be appreciated.

$DSC01175.jpg $DSC01176.jpg $DSC01177.jpg

Alex- I and let me speak for the whole community appreciate your work with saving info for eternity. Also with uploading pictures from other peoples links (that eventually expire)

Thank you, it is a labor of love ( by the way i love your country)

Outstanding collection and beautiful pictures Jake! I have nothing in my modest collection that would compare to the quality of your Apollo razors, but I do have one uncased Apollo razor with a unique handle (ala greek column) and a Ben Hur razor set, which I think is a sister company of Apollo. To keep it in one thread, I willl post pictures of those two here shortly.

Outstanding collection and beautiful pictures Jake! I have nothing in my modest collection that would compare to the quality of your Apollo razors, but I do have one uncased Apollo razor with a unique handle (ala greek column) and a Ben Hur razor set, which I think is a sister company of Apollo. To keep it in one thread, I willl post pictures of those two here shortly.
Would love to see your Apollos too. The Ben Hur was one of Apollos more famous models -- with the name emblazoned on the head. Not in my collection at this time. Post your photos when you have a chance.

Jake, those are some fine German razors. I used to have a small collection of old razors about 14 years ago. They went bye-bye during an unpleasantness with a former spouse. The only one I have left is a German travel razor and a couple of WW2 Gold-Stern packs of blades. Mine isn't anything to took at, it's fairly worn and has no maker on it that I can tell. The only marks are A.Z. Germany inside the blade head and Made in Germany on the small square case. The case is lined in pruple velvet like material.

Top Bottom