What's new

Experimenting with a shavette.

Try a Weck Sextoblade. You'll never go back to a DE based shavette. Feels VERY close to a traditional straight.

Im not really looking for an alternative to a straight, just a stepping stone to a straight. While I'm getting to grips with the honing process I want a straight style razor that I know is sharp and shave ready. The shavette fits the bill there. I shave twice with it, then change the blade.

About $.70 per blade on the Professional series. They supposedly last longer than a DE too. I'm currently testing that theory.

Please keep us updated, on this thread if you want. There are plenty of Japanese style RG/SS feathers for 120 USD incl. free shipping. I'm very tempted. Just worried about the overall cost. I'll have to find an alternative source for blades, other than here in Denmark. Here, they are a novelty, and carry a premium price tag.

I get about 4 shaves from an Astra, whether its in a safety razor or a shavette. (Half blade used twice in shavette). That's about 400 shaves for $10.

Just had a very nice shave with this cheap shavette. I did a long prep today and after letting my Simpson Colonel brush have a good long soak I left much more water on it than I usually do.

I used regular tabac cream and whipped up a lovely thick lather. i used almond oil on the beard which was 3 days and thick.

A fresh half Astra blade and it was like wiping away the lather. I was loving so much I got a bit carried away with the speed and picked up two small nicks. Nothing serious.

Technique went very well. My left hand is getting betting at shaving str8 style.

HHT2,3 & 4 ?????
i only know the one. Do tell.

Nick,
It didn't appear that anyone answered this for you, so here's a good link that explains it:

http://www.coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

I never settle for less than HHT-1 or 2 off of the King 1k. When I have, it's always been trouble on the later stone(s). I've read elsewhere that we shouldn't care about the HHT and that it isn't always indicative, but I'm not good enough to judge by any other standards and this one has been a reliable indicator.

I'll bet you get HHT-5 off your shavette everytime though.

Thanks for the advice. I do like the look of the Jp. style feather. Kami-cool. But, the blades (especially feather's own) seem very expensive and that kinda rubs me the wrong way. The blades I've seen here cost about 3x more than the carts I ditched last year. So I'll pass on the feather.

I don't know what you find expensive but seeing that you're from Denmark have you looked at the Nassrasur shop in Germany? I have imported several times from the US but almost every time I get hit with big custom fines so I now buy in Europe (there are other shops in Europe that sell them besides Nassrasur). I need 3 packs a year, that's for a daily face and head shave, I don't find it that expensive.

I don't know what you find expensive but seeing that you're from Denmark have you looked at the Nassrasur shop in Germany? I have imported several times from the US but almost every time I get hit with big custom fines so I now buy in Europe (there are other shops in Europe that sell them besides Nassrasur). I need 3 packs a year, that's for a daily face and head shave, I don't find it that expensive.

Hmmmmm. Thanks. A few other threads have discussed the number of times you can get a comfortable shave with their blades. Maybe its not that expensive after all.

Just had a look at that site. Thanks for the tip!

Nick,
It didn't appear that anyone answered this for you, so here's a good link that explains it:

http://www.coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html

I never settle for less than HHT-1 or 2 off of the King 1k. When I have, it's always been trouble on the later stone(s). I've read elsewhere that we shouldn't care about the HHT and that it isn't always indicative, but I'm not good enough to judge by any other standards and this one has been a reliable indicator.

I'll bet you get HHT-5 off your shavette everytime though.

Hey man, thanks a lot. I'm struggling with it right now. Got a HHT for most of the blade the other day then lost it again when I went up to 3000/4000. not sure where it went wrong. Oh well, back to the drawing board :) It is a gold dollar I'm practicing on, so it doesn't matter if I keep screwing up while I learn :)

Last edited:

Update: Holly Crap that's a great site. Thanks!

Straights are a trip. A long one that requires multiple stops along the way. You can't just grab one and be good at it... at least not mere mortals.

Shavettes suck in my opinion but I recognize that many like them. However, a good honing on that Dovo will get you a close, comfortable shave and if you are only getting a couple of weepers with the shavette -the Dovo will be like silk.

With experience, you will be able to tell immediately if the blade is up to snuff. I was honing my competition entry and it was passing HHT easily (BTW: you can find the HHT levels here or at: http://www.coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html) - but the second I started to shave with it, I knew I was missing something. Back to honing and a few passes on a diamond paddle. Instant improvement. Very easy DFS on a two day growth.

I know you are across the pond from me but I would gladly put a nice edge on one of your GDs so you would have the reference for your Dovo. In fact, it might be better if I just hone up one of my spares and send it to you. You pay the $4 I paid and the postage. Just let me know (PM me).

Last edited:
Straights are a trip. A long one that requires multiple stops along the way. You can't just grab one and be good at it... at least not mere mortals.

Shavettes suck in my opinion but I recognize that many like them. However, a good honing on that Dovo will get you a close, comfortable shave and if you are only getting a couple of weepers with the shavette -the Dovo will be like silk.

With experience, you will be able to tell immediately if the blade is up to snuff. I was honing my competition entry and it was passing HHT easily (BTW: you can find the HHT levels here or at: http://www.coticule.be/hanging-hair-test.html) - but the second I started to shave with it, I knew I was missing something. Back to honing and a few passes on a diamond paddle. Instant improvement. Very easy DFS on a two day growth.

I know you are across the pond from me but I would gladly put a nice edge on one of your GDs so you would have the reference for your Dovo. In fact, it might be better if I just hone up one of my spares and send it to you. You pay the $4 I paid and the postage. Just let me know (PM me).

PM sent.

Great offer from Ladykate, nothing better then trying out a straight that has been honed properly, it really makes a world of difference! I was lucky enough to have also found a good soul who send me a properly honed straight to compare to what I had when I started.

Great offer from Ladykate, nothing better then trying out a straight that has been honed properly, it really makes a world of difference! I was lucky enough to have also found a good soul who send me a properly honed straight to compare to what I had when I started.

Amen. And i know now that I've missed that. Both for the shaving and for honing. I got my dovo honed last in December, but but with straights, if you're not a competent honer, then you really need backup blades, especially when you're just starting out. You've got to keep up the practice.

While I'm still waiting for my honing skills to peak (right now I'm honing more than I'm shaving.lol), I've put my DEs aside and I'm shaving all the time with the shavette. I know it's sharp every time. I'm building up my confidence, technique and breaking in my left hand.

LadyKates offer is a win win for me. An extra blade as a backup and a bar set that I can judge my other blades and honing efforts by.

thanks LK!

I shaved with it this morning and got a nice DFS. Sterilized it, stropped it, oiled it and packaged it up. It's on the way. After you use it, strop it and test it - it should improve if your stropping technique is good. It will not be the 'cut through hot butter' feeling of the shavette. You should be able to feel the whiskers (and hear them to some extent) when you shave. It shouldn't tug but it will give you feedback. That is one of the big differences between a shavette and a regular straight. You will have to work a bit more to get a DFS or better but it won't be onerous - it will be a pleasure.

I shaved with it this morning and got a nice DFS. Sterilized it, stropped it, oiled it and packaged it up. It's on the way. After you use it, strop it and test it - it should improve if your stropping technique is good. It will not be the 'cut through hot butter' feeling of the shavette. You should be able to feel the whiskers (and hear them to some extent) when you shave. It shouldn't tug but it will give you feedback. That is one of the big differences between a shavette and a regular straight. You will have to work a bit more to get a DFS or better but it won't be onerous - it will be a pleasure.

i'm sitting with a big cheesy grin.
Dan the Man!

Please keep us updated, on this thread if you want. There are plenty of Japanese style RG/SS feathers for 120 USD incl. free shipping. I'm very tempted. Just worried about the overall cost. I'll have to find an alternative source for blades, other than here in Denmark. Here, they are a novelty, and carry a premium price tag.

I get about 4 shaves from an Astra, whether its in a safety razor or a shavette. (Half blade used twice in shavette). That's about 400 shaves for $10.

I'm a financial analyst for a living. I did a whole work up comparing the costs of a DE, a Dovo Shavette, a Feather Artist Club and a traditional straight razor versus the cartridge razors I was using. Here is the list of cheapest to most expensive shaving options:

1) DE - Merkur 38C w/ Feather blades
2) Dovo Shavette
3) Traditional straight razor
4) Feather Artist Club series
5) Gillette Fusion Pro Glide

1 & 2 were really close in costs. The DE just barely beat the Dovo Shavette. Next, was the traditional straight. I just calculated to cost of sending it out for a honing twice a year. Buying the equipment to hone the razors yourself could substantially increase the cost of using a traditional straight razor. The Feather Artist Club series was the most expensive. Still it is literally a fraction of the cost of cartridge razors to own/operate. In fact, a person could buy options one through four and still spend less than cartridges over the long term in my analysis.

Last edited:
Also, up to shave #4 with a Professional series blade. Still truckin'! I think I read somewhere on here about getting up to 10 shaves or more with these blades.

Top Bottom