What's new

Valet Auto Strop Razor

Inferno----The feathers can be found at razorbladesandmore or connaught shaving

Thank you for that head's up. I like RazorBladesandMore. I will check them out. (Are they called anything particular that I should look for?

Thank you for the input from all on the Valet. I feel hopeful that I can clean it up and give it a go.

Thank you for that head's up. I like RazorBladesandMore. I will check them out. (Are they called anything particular that I should look for?

Thank you for the input from all on the Valet. I feel hopeful that I can clean it up and give it a go.

Here you go:
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/content/feather-single-edge-blades-5pcs

I have a VC1 just like your's and I really like it. I use the feather's that I linked to and they are wonderful in the VC1.

RB&M is a great vendor and I've had outstanding service with them.

Anyway, here's a typical VC1 set:

$P1000185 1.jpg

This set was often used as a newspaper subscription premium or advertiser, as you can see in the picture. You'll see these little metal cases all over eBay and elsewhere in the wild. You'll separately see the boxed "Free with Model C" strops in other listings. It was nice to get this all together in it original packaging.

The scuffs on the case are actually parts of the enclosed brochure that had managed to stick to the case over years of contact. I'll take it off eventually.

Many thanks for all the help! I just ordered some blades from RB&M. Thanks for that picture of the complete set. I will have to keep my eyes out for something similar. Part of my love for wet shaving is the history and collecting.

These razors clean up remarkably well IMO
Any suggestions on what to use to clean it up? It looks like there is a lot of oxidation on the handle, (this may be just crusted junk.), and some in the head.
Also, is there a help page on inserting and removing blades for these? I'm not really sure and I don't want to force anything and risk breaking it.

Soak it in hot (not boiling) water with some dish soap for a few hours and scrub with a tooth brush to get the gunk off. Then spray it down with scrubbing bubbles and scrub again, then go back to the hot water and let it soak some more. Rinse and repeat.

As far as putting in the blade, just slide it in the side. The old blade will slide out and the new one should go right in. You will be more likely to cut yourself sliding the blade than to break the razor. It shouldn't take much force at all.

As far as putting in the blade, just slide it in the side. The old blade will slide out and the new one should go right in. You will be more likely to cut yourself sliding the blade than to break the razor. It shouldn't take much force at all.[/QUOTE]

+1---Like an idiot,I cut my finger pretty bad the 1st time putting a blade in it.

As far as putting in the blade, just slide it in the side. The old blade will slide out and the new one should go right in. You will be more likely to cut yourself sliding the blade than to break the razor. It shouldn't take much force at all.

+1---Like an idiot,I cut my finger pretty bad the 1st time putting a blade in it.

I learned the hard way too. It's better pull the blade into place rather that trying to push it.

It may take a bit more force/effort to get the rusty blade out of the slot, but after the cleanup, the new blade insertion should be a breeze. Pull rather that push, though...

Last edited:
Here's my set with the strop and instructions. I've googled The Busy Bee and there are umpteen gazillion of them all around the country so I don't know which one this one was for, it's probably out of business anyway.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Instructions on how to remove the blade on the bottom of the case. I believe the instruction booklet was originally attached to the bottom of the case but came off at some point.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
And here are some other examples:

$P1000186.jpg$P1000188.jpg
$P1000190.jpg$P1000189.jpg

I include the last one not because it's an advertiser, but it's a purdy shiny gold metal variant that I haven't seen elsewhere. Too bad about the dents.

These remind us just how many newspapers we used to have around.

Ok, I recently purchased this for $1. Can anyone help me identify which type it is and where I can buy blades for it when it arrives and I try to clean it up?
View attachment 303725View attachment 303726View attachment 303727
Thanks for any help you can give. If it looks to be unusable, please let me know and I will look to get one in better shape. I couldn't pass this up for only $1.

Inferno--Did you clean it up and use it yet?--I have all 4 models of auto-strops and absolutley love the shaves--They rank behind only the streamline and OCMM and my OC Damaskeene in my world of SE's

So, is the "auto stop" a gimmick or does it actually work/help?

I've never bothered to try. I've got several autostrops and a couple of the strops. But the strops are old, thin and have been folded for a long, long time. And blades are relatively inexpensive. I've thought about trying to condition one of my strops and trying it just for giggles but I don't see any reason to "really" use the strop.

The link to the thread below will answer lots for you. VC1 can use de-spined GEM blades. VC2-4 need the feathers. I bought both types from Connaughts to use in GEMs and Valets I recently acquired.

Good Luck
http://shavenook.com/thread-se-razor-review-the-valet-autostrop-vc1-2-3-4

Just a note. My VC1 one works perfectly with a SE Gem blade with the spine left on. Just pop it in making sure the blade edge is under the hooks on the comb, flip the top down and move the tightening bar on the rear until it is secure.

Just a note. My VC1 one works perfectly with a SE Gem blade with the spine left on. Just pop it in making sure the blade edge is under the hooks on the comb, flip the top down and move the tightening bar on the rear until it is secure.

Do you have any pictures of this setup?

Top Bottom