What's new

Valet Auto Strop Razor

Just received one of these by accident, and I'm not sure what to do yet.
So i will start asking questions.
(Pictures Will come Later; Also, No Strop or Blades Came With It)
1. Anyone else use theirs?
2. What blades can be used for it?
I heard that a certain type of Feather Blade can be used for this razor, Can Someone Tell me what they are? (And maybe where they can be found)

Thanks in advance Guys!

I use mine if its a older model you can use despined single edge blades and feathers if its the later model you can use the feather single edge blades in most models the feather blades look like this

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 533
These are GREAT shavers--I am really getting into them recently. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself 1 or 4 or.........

Here are pictures the Seller had of it, (Better picture will come later when I Catalog my collection)
I Don't know what year it is, Any Thoughts?
Later I'll get the patent no.s off it, so maybe you guys can figure out the age.
Thanks for the Info So Far, Its Very Appreciated!
$sellervalet.jpg

$a--1a6ef588-78cc-467f-ad39-469668ad8818.jpg$a--536269d0-c153-4f3a-8c36-3ca747680621.jpg

Here are pictures the Seller had of it, (Better picture will come later when I Catalog my collection)
I Don't know what year it is, Any Thoughts?
Later I'll get the patent no.s off it, so maybe you guys can figure out the age.
Thanks for the Info So Far, Its Very Appreciated!
View attachment 302939

View attachment 302940View attachment 302941

The "Million Dollar" was marketed between 1928 to around 1935. Starting in 1930, they were made by Gillette. There won't be a serial number on it that will narrow it down any further.

The "Million Dollar" was marketed between 1928 to around 1935. Starting in 1930, they were made by Gillette. There won't be a serial number on it that will narrow it down any further.

Thanks for the info. I have a Silver Million Dollar Razor. Is there any markings on it to know that they were made by Gillette? I have looked mine over pretty good and don't see anything that references Gillette, even in the manual that came with it. Can we assume that if there is no Gillette markings, it was made between 1928 and 1930 when Gillette took over production?

BTW, great Razor, wrinkles.

Thanks for the info. I have a Silver Million Dollar Razor. Is there any markings on it to know that they were made by Gillette? I have looked mine over pretty good and don't see anything that references Gillette, even in the manual that came with it. Can we assume that if there is no Gillette markings, it was made between 1928 and 1930 when Gillette took over production?

BTW, great Razor, wrinkles.

The model razor commonly called the "Million Dollar" razor "Million Dollar Model C" or VC2 (the latter courtesy of the Waits Safety Razor Compendium) was included in various Valet sets. As far as I've seen (although my experience is by no means exhaustive), Wrinkles' set most likely predates Gillette.

Here is a set that includes a VC2 with Gillette markings:

$P1000182.jpg

You'll find "Gillette Safety Razor Co." on the bottom of the head:

$P1000183.jpg

I don't know whether Gillette was at any time manufacturing and selling Valets that did not bear "Gillette Safety Razor Co." I would guess there was a transition period. I need to spend less time buying shaving stuff and allot that time to hitting the books. :biggrin1:

A good site to see pictures of the various Auto Strop sets (and other old sets with stropping mechanisms) is here (just type "auto strop" in the search box):

http://stropper.com/home/stropper_index.php?category=

Thanks for the info. My Million Dollar Razor is identical to Wrinkles' set, but in silver, not Gold. I assume it was pre-Gillette as well then. At least I can narrow it down to 1928 to 1930ish.

Ok, I recently purchased this for $1. Can anyone help me identify which type it is and where I can buy blades for it when it arrives and I try to clean it up?
$Valet01.jpg$Valet02.jpg$Valet03.jpg
Thanks for any help you can give. If it looks to be unusable, please let me know and I will look to get one in better shape. I couldn't pass this up for only $1.

Ok, I recently purchased this for $1. Can anyone help me identify which type it is and where I can buy blades for it when it arrives and I try to clean it up?
View attachment 303725View attachment 303726View attachment 303727
Thanks for any help you can give. If it looks to be unusable, please let me know and I will look to get one in better shape. I couldn't pass this up for only $1.

Thats a VC1---It can use any of the 3 blades----original valet blade,feather,or de-spined SE

Last edited:

It's the rust from the remnants of what might have been a blade that makes it look like a horror show of course. The razor looks perfectly fine from what I see of it and it will clean up nicely.

I've never gotten along with the vintage blades, but you should at least try them in addition to the Feather and despined Gem blades.

Top Bottom