What's new

Super Adjustable with no date code?

Please see the photos below. There is no date code on this Super Adjustable. This is post '76 with the plastic base plate and old style pre-1982 knurling. Can anyone give me some information on this? Did it escape the factory without a code?

$PICT0091.jpg$PICT0092.jpg$PICT0093.jpg

I haven seen one with a plastic base but my metal ones all have the date code underneath

The ones with the plastic base have the date code stamped inside the razor under the patent statement. The ones with the metal base have the date code on the bottom exterior like you described.

Oh, interesting! I was wondering if this was a possibility.
During the transition period, some razors came out of the factory with two date codes. They kept using up metal adjustment plates (with the codes on them) with the new heads (also with the codes on them). This would appear to be the reverse of that. Pairing up one of the new plastic adjustment plates with the older, uncoded heads.

Oh, interesting! I was wondering if this was a possibility.
During the transition period, some razors came out of the factory with two date codes. They kept using up metal adjustment plates (with the codes on them) with the new heads (also with the codes on them). This would appear to be the reverse of that. Pairing up one of the new plastic adjustment plates with the older, uncoded heads.

What's particularly strange about this though is that the guard plate changed, from the diamond stamped version to the rectangular stamped version like this one, when they changed made the switch to the plastic adjustment plate. If I'm remembering correctly, the ones that we've seen double stamped have all had the old metal adjustment plates put together with the newer rectangular-stamped guard plates. That case makes sense since each of the parts would have followed its own "normal" process and been stamped separately and then assembled.

This case, however, would mean that the newer guard plate that B-One has here either skipped its "normal" process and didn't get stamped (in which case it could have been made pretty much anywhere in the range and is a manufacturing error) or that they intended it to go with a stamped metal adjustment plate all along like you're suggesting, AMB. If it were the latter that would essentially mean that the change to the rectangular stamped guard plate predated the plastic adjustment plate, and I would think we could find other Super Adjustables that had the rectangular guard plate (without a date code) and metal adjustment plate (coded or not).

This is a little more modern than my real area of expertise, though. Do we have any examples like that? :confused1

What's particularly strange about this though is that the guard plate changed, from the diamond stamped version to the rectangular stamped version like this one, when they changed made the switch to the plastic adjustment plate. If I'm remembering correctly, the ones that we've seen double stamped have all had the old metal adjustment plates put together with the newer rectangular-stamped guard plates. That case makes sense since each of the parts would have followed its own "normal" process and been stamped separately and then assembled.

This case, however, would mean that the newer guard plate that B-One has here either skipped its "normal" process and didn't get stamped (in which case it could have been made pretty much anywhere in the range and is a manufacturing error) or that they intended it to go with a stamped metal adjustment plate all along like you're suggesting, AMB. If it were the latter that would essentially mean that the change to the rectangular stamped guard plate predated the plastic adjustment plate, and I would think we could find other Super Adjustables that had the rectangular guard plate (without a date code) and metal adjustment plate (coded or not).

This is a little more modern than my real area of expertise, though. Do we have any examples like that? :confused1

Thanks for the insight. This is fascinating and the most fascinating part is the knowledge of those of you that have contributed so far. Would any more photos help?

This is a cosmetically beautiful razor that came with a decent case. Unfortunately, the adjustment knob is stuck on the dot between 5 and 7. There appears to be some gunk up under the knob and I am hoping that is what is binding it up. I promise to be patient and soak this in soapy water. I worry about using scrubbing bubbles on a painted razor. I imagine that it will free up at some point, but I just received it today.

Old model = NDC plate / DC adjuster
New model = DC plate / NDC plastic adjuster

Plates get delivered to wrong lines during transition by new guy.

Double date code razor = DC plate / DC adjuster
No date code razor = NDC plate / NDC plastic adjuster

New parts delivery guy gets chewed out at lunch time.....

Thanks for the insight. This is fascinating and the most fascinating part is the knowledge of those of you that have contributed so far. Would any more photos help?

It's pretty clear from the ones you've posted already that there isn't a date code where one ought to be. It probably wouldn't help us figure anything out any further, but a shot or two of the underside of the head wouldn't hurt... just for funsies.

This is a cosmetically beautiful razor that came with a decent case. Unfortunately, the adjustment knob is stuck on the dot between 5 and 7. There appears to be some gunk up under the knob and I am hoping that is what is binding it up. I promise to be patient and soak this in soapy water. I worry about using scrubbing bubbles on a painted razor. I imagine that it will free up at some point, but I just received it today.

Definitely go slow with it and don't force it. You wouldn't want to put too much strain on the plastic adjustment plate if that's what's bound up. Just a good bit of hot-water soaking and working the knob back and forth as much as you're able to gently should get it free eventually.

Porter, I see what you're saying, and yes it does seem reasonable to assume that this could be from any year after the switch to plastic.
I went through all of my super adjustables, past and present, and have found none with a metal bottom and square tray. But then again, I don't think I've ever had one from a year on either side of the transition. Finding one with a metal bottom would nail it down I think, but other than that, countless examples with plastic bottoms won't bring us any closer to a year unless we find one NOS.

Old model = NDC plate / DC adjuster
New model = DC plate / NDC plastic adjuster

Plates get delivered to wrong lines during transition by new guy.

Double date code razor = DC plate / DC adjuster
No date code razor = NDC plate / NDC plastic adjuster

That's what I'm questioning above, actually. There's a difference between the old and new guard plates beyond just the presence of a date code. The Old/New breakdown is really more like:

Old model = Diamond plate (NDC) / Metal adjuster (DC)
New model = Rectangular plate (DC) / Plastic adjuster (NDC)

The double-stamp makes sense in your scenario above because the two pieces were both made the way they were supposed to be, and thus both date stamped. But in the second instance, if it were a case of mixing old parts with new I would either expect the guard plate to be the older diamond-stamped one, not the rectangular like he's got.

If all we're saying is that B-One's got a later-model Super Adjustable whose guard plate missed getting a date code stamped, then there's really no reason it would have to have been from anywhere near the transition. They could have screwed that up at any point in the run of that particular model.

If all we're saying is that B-One's got a later-model Super Adjustable whose guard plate missed getting a date code stamped, then there's really no reason it would have to have been from anywhere near the transition. They could have screwed that up at any point in the run of that particular model.

This seems to be the most likely scenario of all suggested. Since it is the rectangular guard plate, it should have a date code.

edited to add: and the mechanism seems to be loosening up in the warm water.

This razor oddity probably won't make me rich enough to retire, but maybe I can get a nice meal out of it. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I just saw a W2 (1976) with a Metal Base and Rectangular base plate without a date code. I am guessing that mine is a 1977 using left over Rectangular base plates w/o date codes from 1976.

Top Bottom