What's new

L'Essor SE French classic

Here is a beautiful mont Essor single edge wedge blade razor. The samne manufactuerer who eventualoly developed one of the 1st adjustables, but this is really a single adjustment. Just that the knob at the bottom of the handle adjusts to allow the wedge blade to get inserted into the razor itself. Very well made and incredibly clean and classy. One of those ageless razors that must have been made in the mid-1930s, before the beginning of WWII, and waiting for the 21st century.
proxy.php

Not complete without the outer shipper.
proxy.php

proxy.php

It's actually called a model No. 10, so what were the previous 9 models? Does anyone have one of those to show? Displayed here with the honing & sharpening blade handle.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Here the knob is tightened down and the blade assembly closed.
proxy.php

And here opened awaiting the insertion of the wedge blade.
proxy.php

The blade inserted, the assembly still wide open.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Closed with the blade inserted and ready for a vintage shave.

Jake,
I've seen those single edge versions of the L'Essor, but thought they pre-dated WW1 or at least no later than the twenties. That box you have with it though certainly couldn't have been from an earlier period.

Here's my L'Essor DE. I used to have two, but sold the other one to a member who fell in love with it. How does it shave? Amazing. One of the best shavers I've used. It's right up there with Leresche and Kirby and at a fraction of the price. Wonderful balance and very nimble in the tight spots.

View attachment 313149

View attachment 313152

View attachment 313150

View attachment 313151

Nice one Jim. How do you like the shave it provides?

The wedge blade that came with it was not in good shape and I'm not very talented when it comes to sharpening a blade sharp enough to shave with. The blades in your set look like they might be close to good enough?

-jim

The wedge blade that came with it was not in good shape and I'm not very talented when it comes to sharpening a blade sharp enough to shave with. The blades in your set look like they might be close to good enough?

-jim

I'll bet someone on the honing forum would do it for you. I would if I had the skill.

A beautiful set, Jake. I picked up mine on ebay France, razor and blade only. You wouldn't think there would be much difference, but I much prefer my French SEs (L'Essor and Le Touriste)to the Rapides.

That's one SE I'd love to shave with. Beautiful Jake. Something you wouldn't mind leaving out on the counter to display. Thank you for sharing.

I'm thinking it won't because of the way the mid hold downs are spaced for the wedge.

-jim

Maybe....I have a similar French razor with mid hold downs like that and I use a modern SE blade with no problems, its a very nice razor to shave with

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think you are right, it could be done, but I'm not that enthused to give it a go with mine.

Here I got the old style Treet blade loaded (thicker spine - I use it for cutting boxes, etc) and it took a bit of adjusting. The wedge blade is wider and fills in the space perfectly, while the modern blade does not. Notice that it's only catching the last bit of the stops, not even 50% of either side.

With the mechanism tightened up, the blade is under tension and pressed to the top of the wedge blade guides and is tight against the stops. It can definitely be used now. But, if that blade slips and I don't know how easy or not that could be, I could potentially have a gouge in my face. Now if it engaged the stops at least 80% of the stops, I would be more confident.

-jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom