What's new

Noodler's Year of the Golden Pig . problem

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I bought a bottle of Noodler's Year of the Golden Pig in a recent Goulet order, thinking that a refillable preppy highlighter would be cool. No more worrying about markers drying up ... just keep the eyedroppering going and bingo.

Well ... although I kept the cap on tight and the pen on its side, my original preppy highlighter nib dried up on me ... the ink just wouldn't come through.

Soon enough, I was making an order at Jetpens and got some extra nibs, and popped one in. Worked for a while. Then that nib dried up again ... same thing ... tight cap and pen on its side (so no lack of ink keeping contact with the feed.)

Yesterday, I picked up the pen, and found this: you will see that the marker is about half-full. Looks normal lying on the desk, but held vertical ... :ohmy:

Attachments

• $DSC03133.jpg
    $DSC03133.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 154
  • $DSC03134.jpg
    $DSC03134.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 154
  • $DSC03135.jpg
    $DSC03135.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 151
I have that same pen that i eye dropped with ghost blue for my nephew to play with, and havent had this problem with it,.. Would say its the ink over the pen having the problem i went 2 weeks between uses the last time and the marker tip worked just fine right out of the gate for me

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have several Preppies eyedroppered with other Noodlers ... no highlighters, just regular ink/nib ... and no problem. It certainly appears to be the ink not the pen.

I've had this ink dry out in a Preppy as well. I was glad I only had a sample. I don't know what the secret is to using this ink, but in 2 days time I ruined two felt tips for the Preppy pens, then went back to 'expensive' (use and toss) highlighter pens.

Definitely the ink - I've used other Noodlers highlighter inks in Preppys without issue - and have left the pen sitting tip up for extended periods of time with no ill effects.

In general Noodler's inks and pens seem to be much more idiosyncratic than mainstream products. Just like Nathan himself. Due diligence is required to avoid problems like this. I bought one of his "fountain pen" roller ball pens and the 3 or 4 inks I tried all dried and clogged it up. Caveat emptor.

Do your research and buy from someone with a good return policy.

Top Bottom