What's new

How to: Coolidor

Hey guys I haven't seen anything like this on here so I thought I would post how i made my coolidor. It is a very simple cost effective way to store cigars as either your only humi or for bulk storage for aging. Being a college student on a budget I went as cheap as I could so I would have more money for important things like cigars.

This is the cooler I used as i had it sitting around so it was free.
proxy.php

I Then used non scented silica kitty litter as my humidity control, this runs about $10 for 8-10lbs
proxy.php

I used spanish cedar trays from cheap humidors.com to store the cigars or you can use cigar boxes or plastic trays. The spanish cedar acts as a humidity control as well and gives it that delicious woodsy tobaccoy smells that a humidor is know for the trays run aroun $10 a pop.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Id also suggest a good digital Hygrometer calibrated with a salt test as most analogs just aren't near as accurate. I used a xikar which run around $20. I also used panty hose to hold the kitty litter which you can steal from your SWMBO at the threat of buying a cabinet or walk in humidor. All in all i have around $70 bucks in this with enough kitty litter to set up a wineador when i find one cheap enough. I have somewhere over 120 sticks at my last count before all of the cigarillos in the small boxes.

Im sure I left something out if anone has any questions feel free to ask.
Thanks Matt

Looks like a great setup to me! I am a recent convert and firm believer in coolidors. My setup is very similar, just on a larger scale. Where you saved $$ on beads by going with kitty litter crystals, I chose heartfelt beads. But conversely, where you popped the extra $$ for the cedar trays, I opted for used cedar cigar boxes and just stuck the loose sticks in those. The end result is the same as far as I can tell.

I also have a blaze orange box of those little beauties in mine, saved away for a rainy day. :001_cool:

Last edited:
I went with the trays because Im still new enough to cigars that I don't buy boxes, and all the local B&Ms sell the boxes so I decided that if i was going to spend some money I would set it up exactly how I wanted it. The only downfall to Kitty litter is that it takes to do the same job as the beads, I probably have close to a pound of KL in my small cooler. If I do a wineador I might use beads but I have so much KL i doubt it haha. The only complaint I have about it is that I need more room but when I upgrade I don't have anything dedicated to this cooler.

The Little Monsters are great I've only had the mini mum but defiantly would get some more if they are relesed again.

A wineador would look amazing in a home bar, have in on one side and another will wine/chilled mix on the other! Arg so many awesome ideas I want when I buy a house!

Coolerdoors are the way to go if you are on a budget.

I have a couple of them. Use the 65% heartfelt beads with the spanish cedar sheets form my used up boxes to line the cooler. No trays like yours. I just store my boxes in it.

I went with the trays because Im still new enough to cigars that I don't buy boxes, and all the local B&Ms sell the boxes so I decided that if i was going to spend some money I would set it up exactly how I wanted it. The only downfall to Kitty litter is that it takes to do the same job as the beads, I probably have close to a pound of KL in my small cooler. If I do a wineador I might use beads but I have so much KL i doubt it haha. The only complaint I have about it is that I need more room but when I upgrade I don't have anything dedicated to this cooler.

The Little Monsters are great I've only had the mini mum but defiantly would get some more if they are relesed again.

You don't owe me any explanation, brother, I'd probably do the same with the trays if i couldn't get cheap boxes. For contrast, I have a nylon stocking full of beads about the size of a baseball in mine so it takes up a good bit less room, but obviously cost a bit more as well. The good thing about a cooler is that size upgrades are cheap! Plus, I can stash a lot of sticks in a cooler in the basement without any grief from Mrs. Mountaineer, but when every room in the upstairs seems to contain a humidor, she starts getting a little more, um, irritable, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
I just have a mister bottle filled with distilled water. Give the stocking of beads/litter a few sprays as well as a couple of pieces of my spanish cedar and call it good.

No need to saturate

Blazer has it right i just put some distilled water on a sponge and let my trays soak it up before i ever put cigars in, thats whats called seasoning thee humidor. I then tried putting dry kitty litter in and it took my Rh too low. Then I lightly sprayed them with distilled water until i reached around 65% Rh.

Top Bottom