What's new

Classic Shaving.curious.

I have been looking at Classic Shaving brand of shave soaps lately and am curious about them and am very tempted to get a puck for the holiday's in one of their holiday scents they have, I have a couple soaps namely QCS and also a Mama Bears Toasted Coconut and before I forget them also Proraso and a puck of new Williams.

I admit...I have YET to successfully lather my Mama Bears soap, try as I might yes I can get a good amount of foam and so on but I have not gotten a good shave from it...so I think I am having a learning curve that I have not mastered. The Proraso soap, QCS I can lather and get a great shave from...I have not much a clue as to differences.

At any rate am wondering how Classic Shaving soaps are, how difficult are they to lather and shave well with? Are the scents 'there'? Meaning not so light it might as well not be there, I tend to like scents to be present and very noticeable I enjoy it that way. Their prices for a puck are great and I wondered if there any good, and if so how good?

Also tips or links to learn how to properly lather a Mama Bear soap would be appreciated, I love the soap and scent.

I don't know about the regular ones, but I was unable to get a usable lather out of the classic shaving Wool Fat soap. It's the only one I've ever given up on.

I have at least twenty different soaps. I've tried two of the Classic Shave pucks, and they were the worst of any I tried. In fact, the very first soap I tried was from them, and it almost put me off soaps forever. I used creams exclusively for over a year, before finding other soaps that I loved. I use soaps almost exclusively now, for what it's worth. I did go back and try a second puck of their soap a year or two ago. Despite extensive experience with soap, I still found it underwhelming. Soaps that I love include AoS, La Toja, DR Harris, Arko and Tabac.

Mike

The regular Classic Shaving shaving soap is a average passable soap at best. It lathers fine, but the resulting lather is nowhere near top notch. The scents smell rather synthetic, and if I recall correctly are rather strong.

I wouldn't go out of my way to order the Classic Shaving soap, as there are tons of other products on the market that vastly overshadow it.

It has underdone a number of reformulations, so people who used it a couple of years ago, are not using the same product it is today. I last used it about a year ago.

The Classic Shaving Wool Fat shaving soap is despised by everyone. It has 100% negative reviews.

Wow, glad I asked. I thought..."Well thats cheap, maybe it's a shot in the dark good soap." Then I wondered just why there so cheap and asked here before pulling any trigger on them, I was mainly interested in their holiday scents. Well scratch that then lol, oh well fine by me and as you guy's said there are many other finer products out there for good prices. Thought of Tabac a few times as well, but I dunno about the "Archie Bunkers T Shirt stuffed into an old ladies handbag at bingo night at the Methodist church scent rofl I'll give that a wing some time and also heard great things about DR Harris too. Ah! And also...I figured out how to lather Williams finally, took a boar brush and a video on youtube to manage success lol.

Thanks a lot guy's, saved me some money, might not be much but way better than having a dusty hockey puck in my den.:thumbup:

Forget the mb, get the tabac or dr.harris

Fully agree. I have tried Mamma Bear in the past, and was not hugely impressed with it. It's vastly overshadowed by other artisian soaps such as Queen Charlotte, and Mike's Naturals. Tabac is also vastly superior to it.

Tabac seems to initially cost more than Mamma Bears, but it's a triple milled tallow based soap, so it will last far longer than a glycerin melt, and pour will.

My first soap was a CS and it was fair to good, much like Tabac and a better fragrance.
My first cream was CS and I really like it, lather is very good and the fragrance is wonderful.
I have a CS Wool Fat soap that is worthless, but I am cursed with very hard water, so it may work for others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom