What's new

Shavemac v Simpsons

So back to the OP - I've laid out the options with prices:

Chubby 3 Manchurian - $400

Chubby 3 Super 3-band - $360.00

Chubby 3 Best - $220

Shavemac 234 Silvertip - $182

When did all of these quality issues begin to arise? I hadn't heard anything about them. I only recently picked up my first Simpsons (Duke 2 in Best) and I have no issues, but honestly wasn't looking for any. I do think it's strange since they are supposed to be the Caddillac of brushes (or Bentley as someone else said). I am now extremely interested in Shavemacs though, knowing little of them prior to this thread. You really learn new stuff everyday here.

Playing Devils Advocate...

Why not a WhippedDog SilverTip or a VintageBlade Brand 2-band?

Just curious? You could get one of each and still have money left over at the price of a Shavemac or Simpson. IMHO

When somebody asks a 'value for money' brush question, and doesn't mention a budget, I try not to confuse the things, and to compare apples to apples. Anything below $40 is a boar and horse brushes territory and maybe some FS and the new VB badgers. Nothing can beat TGN combos in the $40-50 range. The $50-100 is the Simpsons Best Empire - if you are lucky to get a nice knot. The only other brush in this range which I almost forgot is the SOC Finest 2-band. My picks in $100-130 range are Rooney Silvertip, Shavemac Silvertip, Savile Row, Thater 3-band, Kent. In $130-180, the contenders are M&F, Thater 2-band, Shavemac D01 ( 2- and 3- banders). Above that is the Twilight Zone - large monsters, Simpsons LEs (Luxury Edition, not Limited Edition), fetish customs, rare vintage, etc. The brushes in this high range are not comparable, can't talk about 'better' and 'value' about them - my preference here is the current Simpsons' 2-band.

Great breakdown!

So back to the OP - I've laid out the options with prices:

Chubby 3 Manchurian - $400

Chubby 3 Super 3-band - $360.00

Chubby 3 Best - $220

Shavemac 234 Silvertip - $182

These new Simpson prices really have shifted the equation. Unless you want and demand the highest quality silvertip, that pretty much eliminates the Simpson Super 3 band as that one seems pretty mis priced in the overall competitive landscape. The Manchurian at the end of the day (Although I love mine) is really a niche brush for people who want to experience the unique qualities it has to offer. Between the Chubby Best and Shavemac, i would go with Best if I could guarantee I would get one similar to mine, but Simpsons Best has the potential to vary widely. The Shavemac as I mentioned earlier is a solid product and no slouch either.
It looks like Simpson is positioning itself as more of a luxury brand now, trying to capture that smaller piece of the market that is willing to pay much more for small incremental improvement. Some shavers may not like it, but we operate in a free market and if this is a more profitable strategy then good for Simpson. It is not a reason to trash the brand and claim they produce an inferior product, because the vast majority of people who have tried the alternatives will disagree with you. On the topic of shedding and defective brushes, both Shavemac and Simpson will stand by their product and replace the brush it you are unfortunate to receive a bad brush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom