What's new

Looking for a different brush

Good morning B&Ber's I need some advice in choosing my next brush. I prefer bowl lathering and use a mix of creams, croaps, and soaps. My first brush was a VDH Deluxe boar brush, followed soon by a VDH luxury badger brush. I've spent most of my 3 months of wet shaving using the badger brush but it's started shedding quite a bit with each shave and I think it's end is near. I've been mostly happy with its performance, sans the floppiness it has which doesn't seem to do well with harder soaps. It doesn't load very well and it takes a long time to whip up a batch of lather. With creams it performs much better.

I've recently purchased a Simpsons Classic 2 in best badger and I am not sure if this brush will be sticking around. I've had it for a few days and have had a couple shaves with it so it may be too soon to judge it's performance until its broken in but so far I've been a bit disappointed in its bowl lathering abilities. It works well for face lathering but that's just not my thing. It seems to be too dense for bowl lathering and hogs a lot of the lather in its dense knot. The handle is also smaller than I'd prefer for bowl lathering. Let's just say I purchased this brush on a whim without doing much research. The description said it was great for both face and bowl, soap and cream. It may become better after breaking in, but I'd still like something else to add to the rotation.

So without further pause here are the qualities I'm looking for in a new brush:

Longer handle for bowl/scuttle lathering
Badger hair ( I do not like scritchy so boar is out of consideration.)
Floppy enough to lather creams, but firm enough to also handle soaps. ( Dr. Harris, Col. Conk, Mama Bears are the main ones I am using right now.)
Priced under $75

If you need more information ask and I'll update the thread as it goes. I'm not opposed to trying another Simpson brush, but there are also many other brands out there that get the nod so anything goes.

Thanks,
Spencer

Ive been eyeing that brush after reading a few reviews about it. The handle seems long enough im just not sure of the density, loft, and shape of the brush. I always see posts about brush specs but never understand how it relates to my wants and needs.

Thanks for the advice so far I'll keep reading and coming up with ideas.:thumbup:

It's a good choice with your criteria and price point. You can bowl lather or face lather with it and it will lather soaps or creams. I enjoyed mine.

Under $75 is going to make it difficult to find a killer bowl lathreing brush.

The Kent BK8 and Da Vinci 290 are about the best bowl lathering brushes you can find but both are double your top price.

Simpsons Colonel will keep you within your budget but you may not be satisfied with how it performs if you are looking for something better than the classic you now have.

I've always been one to recommend that you spend as much as necessary to get something that will satisfy you needs.

In the long run this is cheaper than buying 10 items that are OK but not what you wanted in the first place and still have to buy the one you should have gotten originally.

OK so enough of that. How about some pics to tempt you :001_smile

BK8 on the left - 290 on the right

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Under $75 is going to make it difficult to find a killer bowl lathreing brush.

The Kent BK8 and Da Vinci 290 are about the best bowl lathering brushes you can find but both are double your top price.

Simpsons Colonel will keep you within your budget but you may not be satisfied with how it performs if you are looking for something better than the classic you now have.

I've always been one to recommend that you spend as much as necessary to get something that will satisfy you needs.

In the long run this is cheaper than buying 10 items that are OK but not what you wanted in the first place and still have to buy the one you should have gotten originally.

+1

I just purchased a vintage blades brand brush to try. A few people seem to be happy for the price so ill try it out and see how i like it. If I'm still unhappy I'll look at the kent BK8 in a couple weeks after the bills are paid . I came across it a few times while researching a new brush before buying the CL2, and people seemed very satisfied. Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

as Turtle said, $75 is a difficult price point for all you are asking, at least from what I've seen out there.

if you are ok with USED, check or post a WTB on the BST, once you meet the minimum requirements. you will likely be able to get a $120 brush or there about, for your price point.

I recently saw a SR3824 for about $80, which is an excellent brush and would have served all your needs....but unless you have a DeLorean Time Machine, I guess there is no point it bringing that up :biggrin1:

brushes really get into the Luxury catagory around $125 or so.

Just a bit of an update, I've used the Vintage Blades brand 22mm brush almost exclusively for the past week and must say I am very pleased with the performance of this brush. It quickly whips lather in a bowl and feels equally as nice when face lathering. I used a few soaps,croaps and creams and am pleasantly surprised by how nice this brush is for the price paid. If anyone is on the fence about trying this brush due to the low price, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom