What's new

New Simpson Blew My Mind!

I like the handle very much. Very firm grip and hooks well on the edge of my bowl so it doesn't fall in

I started with the Simpsons and have to say they are on of the Top Brushes out there, You have a beautiful brush I must say :drool:

Lathered again today but squeezed most of the water out of the brush first and got yougurty/ cool whip style lather without even adding any more water to it! This brush is amazing, but for the price it better be:lol:

That knot looks fantastic! Congrats, mate!

I see people make this comment quite often. Can you explain to me what you see that allows you to make that comment? What makes a good knot is what I'm asking, and how can one spot it.

Thanks

I used my X1 with MWF this morning. Easily held enough lather for 3 passes. I can't imagine how massive the X3 would be!

This brush is amazing, but for the price it better be:lol:
:lol: There aren't too many brushes out there with 24mmx50mm specs available for $80. The Commodore X3 is quite reasonably priced in Brush Land. Even among Simpsons' own offerings the downright sanity of the price causes one to double-take! You made a sensible choice, because most other comparable brushes would take you into 3-digits.

:lol: There aren't too many brushes out there with 24mmx50mm specs available for $80. The Commodore X3 is quite reasonably priced in Brush Land. Even among Simpsons' own offerings the downright sanity of the price causes one to double-take! You made a sensible choice, because most other comparable brushes would take you into 3-digits.
This is true, I guess I'm just sayin' that outside brush land in the real world $80 is allot to spend on some hair stuffed into a handle, but I would gladly spend it again and probably spend more on a brush in the future. I'm just glad that for the price it has impressed me very much and makes me smile every time I use it.

This is true, I guess I'm just sayin' that outside brush land in the real world $80 is allot to spend on some hair stuffed into a handle, but I would gladly spend it again and probably spend more on a brush in the future. I'm just glad that for the price it has impressed me very much and makes me smile every time I use it.

It's good to hear so much about this brush. Not a lot of talk about it and it seems to be a real winner for you :001_smile

Originally WCS goofed and sent me a commodore X2 and I only looked at it once before putting back in the box but I would have no hesitations in buying any of the commodore line with the results I have gotten from the X3, when looking for brushes I almost bought a Simpson Polo 8 and in retrospect I'm glad I got this brush first and am not sure what my next brush will be but have been looking at Shavemac custom brushes with a similar size knot to the commodore

Originally WCS goofed and sent me a commodore X2 and I only looked at it once before putting back in the box but I would have no hesitations in buying any of the commodore line with the results I have gotten from the X3, when looking for brushes I almost bought a Simpson Polo 8 and in retrospect I'm glad I got this brush first and am not sure what my next brush will be but have been looking at Shavemac custom brushes with a similar size knot to the commodore

You made the right choice. I had a Polo 8 in super and I could not really get into it. Finally sold it to someone who is enjoying it now

Psssst! Also look at the Bullgoose Shaving Vie Long Silvertip. 25x50 bulb knot, creamy white tips (better than Simpsons' best hair). Pure luxury.

A cheaper route would be the Vintage Blades brand brushes...many of those have similar specs for MUCH cheaper, $40 or so I believe.

Not worried about price so much as long as I feel like I get my moneys worth and by (better than Simpsons' best hair) What exactly do you mean, what makes it better in your mind?

Not worried about price so much as long as I feel like I get my moneys worth and by (better than Simpsons' best hair) What exactly do you mean, what makes it better in your mind?
Aside from appearance (if that matters to you) it's noticeably softer both dry and wet. It has the "gel like" tips of high end white badger. I have 3 Simpsons brushes, all in Best grade, and all 3 vary in terms of softness. Not to say I don't like it, because it is softer than, say, Edwin Jagger/Muhle's Best/Super grades, but the Vie Long is softer than even my 2-band badger. It also has plenty of backbone. The only thing is, it's a bulb-shaped knot. Some people don't like those.

But hey, the beehive handle in Butterscotch is cool!

I was just starting to feel settled with my own Simpson Special. Then I read this and I start itching to buy another even more expensive brush! Probably a good thing that I don't have any money right now.

Anyway, thanks for the review. Great pictures.

It was an incredible upgrade from my Special, my wife has been wanting a badger brush and if I get another badger brush I think I'll give the special to her, right now she uses a cheap EJ boar.

Beautiful brush and super looking lather! I've been using my newly acquired shavemac with 23mm knot in silvertip, super luxurious on the face and whips up a storm with creams. I don't have a best badger, but my only other brush is a TOBS in pure badger, I still like that one a lot, especially for hard soaps.

As much luck as I've had with Simpson Best grade I am really tempted to stick with the brand and have also been looking at the 50 series, the Duke, and the Chubby. I hear tell these brushes might be a bit denser and maybe better for hard soaps and face lathering. So far it seem like the commodore can fit this bill as well but the a fore mentioned brushed might be a touch better.

As much luck as I've had with Simpson Best grade I am really tempted to stick with the brand and have also been looking at the 50 series, the Duke, and the Chubby. I hear tell these brushes might be a bit denser and maybe better for hard soaps and face lathering. So far it seem like the commodore can fit this bill as well but the a fore mentioned brushed might be a touch better.

My all time favorite face lathering brush is the Duke 2. You will hear me recommend it a LOT.

Top Bottom