What's new

New Simpson Blew My Mind!

So my first experience with badger brushes was a Simpson Special in best that I got a couple of months ago and was blown away with the softness, water retention, and lather-ability. After using this brush many times and loving its performance it begged one question. Allot of the brushes I see are much bigger than my Special, why would a bigger brush matter? What difference could it really make? So I was on the hunt for a new brush and at first looked at 22mm knots, but would I really notice a size difference? So I decided to got with a 23-24mm knot feeling that this would be a good size and it was fairly common, and if size wasn't my thing at least it wasn't a monster of a brush and I would know to get a 20-22mm knot next time or maybe go for a 26mm if I wanted bigger, but this size just seemed the logical next step. So after much deliberation and a budget of about $100 to $140 I decided on a Simpson Commodore X3 and so far I am floored! The feel, the size, the water retention, and the lather, WOW! I have only defunked it with the dish soap treatment and lathered once with Lemon Lime TOBS. I need to start by saying that its not the perfect lather because the brush held way more water than I was expecting and there were a few bubbles because of this but the result was explosive and I have never made lather this easily. I had no idea and wanted to share my experience in case someone else who has never tried a larger brush is on the fence about it. I'm sold!
$DSCF6784.jpg$DSCF6785.jpg$DSCF6787.jpg$DSCF6789.jpg

A very satisfied customer indeed! I have a feeling this is going to be my go to brush for a while. I also have a SOC that is just starting to break in, and the B&B essential boar along with a cheap EJ and VDH boar. Gonna be hard to spread the love around :biggrin1:

My Commodore X3 is my largest brush. I rememebr hating it at first because it holds a LOT of water and I could never get the lather right. Now, nothing else performs quite like it on a puck of MWF.

Haven't tried any soaps yet, all I have in my stable is Colonel Conk almond. I have heard allot of buzz about MWF but have yet to try it

You're starting slow...that's okay. Glycerin soaps like Conk can be lathered by just about anything, but a traditional hard soap is where a brush like this will shine. In terms of creams, the biggest difference that a larger, denser knot makes is of course face-feel. You've experienced that already.

I think you made a good choice. Simpson doesn't have many value brushes in their stable but the Commodore X3 is one of them.

Haven't tried any soaps yet, all I have in my stable is Colonel Conk almond. I have heard allot of buzz about MWF but have yet to try it

A very nice brush you've got .The jump up to a good badger is rewarding indeed! I use a 24mm knot in finest. It's the right size for my face.As for MWF, go for it. Tallow and badger are a match made in shaving heaven to me! :badger:

MWF is hard to lather for some. Take a look at D.R. Harris....top notch soaps and the best of the "3 T's" in terms of soap.

Those Simpsons knots + a good tallow soap = shaving bliss!

Try Tabac. Or a nice tallow stick. Also, face lathering = more brush time on face...! Why waste that knot brushing a bowl...?:thumbup1:

Those Simpsons knots + a good tallow soap = shaving bliss!

Try Tabac. Or a nice tallow stick. Also, face lathering = more brush time on face...! Why waste that knot brushing a bowl...?:thumbup1:
You make a good point, not muck of a face lather-er but in all fairness I haven't really tried it much since I moved away from my VDH starter set

Bigger brushes are fun. Just watch out for the ones that require a crane operators license to wield :lol:

proxy.php

What on Earth are you waiting for?:blink: Hurry, do yourself a favour and try The Fat!!!:thumbup1::biggrin1:

BTW Nice brush!

Last edited:
Top Bottom