What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

So, I've been at this DE shaving for just over a month now. I've been thinking I need a very mild razor, even though I have a very tough beard. My skin is extremely sensitive. I ordered 2 to see which I like best: a Schick Krona and a 1966 Gillette Flare Tip, which it turned out to be be my birth year/quarter razor as well. I got the Schick yesterday, and the Gillette is at the post office, so I'll get it today.

I shaved with the Schick...WOW!! If my carts/electrics were a 10 on the irritation scale, my Parker 99R was a 6, my EJ DE89 was a 3, the Schick was a 1!! Not totally without irritation, but that's probably more due to my technique than anything else. It could also be because I used a Feather blade...LOL! Either way, it was, by far, the most comfortable shave I've had to date, and the best as well. It was the first time I could go ATG without hurting terribly. YAY!

I'm a LEMS guy all the way.

I also find the Shick Krona to be an extremely mild acting razor and would be my everyday choice if I didn't have a working Stahly. That, by far, is the mildest shaving razor I've ever owned, even if you don't use the vibration.

Count me in... Favorites include my AS-D2, 48-50 gillette super speed & a British gillette tech with no date code...

Here's two of mine:

1958 D3 Gillette Flare-Tip Superspeed (I have to start using this one more often)

1939-41 Gillette Triangle Slot Fat Handle Tech

I have to say that I do enjoy a razor that is on the mild side, but that can get the job done.....I have enjoyed my Gillette vintage tech's for being mild and smooth shavers. I have also found several other's that fit this bill also....like my Webber PH, ATT Kronos M1 & M2, MS89, Gillette FatBoys adj. just to name a few.

View attachment 425807
$photo-8.jpg

Another fine shave yesterday and today with my pre-war fat handled Tech. I'm repeatedly surprised at how well it shaves in 2 passes - SAS in 1 pass and DFS in 2. The same shave as my Fatboy or Slim on 3, or sometimes even 2. The lather really seems to make the difference.

Here's my Tech which I use with a UFO handle, TRULY great shaves and BBS everytime and not a shred of harshness in the shave.
Mild is not a negative it is simply a characteristic:
$P1000327.jpg

I'm a big fan of mild razors. I have a Super Speed and a Travel Tech and I love the way they both shave. What would you men say is a good option for a modern mild safety razor?

I shave with either my new EJ DE8911 or my Gillette Tech ball end. I assume this qualifies for membership.

Last edited:
My 1952 Tech and Slim K2 have given me DFSs.

Awaiting a birth year Super Speed and a 1958 Super Speed Flair Tip in the mail and I expect similar results.

I shave very early in the morning (415a) before work and enjoy the confidence that I can get a comfortable, irritation free shave in a reasonable amount of time. The vintage Gillettes do that for me.

I still love my EJ89 and Weber PH and they are still in my razor rotation, but really I have to slow it down a bit with them. I use them when I have more time in the morning.

I have a certain affinity towards this group, I shave with my Slim at 1 and can get a DFS or even a BBS with only 2 passes (WTG and XTG) I can even get a BBS 3 pass shave (WTG and two different XTG) with a Derby loaded into my Wieshi.

I use a 23C for anything over 2 days stubble but might try my Slim at 2 or 3 next time. Guess I just have the beard for a nice mild shaver and I couldn't be happier!

For the past couple days I've been testing if I still prefer a mild razor. Short answer, yes. I turned my Fat Boy up to 5 and I ended up with ingowns on my chin again. I don't know what it is about more aggressive razors, but they cause ingrowns for me. I'm perfectly happy with my comfortable shaves keeping my Fat Boy dialed low.

I'm in - After I figured out the Parker head was just *too* aggressive for me (the R41 looks like a spinning fan with attached razor blades to me!) I regularly shave with my MicroTouch one (now *that* is a tame razor) and my EJ 89.

Top Bottom