What's new

The Dip

All my book says about the coating is to hold it under a soft yellow flame (like that of a candle) or plunge into hot water, then cool in cold water. So that should be quick and easy.

Another thing make sure after use, or sometimes in the middle of use, you clean your nibs and dry dry dry, so they don't begin to rust

Beginner Guide To Dip Pens​

So let me start by saying I am no expert on the subject, This threads purpose was to bring information to us all including myself so that we could learn from each other, But i can get you started on the use of a dip pen.

Your going to need some gear to get going, I began here at PAPERINKARTS.COM. you can check out a lot of different sites but this one i am familiar with and they have a large selection of great gear to get you going, and the prices are very good as well. You will need a nib holder, there are a lot of options but most of them are all cosmetic, the only real difference to look out for are a straight nib hold like this
$18SPE9451_Large.jpg
Speedball plastic holder which will cost you from a $1, to just over
$100769_x.jpg
or this speedball oblique holder which will be roughly the same price. The Oblique holder will make your nib change angles and is suited for copperplate and spencerian scripts to achieve a natural 55 degree angle when writing with the right hand, If all your looking to do is write letters in your own cursive handwriting or using palmers method the straight nib holder is probably for you, as it will also lend itself to gothic style block lettering if you choose to get into that

there are other more expensive holders there, as said above they are cosmetic and material upgrades to the plastic ones, i would start with the plastic ones as you take time to figure out what it is you like/dislike about the holders so you know how to spend your money down the road

Nibs are your next purchase, and there are many many options, much like DE shaving your best bet to start is a sampler, nibs will cost anywhere from $.40 cents to a couple of dollars, so picking up a variety of different kinds will help you find out what works best for you, without setting yourself back much. Have a look at Brause, Hunt, Mitchells and Nikko, as they should diversify your selections
You will see with Mitchells nibs something called a reservoir, its a piece that snaps onto the bottom side of the nib, and give more surface area for ink to grab and increase the amount of ink you pick up on each dip, thus lowering the amount of times you will have to dip, they also can work on other nibs brands as well so pick a couple of these up as well.

Paper is a major factor here, while you can right on almost any paper you choose you will notice some nibs are very sharp, and can grab lower end paper, as well as paper such a G.Lalo, can catch sometimes on its textured ribs. Smooth paper like you would find with Clairefontaine, or Rhodia will be your easiest bet for smooth writing i would maybe head over to gouletpens.com and check out the basic life unplugged or the eco earth pads at staples.

There are more ink options with a dip pen then that of their FP counterparts, as ontop of working "okay" with FP ink, they can also use much thicker acrylics as well as flaked types that can really have your words pop off of the page. Ink because it doesnt have to work well in any type of filling systems tend to run cheaper then FP bottles so you can get yourself a good selection, have a look at paperinkarts clearance area and you can catch a really good deal there

So you have got your gear in hand, You have a holder, a nib, some ink, and paper. Well you not quite ready to go yet, one thing to think about before going any further is your work space. When writing with a dip pen you will have an open bottle of ink, and they can make an awful mess the likes of which you never want to deal with. If your going to sit at an area where you may catch flying kids toys, or curious animals you will have to grow a third eye to avoid any problems. Make sure you are somewhere where you can lay out your space so you dont have to reach to dip. as well as risk having a drop of ink fall where you dont want it.

once you have that set we are almost ready to write. Nibs are coated to prevent corrosion during shipping, you will need a soft yellow flame, like that of a candle, or a hot pot of water to remove that coating, the coating is slick and will not allow for proper surface tension to hold the ink onto the nib and have a proper flow. Just hit the nib with the flame, for a few seconds, then cool in water. well it seems your almost ready to go. The Dip itself i only have two things to offer on the matter, dunking the whole thing in then trying to write, will usually have you leave a big puddle behind, if your going to dunk, then wipre the underside on the rim of the ink to remove excess ink away untill you understand how pressure speed and angles will effect your flow. If using a thick ink its also good to note that it can coat your nib, and when that happens you can also lose proper flow, with thicker inks warm water and a old toothbrush can clean off your nib mighty quick and get you going again, a damp paper towel at hand can work as well.

so once you have written the greatest work of art since well EVER MAN, be sure to wash your nib completely clean then dry it completely dry so it will last you a good long time. other then that you know pretty much all I know on the matter and should be good to go with some dip pen fun

Beginner Guide To Dip Pens​

So let me start by saying I am no expert on the subject, This threads purpose was to bring information to us all including myself so that we could learn from each other, But i can get you started on the use of a dip pen.

Your going to need some gear to get going, I began here at PAPERINKARTS.COM. you can check out a lot of different sites but this one i am familiar with and they have a large selection of great gear to get you going, and the prices are very good as well. You will need a nib holder, there are a lot of options but most of them are all cosmetic, the only real difference to look out for are a straight nib hold like this
View attachment 316362
Speedball plastic holder which will cost you from a $1, to just over
View attachment 316363
or this speedball oblique holder which will be roughly the same price. The Oblique holder will make your nib change angles and is suited for copperplate and spencerian scripts to achieve a natural 55 degree angle when writing with the right hand, If all your looking to do is write letters in your own cursive handwriting or using palmers method the straight nib holder is probably for you, as it will also lend itself to gothic style block lettering if you choose to get into that

there are other more expensive holders there, as said above they are cosmetic and material upgrades to the plastic ones, i would start with the plastic ones as you take time to figure out what it is you like/dislike about the holders so you know how to spend your money down the road

Nibs are your next purchase, and there are many many options, much like DE shaving your best bet to start is a sampler, nibs will cost anywhere from $.40 cents to a couple of dollars, so picking up a variety of different kinds will help you find out what works best for you, without setting yourself back much. Have a look at Brause, Hunt, Mitchells and Nikko, as they should diversify your selections
You will see with Mitchells nibs something called a reservoir, its a piece that snaps onto the bottom side of the nib, and give more surface area for ink to grab and increase the amount of ink you pick up on each dip, thus lowering the amount of times you will have to dip, they also can work on other nibs brands as well so pick a couple of these up as well.

Paper is a major factor here, while you can right on almost any paper you choose you will notice some nibs are very sharp, and can grab lower end paper, as well as paper such a G.Lalo, can catch sometimes on its textured ribs. Smooth paper like you would find with Clairefontaine, or Rhodia will be your easiest bet for smooth writing i would maybe head over to gouletpens.com and check out the basic life unplugged or the eco earth pads at staples.

There are more ink options with a dip pen then that of their FP counterparts, as ontop of working "okay" with FP ink, they can also use much thicker acrylics as well as flaked types that can really have your words pop off of the page. Ink because it doesnt have to work well in any type of filling systems tend to run cheaper then FP bottles so you can get yourself a good selection, have a look at paperinkarts clearance area and you can catch a really good deal there

So you have got your gear in hand, You have a holder, a nib, some ink, and paper. Well you not quite ready to go yet, one thing to think about before going any further is your work space. When writing with a dip pen you will have an open bottle of ink, and they can make an awful mess the likes of which you never want to deal with. If your going to sit at an area where you may catch flying kids toys, or curious animals you will have to grow a third eye to avoid any problems. Make sure you are somewhere where you can lay out your space so you dont have to reach to dip. as well as risk having a drop of ink fall where you dont want it.

once you have that set we are almost ready to write. Nibs are coated to prevent corrosion during shipping, you will need a soft yellow flame, like that of a candle, or a hot pot of water to remove that coating, the coating is slick and will not allow for proper surface tension to hold the ink onto the nib and have a proper flow. Just hit the nib with the flame, for a few seconds, then cool in water. well it seems your almost ready to go. The Dip itself i only have two things to offer on the matter, dunking the whole thing in then trying to write, will usually have you leave a big puddle behind, if your going to dunk, then wipre the underside on the rim of the ink to remove excess ink away untill you understand how pressure speed and angles will effect your flow. If using a thick ink its also good to note that it can coat your nib, and when that happens you can also lose proper flow, with thicker inks warm water and a old toothbrush can clean off your nib mighty quick and get you going again, a damp paper towel at hand can work as well.

so once you have written the greatest work of art since well EVER MAN, be sure to wash your nib completely clean then dry it completely dry so it will last you a good long time. other then that you know pretty much all I know on the matter and should be good to go with some dip pen fun

Ugh... I get paid this week... so, of course, I hate you.

Im going to have to order some things too. A dip pen is what I had in mind when I found the "Nib" section of these forums. Needless to say I got a bit side tracked :)

Uh oh. I was just told there is an art supply store that has a huge variety of Inks and Dip Pens... only a few blocks from where I work. Ya'll better pray for me.

$Iron_Gall.jpg
Picked up some Iron Gall ink and a few nibs from John Neil.
Blackest ink I have ever used. Very smooth flowing.

Does anyone use another vessel for their ink when using an oblique holder? The Higgins bottle isn't the best for an oblique holder... I bought some squatter wide mouthed jars to try. Here is to hoping.

Top Bottom