What's new

Experimenting with a shavette.

For some reason, I've been using regular straights for more than a week. Weird. I usually have to take out the Feather AC but recently I've wanted the straight experience. Two different kinds of shaves but both are nice.

Hi Dan - what did you finish that GD on? I mean last stone.

I've just been doing a honing session with one of mine on lapping film. It went very well. I finished on 1 micron. It took the hair off my leg like it wasn't really attached. I haven't shaved with it yet (the one I honed) as I'm waiting for a double canvas strop to be delivered along with the standard red and black stop pastes.

I was examining both GDs under a little scope, and yours looks smoother. Less scratches on the bevel. Just wondering what the grit was on the last stone you used.

Last edited:
My blades get a touchup every 5 shaves or so. I shaved yesterday with a new feather in a slant. Maybe Im out of practice but the shave wasnt too good. No cuts, just left a lot of stubble. I didnt want to go for bbs with the slant on account of some razor burn I would have had! But thats why I do the straight. I did a 3 pass, this AM and nice! I touched up the blade pre shave so it was perfect.

Aren't slants supposed to be more aggressive?

Aren't slants supposed to be more aggressive?
Yes, its just that I dont like DEs as much as my straights.For me to get bbs all over with a DE is 4 passes and some blade buffing. Ive done it many times. Everybody is different. But Ive found my way. Enjoy!

Yes, its just that I dont like DEs as much as my straights.For me to get bbs all over with a DE is 4 passes and some blade buffing. Ive done it many times. Everybody is different. But Ive found my way. Enjoy!

I was just thinking that if that was me, a slant loaded with a feather = too close for comfort! Ouch.

I set the bevel with a 325 DMT (taped spine), honed it on lapping paper to 1. Then used diamond paddles (diamond paste on balsa) and stropped it with 3.5, 1, .5 about 30 laps each. It was passing HHT after the lapping film but my HHT isn't a sign that the razor is ready - it just shows if I got the edge uniformly polished. I test shaved with it and didn't like it and went back and did another round of 30 on the diamond paddles. Finished with 60 laps on a Kaniyama strop - 20 on the suede side and 40 on the smooth side. Just about any strop will work... I just like saying Kaniyama...

Hi Dan - what did you finish that GD on? I mean last stone.

I've just been doing a honing session with one of mine on lapping film. It went very well. I finished on 1 micron. It took the hair off my leg like it wasn't really attached. I haven't shaved with it yet (the one I honed) as I'm waiting for a double canvas strop to be delivered along with the standard red and black stop pastes.

I was examining both GDs under a little scope, and yours looks smoother. Less scratches on the bevel. Just wondering what the grit was on the last stone you used.

My experience is pretty much identical to Nxspam's. Over the last 3 years, I purchased about 20 straights. Some were brand new--Dovo in stainless steel, a C-mon Cadillac from a barber supply store and a Thiers-Issard Le Dandy. The rest were used razors from the Bay. I have stones of almost every grit, paddles, pastes and strops. About 6 months ago I picked up a Parker SR1 stainless steel which gave me the best shaves of them all. It was a real epiphany. Sure is easy to insert half of a DE blade of choice. The take home: My honing process needs improvement. Also, glad to read that I am not the only one to touch up some problem areas with a DE.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that if that was me, a slant loaded with a feather = too close for comfort! Ouch.
The feathers a fine blade and the slant is great as well. Straight razor shaving for me is unlimited angles and a very sharp but incredibly SMOOTH blade. I can stretch with the straight but I wasnt able to as much with the de because it always felt harsh, too much razor burn. Straight razor is closer and much more comfortable than either a de or shavette IMO. Ive tried em all, this works for me. There are many who feel differently about it and they should do whatever makes them comfortable. I know you might say a shavette should be the same as a straight but for me its not. Anyway enjoy!

I set the bevel with a 325 DMT (taped spine), honed it on lapping paper to 1. Then used diamond paddles (diamond paste on balsa) and stropped it with 3.5, 1, .5 about 30 laps each. It was passing HHT after the lapping film but my HHT isn't a sign that the razor is ready - it just shows if I got the edge uniformly polished. I test shaved with it and didn't like it and went back and did another round of 30 on the diamond paddles. Finished with 60 laps on a Kaniyama strop - 20 on the suede side and 40 on the smooth side. Just about any strop will work... I just like saying Kaniyama...

Kaniyama. mmmmm. I see what you mean.

The feathers a fine blade and the slant is great as well. Straight razor shaving for me is unlimited angles and a very sharp but incredibly SMOOTH blade. I can stretch with the straight but I wasnt able to as much with the de because it always felt harsh, too much razor burn. Straight razor is closer and much more comfortable than either a de or shavette IMO. Ive tried em all, this works for me. There are many who feel differently about it and they should do whatever makes them comfortable. I know you might say a shavette should be the same as a straight but for me its not. Anyway enjoy!

I like using them for the technique. The left/hand right training, skin stretching and angles. I definately don't think they are the same as a straight, but good training. Easier to go from a straight style shavette to a straight, than from a DE to a real straight. I still don't know what's the perfect shaver for me. I love my Gillette adjustables. Very relaxing, close shaves. As I've mentioned in this thread, next up is a Kami style straight /shavette. I've got a CJB on the way from one of B&B's bretheren in Korea.

The take home: My honing process needs improvement. Also, glad to read that I am not the only one to touch up some problem areas with a DE.

That's what I've concluded. Practice, practice, practice. That's why I ordered a couple of gold dollars. I daren't go near my Dovo yet :)

Use a permanent black marker to blacken the bevel. Take 5 laps on your finest hone or film.The remaining black is the amount of metal that needs to be removed. If its a lot go to lower grit, if its a little then I wouldgo to 4k or equivalent. Dull the edge with a glass slightly. Do 20 circles on both sides, 10 laps 10 x strokes. Test the sharpnesson the top of your thumbnail from heel to toe. Once you have the blade sharp on the 4k throughout, go to the 8k or equivalent. 20 circles 10 laps, 10 x strokes. Look at the edge with a magnifyer. Look for scratched left from lower grit. If need be, 20 circles, 10 laps 10 x again. By this time you should be very sharp. Got to finisher 12k 20 circles, 10 laps 10 x strokes. look at edge with magnifyer. eliminate scratches if necessary with more circles and laps and x strokes. I use at this point either crox balsa or .5 micron diamond paste.15 laps. 30 laps on linen or felt, 50 on leather. You are done! Gentlemen, start your engines! Im not an expert but this routine works for me. I have not discovered this, just passing down what I have read about. Straight razor has a built in guide for honing, the spine. As long as you keep it and the edge on the hone, you are good. Crooked spines, chipped blades etc is another thing altogether. My blades get a touchup every 5 shaves, when the touchup stops working, I put that blade aside and when I get a couple that need honing, I reset the bevel on 1200 dmt, and up from there. Enjoy! Its not as hard as you think. Do not ever raise the spine while honing and no pressure means no pressure, it only gouges the edge with deep scratches. Make sure your hones are flat. Lap them often. When you get that down, then we can talk about raising slurry on the hones with dmt plate.

Last edited:
Thanks for tips Buca. I've been using the marker trick to look for uneven contact and warps and such. I'll try your suggestion as well. The edge on yesterday's GD is very sharp, but I'm still waiting for a double canvas strop and pastes to be delivered. Other than that I don't want to make any more honing investments right now, but in the not too distant future, I may swap out my stones for a DMT and an all lapping film setup. I really like working with lapping film now.

Yeahhhh, got my CJB razor in the post today. All the from one of B&B'b minions in Korea!
Big thanks to casus4844!

Its a bit smaller than what I expected but feels pretty good in the hand. Just got to wait a few more days for Feather blades on the way from two sources, then I can shave with the little bugger.

pics:

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 63
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 63
Awesome - glad you got your CJB. After trying 5x different folding str8 razors, I now have settled on the Japanese/Kamisori versions exclusively since for me the ergonomics are perfect.

Yeahhhh, got my CJB razor in the post today. All the from one of B&B'b minions in Korea!
Big thanks to casus4844!

Its a bit smaller than what I expected but feels pretty good in the hand. Just got to wait a few more days for Feather blades on the way from two sources, then I can shave with the little bugger.

pics:
Thats looks real nice. I will one of these days have to try one. Good luck with it.

Big thanks to casus4844!

pics:

I haven't been able to find one for sale, do you have a source for them?

i personally would suggest to stick with a real straight razor and ditch the shavette, i though the same as you when i first got my straight: it felt gritty, rough and blunt on my face but i stropped it about 200 times on newspaper, then a bit on felt then finished it on leather and it really polished up the edge and new every shave feels great.

i would suggest focus on only 1 good straight razor and learn to properly maintain the edge and take you time with everything.... if you rush ANYTHING when learning the ways of a proper straight you will pay the price :scared:

in my opinion a shavette is NOT a real straight razor or a stepping stone towards using one as the feel of disposable blades is completely different altogether

i have used shavettes in the past and for me even the technique you use with them on your face is way different to using a straight

Top Bottom