What's new

Worse with every day

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Isn't hht just dropping a hair onto the blade? How could you mess that up?

There are a few points to note that can mess up a HHT.
Holding hair too far out from blade, root in or out makes a difference and holding hair too loose. I am sure there are a few others.

I would love to try out one of those razors that delivers great shaves but fails the HHT.

Even wedges pass the HHT

Really sounds like your razors are not shave ready.

IMO the HHT is a wonderful test but you must correlate the results of the test to the stone and the shave.

I think a properly honed razor should cut ANY hair, coarse or fine. My razors can pass the HHT with my wife's thick hair or my daughters angel thin hair.

Personally I will not shave with a razor that does not pass MY HHT. I have heard of folks getting great shaves from razors that failed the HHT-I would love to try one of those razors-I am willing to bet either the shaves sucks or they don't know how to do the HHT.

i am a bit tired right now, but what are the other choices? it seems like you have both sides of the coin accounted for.

Not really.

If they are getting great shaves from the razor then I would bet it would pass the my HHT.

If it fails MY HHT, I would bet I would think the shave sucks.

I have evaluated many edges from different people that they have been shaving with that I would not put to my face

But as you can see from my custom title-I am an edge snob.

so i don't give a crap edge a free ride either. but i still don't understand the difference . maybe it's too subtle for me right now. it's early and i haven't had coffee yet. didn't have to go to work today, but have to shovel snow soon.

example person shaves with edge that either sucks or can't pass HHT. they say can't pass HHT but shaves "great"

so variants

the shaving edge actually sucks (which likely could be an edge not passing your HHT), but can be made to have a passable result in 3+ passes

the shave edge is actually good and it would probably pass your HHT and perhaps the other person can't perform the HHT.

what i am missing the other variants that could be available to choose.

the shaving edge actually sucks (which likely could be an edge not passing your HHT), but can be made to have a passable result in 3+ passes

the shave edge is actually good and it would probably pass your HHT and perhaps the other person can't perform the HHT.

The third option here is that the razor wouldn't pass any HHT (to include Doc's) and still shaves amazing.

I've been reading around, and I've seen a number of reputable people claiming they've done one thing or another to hone their blade, their blade didn't pass HHT, and it was one of the cleanest shaves they've had. It might not mean that they don't know what a good shave feels like, it might just mean there's more involved than how well a razor cuts a hair.

I never get a decent HHT result from a coti edge. But the shave is good and that's all that matters. Tried the Undilucot today. It was the same. No HHT but a good and smooth shave.

I've read that too. I haven't that experience yet really. I've only honed on La nouvelle and La grise layers in addition to some unknowns and I've gotten some type of hht.

Don't get me wrong, I don't espouse the hht as the be all end all but it helps me figure out edge consistency along the blade.

I guess I have been lucky that these tools work for me. I also try 4 different types of hair.hairs from my head and chest, my wife's head and my children's head.

I don't do TNT or tpt, typically. Just not sensitive to those right now.

The third option here is that the razor wouldn't pass any HHT (to include Doc's) and still shaves amazing.
That is the razor I want to experience.

Don't get me wrong passing the HHT does not mean a great or even a good shave.

Failing MY HHT does mean a crappy shave for ME

If anyone has one of those razors that "shaves great" but does not pass the HHT please send it to me and I will test it out, both on my HHT and my shave. I will then hone it and send it back to you for you to perform the HHT again.

That is the razor I want to experience.

Don't get me wrong passing the HHT does not mean a great or even a good shave.

Failing MY HHT does mean a crappy shave for ME

If anyone has one of those razors that "shaves great" but does not pass the HHT please send it to me and I will test it out, both on my HHT and my shave. I will then hone it and send it back to you for you to perform the HHT again.

i kind of agree. i just honed the same razor twice,

first using nagura progression on CNAT that barely passed HHT in some areas from root side, then shaved 2 wtg passes and it wasn't that great for me based on my criteria (probably okay for others though based on what i think i hear and what i believe to be true, especially if used for 3 or 4 passes) .

Then i just rehoned on chosera progression and it passed HHT at 5 from both sides of the root and the first pass on it was magnificent.. i didn't even bother trying another pass as it almost wasn't needed.

had i not shaved 2-3 hours earlier, i would have performed my usual two passer.

I think my first hone today would have passed off as shave ready by many though...

Is the sharpest possible edge really ideal though?

It could be that a slightly duller edge results in a healthier shave, from what I understand with people saying a failed HHT shaved great. This could have a lot to do with technique, but there could be much more going on than we know about during a shave. I can't imagine a properly executed HHT could ever fail on an edge that is exceptionally sharp. This would be but one hypothesis I could draw from your discussion here, but would be interesting to explore.

I can say for myself that if the razor doesn't pass HHT for me, it won't cut my whiskers either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom