What's new

Want a Simpsons Key Hole for my first "nice brush. Talk me out of it.

So, as the title suggests, I'd like a Simpsons Key Hole KH2 or KH3. Currently I'm rocking an Escali in Pure Badger and while it's nice, it's a bit too much scritch for my relatively sensitive skin. I mainly bowl lather but am interested in face lathering in the future. My main soap is Proraso White and my main cream is AoS Unscented. I hope this information is sufficient enough.

I say "Talk me out of it" in the description because honestly, it's tough to see how a KH3 could be "worth" twice as much as the Simpsons Colonel X2L. Granted, I find the handle of the KH much sexier and the KH3's knot is wider (I believe) but so many people recommend the Colonel and it's so much cheaper, I wonder if I'm making a classic newbie mistake of buying more than I need.

The community here at B&B has been so generous to me, from Nick Danger for getting me started with my beginner set all the way to turtle helping me out with my latest RAD desire, the Red Tip SS. That said, I thought I'd ask around for some opinions before I make the plunge.

Should the community convince me to get the Colonel, I will happily post my review. However, I've noticed a dearth of information on the Key Hole series on B&B (and many other sites) so should the community convince me that it's a good daily brush, I will contribute a full review, complete with pictures so I can finally add something to help others, since so many here have already helped me.

Thanks for your time everyone! I look forward to reading each and every post!

Simple answer is it is not worth twice as much. The colonel is a great value. The Key Hole is just denser, so the extra hair is the extra cost. The Colonel has better flow through with the less hair, so I think it is a better brush.

If you like the key hole shape, RV makes a nice Keyhole handle, and he can throw in a lovely shavemac knot in it

View attachment 309651

If you really like the KH that much, go for it. Otherwise, you'd never know if it was for you or not.

If you ask me, I should try to talk you out of it - Commodores look better than Colonel and KH to me, and I find the Commodore handle more comfortable than the Colonel.

If I succeed in putting doubts in your head, I can continue that for the price, I think Savile Row and Rooney style 1 or 3 are better brushes for the money.

Did I mention that you shouldn't let anyone talk you out of buying a KH, if you like it that much?

Key Hole Simpsons brushes are amazing. Feel nice in the hand and have plenty of everything else you know you want :001_smile

proxy.php

@Absolute Mustard: I actually have considered contacting Rudy Vey. He lives about an hour away from me, his work seems to be top notch, and I REALLY loved that Moonjava Chubby he made for a member a few weeks back. The Psychadelic Beast I believe it was called. His Key Hole design looks perfect, it might be the first I've seen of his. From looking at the forum it seems like he's out of moonjava and is a little strapped for knots at the moment, but I'll get ahold of him and see if we can arrange something. How does a Shavemac knot compare to a Simpsons?

@edgerunner: While I appreciate your opinion of course, I think I like the Colonel a wee bit better than the Commodore, although I have considered both. What I hadn't considered were the Rooneys and the Savile Row. I'll have to look into 'em, thanks so much!

@Greg1911: I figured as much, this is a thread of enablers! By the way, does your name reference my favorite handgun, the 1911?

@turtle: Haha that beautiful brush you pictured is sure making it hard to resist. Part of me wants a Simpsons JUST because it's a Simpsons. That said, RV's do look quite lovely and I could have them made out of any material I'd like (that he stocks, of course).

I'm quite undecided still!

@Absolute Mustard: I actually have considered contacting Rudy Vey. He lives about an hour away from me, his work seems to be top notch, and I REALLY loved that Moonjava Chubby he made for a member a few weeks back. The Psychadelic Beast I believe it was called. His Key Hole design looks perfect, it might be the first I've seen of his. From looking at the forum it seems like he's out of moonjava and is a little strapped for knots at the moment, but I'll get ahold of him and see if we can arrange something. How does a Shavemac knot compare to a Simpsons?
I think Shavemac are the finest knots you can buy, and Rudy can attest to that

@turtle: Is there a "way" I haven't considered when looking for other brand Simpsons made brushes? I'm new to this by the way :blush:

By the way, just wanted to let you know your Red Tip has a great new home: $photo-1.JPG

Just tilt your head to the left and you can almost picture my shave den :lol:

I think Shavemac are the finest knots you can buy, and Rudy can attest to that

Thanks! Is there a Shavemac knot that's comparable to the Simpsons Key Hole and more of a bulb shape? And with Shavemac should I still be looking at Best badger or should I get something like Silvertip?

@turtle: Whoaaa, not gonna lie, that brush looks slick. I was hoping to spend no more than $100-120. Maybe if one comes up in the BST, although if it is the Holy Grail, I doubt most would relish parting with it.

I don't need "the one" right now anyway, I'm fairly sure I'm going to like having a variety of brushes eventually!

@turtle: Whoaaa, not gonna lie, that brush looks slick. I was hoping to spend no more than $100-120. Maybe if one comes up in the BST, although if it is the Holy Grail, I doubt most would relish parting with it.

I don't need "the one" right now anyway, I'm fairly sure I'm going to like having a variety of brushes eventually!

These were being blown out on Amazon not too long ago for around $80 or so. I looked again and they are back up to MSRP once again.

Keep checking Amazon. I've added you to my friends list and if I see them at uber discounts again I will PM you a URL

The Da Vinci brushes don't come on BST very often (maybe only 3 of them in the past year). Everyone I have talked into going with Da Vinci has become a "lifer" with that brush.

they Keyhole is one of the least attractive looking brush handles out there.
But it is by far the most comfortable to use. I have the B&B 2012 LE, and I love the handle. It's perfectly ergonomical.
Most people seem to agree too, since I think i've only seen 3 on the BST.

I'm going to put it on my Amazon wishlist. Thanks turtle! it looks like a real doozy.

As far as right now goes, I might have to contact Rudy. Like I said, he's only an hour away.

If I DO decide to get the new Simpsons Key Hole, I was going to order from here: http://thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html

That way I can pick out the exact one I'd want. I feel like I'm more undecided than when I started, maybe I should just buy them all :laugh:

they Keyhole is one of the least attractive looking brush handles out there.
But it is by far the most comfortable to use. I have the B&B 2012 LE, and I love the handle. It's perfectly ergonomical.
Most people seem to agree too, since I think i've only seen 3 on the BST.

Love the Pearl Jam Avatar! Awww but I LIKE the design, if it's a joy to hold too then I think I'm really getting the best of both worlds.

I'm assuming the B&B 2012 LE is sold out, yes?

I'm going to put it on my Amazon wishlist. Thanks turtle! it looks like a real doozy.

As far as right now goes, I might have to contact Rudy. Like I said, he's only an hour away.

If I DO decide to get the new Simpsons Key Hole, I was going to order from here: http://thesuperiorshave.com/Simpsons_Brushes.html

That way I can pick out the exact one I'd want. I feel like I'm more undecided than when I started, maybe I should just buy them all :laugh:

Not that you need anymore brushes to try to decide between, what about the Semogue SE Owners Club. The handle is great and the knot is wonderful. Otherwise just go with the KH.

Not that you need anymore brushes to try to decide between, what about the Semogue SE Owners Club. The handle is great and the knot is wonderful. Otherwise just go with the KH.

Is that a boar brush? I already have a B&B Essentials in Blue, which I haven't used yet. Still working on my lathering technique and I was worried if I was switching between badger and boar I'd hinder my progress.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
We don't do much talking people out of things 'round here. :sneaky2:

Enabling is a service we offer with pride. :yesnod:

Yes, the real solution is to buy both, or better, all three.

I incline with Edgerunner re the relative value of a Rooney Style 1 or 3. But that's personal. Buying more (of whatever) is just the right thing to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom