What's new

Super Stop Leak

I posted this in the general shaving area but it was promptly buried. My answer is likely to be nil but wanted to give it one more try over here.

Monsel's solution is an antihemorrhagic or hemostatic agent - aka ferric subsulfate. It is like a 'super styptic'. I searched here and it came up snake eyes but sometimes the search feature doesn't always work for me. Also, not sure where the heck to post this.

I have one acquaintance who has used it by putting a drop on a Q-Tip - says it will heal the crack of dawn.

Has anyone used it?

Monsel's solution is used a lot in OB Gyn after vaginal procedures. It is basically a iron sulfate solution. It starts out as a thinnish brownish liquid, it is left out to oxidize my leaving uncovered and stirring-it turn peanut butter consistency. It will stop bleeding quite effectively but I don't think I would use it on my face, I believe it causes discoloration-not a problem in the cervix but a problem in the face.

I use it all the time after biopsies and LEEPs

Thanks for the comebacks on this. Helps.

Looks like you need a prescription for it:
http://www.drugs.com/pro/monsels-solution.html

"Skin discoloration" sounds a bit off-putting.

Don't need a prescription for it. It is OTC (or, at least OTW) - you can get it through Amazon. Skin discoloration, eh?

It will stop bleeding quite effectively but I don't think I would use it on my face (because of the staining)

Interesting. My friend is Anglo with very pale skin. I wonder how he manages that... I think I know what you are talking about now... maybe... I'll get some and experiment. If it stains a spot, Ill just cover my whole face with it... liquid tan... :lol::lol::lol:

I believe it causes discoloration-not a problem in the cervix but a problem in the face

Yannoe... that is a such a slow pitch across the plate - there has to be a bunch of crude and silly comebacks...

Last edited:
One of my violinmaking students turned me onto hot chile pepper powder for stopping bleeding cuts. It works in the shop but I didn't think until just this moment about putting it on my face. It doesn't really burn.

proxy.php

Got some. The stuff I got was quite thin and had the ferro coloring. I managed to scrape my arm while doing one handed push ups on a saw horse and had a bit of a bleeder. Put a drop on a Q-Tip and pressed it against the flow. No staining. Blood stopped. Might be good for those really awful blonde moments. Put in the medicine cabinet for the day when I shave off a wrinkle. Much more effective than styptic.

Top Bottom