What's new

Illinois/Chicagoland Shaving Spots

Hey All,

Not looking for a barber shop since those are easy to find. I am looking for any type of Shaving supply stores. It seems that Macy's has overpriced stock of one product. I was told to try Sally's Beauty Supply. Are there any decent shaving stores that will have a wide selection of brushes, razors, bowls, soaps, creams, possibly blades?

I don't mind ordering online but to touch and feel product before you buy is always good. Let me know.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
There is an 'Art of Shaving' in Oakbrook Shopping Center

these are the only stores I know of that offer what you are looking for.

apart from those Target has had the best selection i've seen, they sell VDH luxury soap and brush, as well as Every Man Jack products and Dickson's Witch Hazel, but they don't sell any razors or blades. (besides cartridge stuff) Walgreens/CVS sell VDH brushes. I think CVS sells the luxury brush and Walgreens has the VDH deluxe and both stores offer a DE blade and SE blade. Sally's sells 1-3 different Pinaud aftershaves and some witch hazel (not sure what brand) and I've heard they also sell Personna DE blades in a 5pk. If you are close to a Woodman's they have a nice selection of aftershaves, 1-2 DE blades and Williams mug soap as well as the complete line of Burts Bees. Bath & Body Works sells C.O. Bigelow shave cream, it's really fantastic stuff, and $10 for a big tube. Walmart sells Wilkinson Sword DE blades and VDH deluxe products.

I can't think of any other stores at the moment but as you can tell I've been all over looking for good shave shops and they don't exist that I know of. Merz is the only place. anywhere else you just gotta take a little from here and a little from there.

Go to Merz but make sure it is the Lincoln Square location. Then go to Chicago Brauhause for lunch - you don't know German food until you go there. Very helpful staff and more items per square inch than you have ever seen. You can just stand still in one spot for five minutes looking at shave stuff.

There's also a Truefitt and Hill shop/salon in downtown Chicago (900 North Michigan Ave.) that carries T&H, Czech & Speake, Floris, Castle Forbes, and Pen's.

Thanks guys. This Merz place sounds awesome and looks awesome. I am closer to the Hilton location on Monroe though. Is it just a smaller shop?

I will also take a look at Target since those are everywhere!

I can't speak for other locations but the Schaumburg(just west of Woodfield) Bed Bath & Beyond now has a Harmons Pharmacy in it that carries Creamo shave cream and Wilkinson Sword white package DE blades.

Merz on Monroe is a very nice store. They have lots of DE stock and are very helpful. I believe they have most of the same shaving products as the Lincoln Ave store, but less of the other stuff. The store does not seem quite as cluttered as the Lincoln Avenue store. Their entire product line can be seen on www.smallflower.com and their prices are the same in the store as they are on line. So, if you know what you might be looking for after shopping their web site, you can call up to see if it is in stock on Monroe before you venture over there. If it isn't in stock, they can ship it between stores. That said, they have plenty of razors, soaps, brushes, blades and pre and post shaving product in stock on Monroe.

Another vote for Merz here. That store is the reason I even started DE shaving. I stopped in the Lincoln Square location back in early December just to see what it was. I've been back at least once every week since...sometimes twice a week.

I've shopped at both of the Merz locations when in Chicago on business. The shop that is in the Palmer House hotel is definitely smaller and carries fewer products. The other location is unbelievable and has some items, like Palmolive shave sticks, that haven't made it onto their website yet. Have a great time at Merz, I know you will.

Another vote for Merz here. I've been back at least once every week since...sometimes twice a week.

A helpful addition to be found just inside the front door is a stack of plastic cups. The display is labeled, "For wet shaving males only, take one - free." With cup in hand as us guys view the merchandise Merz has found they need to mop the floor less often.:o16:

Go to Merz but make sure it is the Lincoln Square location. Then go to Chicago Brauhause for lunch - you don't know German food until you go there. Very helpful staff and more items per square inch than you have ever seen. You can just stand still in one spot for five minutes looking at shave stuff.

There used to be a good Thai place under the L too. I'd always stop there after a Merz visit.

The Palmer House location is quite a nice store, the staff inside is cheerful and eager to help. If you have the time or inclination, go inside the hotel (if you haven't already) and get a stiff drink and stare at the ceiling. Also, if you frequent the NIB forum here, you can walk around the corner to 33 South Wabash and visit the Utrecht Art store which has a healthy supply of Rhodia notebooks and pads.

Thanks guys. This Merz place sounds awesome and looks awesome. I am closer to the Hilton location on Monroe though. Is it just a smaller shop?

I will also take a look at Target since those are everywhere!

Top Bottom