What's new

Shoe lasts - how to figure out best for you?

Gentlemen,

I thought I would reach out for some advice. I have a pair of Allen Edmonds (Macneil model) that I've worn maybe twenty times, and am not satisified with how they fit. I thought they were great at the store, but over the past few wearings I've noticed that I can't wait to get them off after a day at the office. I'll probably put them up for sale at some point soon...

Perusing the AE website, I noticed their page on shoe lasts and realized I have no idea which last might suit me best.

One approach to figure this out would obviously be to try on several shoes at a local retailer until I found a model that fits best. Beyond this approach, do any of you have any tips to fitting a good pair of shoes? I realize this a strange question, but I've generally been impressed with the sartorial knowledge amongst members of this site, and thus this post.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Is your displeasure with the size, or the shape of the shoe?

Really, there's no substitute for trying them on in person ... toward the end of the day, as your foot tends to swell during the day and is larger at 5pm than 9am.

I custom fit shoes and boots for athletes and hikers for 5 years at a boutique shop here in town. Additionally, my mother is a physical therapist who is about the most knowledgeable person I know for knesiology. I would need to know more about your foot shape and its mobility to tell you exactly, also I need to know what in particular you don't like about them. To get an idea of your foot structure and shape I would need only two pictures. One of your feet while you are sitting and there is NO WEIGHT on them. I.E. your foot's natural neutral position. To gain an idea of the movement of your foot the second picture you should be standing up, as you normally would. Both pics would need to be sock-footed or barefoot. If I see those and you can tell me what you don't like about your shoes, I can tell you why you don't like them and what you should look for in the future.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Agree, too!
If you buy shoes, never go there on a weekend day or in the morning. Your feet will swell a bit during the day, so shoes should be tried on in the afternoon, after a days of work. Also, wear socks you will normally wear with these shoes. If you have your proper size for the type of shoe, then you can order the proper size. Go to a store that carries the brand you want to buy, and get the correct size for the shoe you want.

Top Bottom