What's new

The Calligraphy Thread

Awesome idea James! I was going to work on my calligraphy today... and make a meat pie from scratch.... though A Memory of Light got in the way. Tomorrow I will make sure I have something to post! Everyone has put up such awesome stuff already!

That's funny that you took pics of the cube van. I have been noticing different styles of writing more often now as well. I'm not sure what # speedball kit i had picked up but it had a 1.5, 2, 3 and 4 mm nibs. They do have flex to them. It also came with a flexible spencerian and pointed nib. I grabbed an oblique holder but had no luck at all with copperplate. I'm a left handed over writer so I think that is my problem. If Michael's has the Parallel pens, let me know. I have become interested in getting a set now that i have shifted my interests towards italic and blackletter and that I am a bit to impatient to keep re loading the nib with ink. This Gothic variation was shown in the sheet that came with the speedball kit. I tried it out yesterday.

Attachments

• $P1010035.jpg
    $P1010035.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 300
interesting, the reason the oblique is used is to get a 50 degree angle opposite, that right handed just cant reach without twisting the wrist to an unforgiving and uncomfortable angle, you may be able to do copperplate and spencerian without need of it, although if you turn it around the other way and hold it backwards the handle may help you maintain the 45 degree angle for the gothic stuff more comfortably for you

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good idea James. Do you guys think it is easier with bigger nibs? With the stuff I tried last night with the Lamy 1.9 the nib seemed very stiff. Maybe I am just not used to using it like that.
I wouldn't advise trying to flex that nib- it isn't designed for that.

I wouldn't advise trying to flex that nib- it isn't designed for that.

Why, you don't think a 1.9mm stub nib could be used as a flex nib????

So I stopped at Michael's today, and ended up not buying anything. The Sheaffer set that they had had the same basic nib sizes as the Lamy nibs I have. So, I guess I didn't need doubles of the nibs. They did have the dip nibs too, but I skipped them for now.
I practiced more last night with the 1.9. The big thing is watching the angle of the nib I think. I guess I am going to put together a Goulet order....

Dave I ended up grabbing a speedball kit cheap and unused from a garage sale today... go figure, ill play with it and let you know what I think maybe semd it your way to play with for a bit to see what you think....

And angle is everything specially for the foundations of block lettering

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Why, you don't think a 1.9mm stub nib could be used as a flex nib????

So I stopped at Michael's today, and ended up not buying anything. The Sheaffer set that they had had the same basic nib sizes as the Lamy nibs I have. So, I guess I didn't need doubles of the nibs. They did have the dip nibs too, but I skipped them for now.
I practiced more last night with the 1.9. The big thing is watching the angle of the nib I think. I guess I am going to put together a Goulet order....
Flex nibs are made of a softer metal to give it flex. Lamy's nibs are stainless, which is not a flexy metal. You may also stress the feed, as the nib secures on channels in the plastic. I know you can buy more nibs, but I don't think you can get feeds.

Flex nibs are made of a softer metal to give it flex. Lamy's nibs are stainless, which is not a flexy metal. You may also stress the feed, as the nib secures on channels in the plastic. I know you can buy more nibs, but I don't think you can get feeds.

Is that why my nib looks like a pitch fork now? :scared:

PS :001_tt2: I was only joking around.

played around with some dip pens for the first time tonight, man ink control is a whole new thing, was doing okay with the big letter, not the greatest but not bad for first time out, then it fell apart with the little guy and way to much ink, so i just decided to mess around after that
$2013-01-21 21.18.33.jpg
here i played with a fine nib and its flex control a bit, then when washing the nib dropped it down the drain :( i liked that one too
$2013-01-21 21.18.38.jpg
different style nib playing around again
$2013-01-21 21.18.43.jpg

Cool, I find them to be a bit on the wet side and it is easy to screw up when things are going good. I always have a separate sheet to scribble on until the nib isn't so wet but that becomes a nuisance having to do that after dip. I usually load the nib with an eyedropper but even then it usually starts off too wet. I am a bit jealous that the flex nibs are working in your favor and not mine. :thumbup: I also noticed some of you guys frequent the brown leaf as well, I have been lurking over there the last few days now.

Cool, I find them to be a bit on the wet side and it is easy to screw up when things are going good. I always have a separate sheet to scribble on until the nib isn't so wet but that becomes a nuisance having to do that after dip. I usually load the nib with an eyedropper but even then it usually starts off too wet. I am a bit jealous that the flex nibs are working in your favor and not mine. :thumbup: I also noticed some of you guys frequent the brown leaf as well, I have been lurking over there the last few days now.
Open a hello thread over there RR, cigars or pipes your fancy ?

i did read at FPN someone there suggested getting a paint brush and using it to load the nib rather then dip as it will help control your flow a lot more, i havent tried it yet though

I might do that, right now cigars mainly have my interest but I have a little bit of a desire to own a pipe now as well. :lol:
I also seen someone using a paint brush on youtube. I definitely recommend the eyedropper though. I just tried the flex nibs again after seeing yours but it looks horrible.

Looks good James. Did you take the trap off of the sink to try to get your nib back? But they are so lite it may have went straight down...

I ordered the Parallel set this morning from the Goulets... Can't wait to get it and give it a try!

Awesome idea James! I was going to work on my calligraphy today... and make a meat pie from scratch.... though A Memory of Light got in the way. Tomorrow I will make sure I have something to post! Everyone has put up such awesome stuff already!

You a Fantasy kinda guy? Have you read the Kingkiller Chronicles (just the first 2 books. The 3rd is due out later this year)? It's a story in a story etc... and the main story as it's being told, is being written by a scribe. Quite a bit of talk about his pens. :)

That's funny that you took pics of the cube van. I have been noticing different styles of writing more often now as well. I'm not sure what # speedball kit i had picked up but it had a 1.5, 2, 3 and 4 mm nibs. They do have flex to them. It also came with a flexible spencerian and pointed nib. I grabbed an oblique holder but had no luck at all with copperplate. I'm a left handed over writer so I think that is my problem. If Michael's has the Parallel pens, let me know. I have become interested in getting a set now that i have shifted my interests towards italic and blackletter and that I am a bit to impatient to keep re loading the nib with ink. This Gothic variation was shown in the sheet that came with the speedball kit. I tried it out yesterday.
I think Hobby Lobby has them, if there's one near you. None of the Michael's in my area carries them.

The Michael's I went to yesterday did not have the Parallel pens, I ordered the set from the Goulets. The letters you posted look great, where did you find that, or is it just something you did on your own?

Thanks, I will probably order from Goulets as well when they are all back in stock. The pic was me trying out the Blackletter example included in a dip pen kit. I could probably scan it if you wish.

Top Bottom