What's new

Question about straight razor storage.need your thoughts.

B

BJJ

I received an alembic case and the silica gel got some of my attention since my razor gets a lot of rust and other stuff...

sometimes i think about making a woodbox with little spaces for the Straights razor and under the box or in the center put this dehumidefier

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PELICAN-150..._Camera_Cases_Bags&hash=item2ec141e91e&_uhb=1

and i don't wether bamboo is important or not since i got the dehumidifier...

the thing i like about this dehumidifer is that its lifetime...

and still about storage i have some questions...

if I have a 7 straight razor routine that i use monday to sunday do i have to keep them oiled everytime I shave?

the mineral oil prevents 100% rust and others unwanted stuff?

if I have a box with a dehumidefier with razors that i wount used for the period.... how should I keep the straight razors in the box?

please give your thoughts about this and if you have pictures i would really appreciate if you post...

best regards.

mike.

I kept my straights oiled at all times, my wife made me some nice razor pouches for 7 straights, just enough for a week.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice snuff!

Op , I would think if you regularly used the straights like you note, oiling wouldn't be necessary if they are dry when put away.

If the scales are natural, the dessicant might be an issue so keep an eye out on horn, bone, etc..

Legion

Staff member
Want to see something ugly? This is how my collection has been "put up on blocks" for the moment.

It will do the job. There is desiccant in the pickle jar, and none in the lunch box, which has ivory and horn scales in it. The blades all have a light coat of mineral oil. This is long term storage. None of them are in rotation.

proxy.php

Want to see something ugly? This is how my collection has been "put up on blocks" for the moment.

It will do the job. There is desiccant in the pickle jar, and none in the lunch box, which has ivory and horn scales in it. The blades all have a light coat of mineral oil. This is long term storage. None of them are in rotation.

proxy.php

I....am....speechless.

Dessicant is bad for horn scales? I keep my three razors out of the bathroom and in silicone sleeves from TSS. Seems to be working. Hope I don't wreck the horn scales on my fave.

proxy.php

Poor things!! Send them off to me and I'll make sure they're put to use! LOL! :D

For long term storage oil or vaseline is superb. I have a lovely blade I bought for cheap on Ebay, it looked like a wreck with black and brown spots everywhere. I washed the blade and it was polished underneath a layer of grease! I tried shaving before honing but it was not quite shave ready.

I think the previous owner overdid it a bit, but hey, its all good!

My daily use razors are not treated, they are just dried and put away.

Phil

B

BJJ

I kept my straights oiled at all times, my wife made me some nice razor pouches for 7 straights, just enough for a week.

proxy.php

proxy.php

sharpp!!

that woman really loves you brow...

I really liked the blue one...

thanks for the post

Top Bottom