What's new

Rocker Blotters

strop

Now half as wise
At one time, blotting paper and rocker blotters were an essential part of the desktop. Even the term "desk blotter" has held over. For you young guys, that's the thick paper, usually held in a leather type frame that covers, or at least used to cover, a lot of desks, even after FP's no longer were in common usage.:laugh: Just as common, though were the rocker blotters, used to blot the wet ink on a paper so it wouldn't smear.​

If you've been around here long, you've probably tried some of the premium "FP friendly"paper that's talked about. One of the characteristics I like is that the ink doesn't completely absorb into the paper, so no feathering. The drawback is that it takes much longer to dry, and you run the risk of smearing the ink. If we're writing a letter or a journal, currently, it's no big deal. We just wait for the ink to dry.

Now I know that we tend to have a stylized version of the past with wetshaving, FP's, classic cocktails and the 3 martini lunch, but in reality, the pens we look for and restore were the Bic pens of the day. People were working and didn't have time to let ink dry. Remember, that stuff we call good paper was the everyday stuff then. If you were a payroll clerk writing paychecks, or an accountant filling out a ledger book, you had to get them done, and waiting for ink to dry wasn't an option. A little Rocker blotter was the answer. You simple rocked the blotting paper over the writing, excess ink was absorbed without smearing, and you moved on.

Now one would think that such a common desk tool would be everywhere, and the antique stores would be swimming in them, but that is not the case. Maybe they just weren't as common as I think they were (I'm old but not that old:laugh:), but I suspect they got thrown away when grandpa's stuff got sorted out. Pens were easy to keep in the box, because they didn't take up much room, but these odd sized and shaped things just didn't s]]have any use. And who knew what blotting paper even was?

I've been looking for rocker blotters far a long time. I saw one 18 months ago in an antique store in Virginia. It wa brass and part of whole desk set, reportedly French. I now regret I didn't get the set, but at the time $450 seemed steep. I was stroll the local haunts some time ago and spotted this.
$Rocky elephant.jpg

This was labeled "glass rocky elephant" and marked $5:thumbup: Methinks they did'nt know what it was! As is often the case, I've since found out, they are usually missing the the little metal clips that hold the paper on. Pendemonium came to the rescue, though, since they sell replacement clips that will fit these. The one on their site is for sale for $75! Now I only have to find all the other differnt shaped pieces. As luck would have it, I was coming back from a visit 3 weeks ago and stopped for a break, and found it's mate, complete with clips and blotting paper! Now I have one for home and one for the office.

$Blotters 2.jpg

I have a pack of paper on it's way here so I can cut pieces to fit my planner and journal, so I can stick it between pages if I have to close them up fast if I need to. I've see modern produced rocker blotters as well.

That's awesome... I love the look of having one but never really liked the wooden ones on goulet. ..

I didn't know they came in the vintage fancy variety

I have something else to add to the want list lol

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I saw a rocker in an antique store recently, blue glass shaped like a sailboat -- didn't seem practical for me though.

I do regularly use a small blotter and have several, mostly about the size of a checkbook and containing old advertising. They are pretty cool when you can find them at a pen show. I've got a Wahl-Eversharp from the 30's somewhere.

I use one in my checkbook for when there are impatient folks standing in line behind me that simply can't wait for my ink to dry when I'm writing a check. Sometimes I have a bit of fun, I happen to get a laugh when an impatient clerk wants the check and I slowly rip it out of the book and wave it around to dry the ink while they try to grab it! :001_tt2:

Here are some freebie modern ones I've picked up at shows.

Yes, I'm old enough to know about the large desk blotters and still write checks, haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, who writes checks at the grocery store? ;) I kid I kid... but when you use a check in the express lane I may get angry!

My grandmother gave me an desk sized blotter after she received her Christmas card from me. Not that is helps with cards and letters that much...

Legion

Staff member
Rocker blotters. Another thing I didn't know I needed until now. Once again, my back account thanks you, B&B. :glare:

strop

Now half as wise
I was going to mention the checkbook, but I wasn't sure most here would know what I was talking about!:lol::001_tt2:

The size you show are great for carrying around. The glass rockers apparently came as a whole series of shapes from what I've been able to find out, but the elephant is the only one I've seen. Of course now I'm going to have to collect all of them!:w00t:

I have a small collection of elephant figurines which includes the exact blotter as yours. I found some pre-cut Visconti paper that fits well. The only thing I had to do to mine was a bit of judicious sanding as the seam in the middle of the rocker surface was a bit high.

I saw one at a flea market last year and can still kick myself for not grabbing it. I try to keep my eye peeled for them when I am out now.

Very nice Elephant Blotters, Mark! How does it effect the look of the ink on the paper, once you go over it with the blotter paper?
Do you lose ink shading, or does it still look like something freshly written?

strop

Now half as wise
I have a small collection of elephant figurines which includes the exact blotter as yours. I found some pre-cut Visconti paper that fits well. The only thing I had to do to mine was a bit of judicious sanding as the seam in the middle of the rocker surface was a bit high.

Both of mine had evidence of sanding/smoothing of the bottom.

Very nice Elephant Blotters, Mark! How does it effect the look of the ink on the paper, once you go over it with the blotter paper?
Do you lose ink shading, or does it still look like something freshly written?

I've only played around with them just a little this past weekend after I got my supply of blotter paper. I was using some pretty basic ink at the time, just to see how they worked. I'll try to play around with some different inks and paper and take some pics, though it may be next weekend before I get a chance.

I have one of the J. Herbin wooden blotters, which works fine, but when I was able to pick up the elephant and dog blotters that you see flanking it for about $10 each, well, I just thought I would.

I actually don't need them very often. If I'm writing quickly in a notebook, then it's sometimes a good idea to blot the last line or two before turning the page, depends on the pen and ink. Most of the time, if I can just let it sit for 10-20 seconds, it will be fine without it. Blotting is a bit more useful with dip pens, but even then, if there's time to let the page sit for a minute, it's usually not needed.

It's nice to have these around, though.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I try to keep my eye peeled for them when I am out now.
Walter:
proxy.php
...even though I don't use a FP (I do have a $1178705_100905223652_mbsw7.jpg75th Anniversary Limited Edition "Mozart" ball point [BP], and a "Starwalker" roller ball [RB], pen [both engraved]), a rocker blotter would be a nice addition to any home and/or work office. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Soulmakers for 100 Years".

I'll also keep my eagle eye
proxy.php
out for one at the next flea market.
proxy.php

proxy.php
“Writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar”. E.B. White

I have a MB Rollerball that a friend gifted me. The bad news is that it has been dropped and the barrell cracked. The discounted color might make it a little harder to find a replacement for. But one can always hope.

Those are cool, really like the dog one. Now another reason to find antique stores around me. I do have an auction I will be going to this weekend, maybe I'll check it out there.

Very cool. I just blot ink by laying a piece of paper towel over my writing, then run my finger across the paper towel. No smearing and it picks up the extra ink. I also cut a paper towel to fit inside my journal, so when I'm done writing, I just close the book on the paper towel. It doesn't look great, but it works. The glass blotters are much nicer, though.

-Andy

Top Bottom