What's new

1st custom brush african blackwood and TGN 24mm finest

My 1st handmade brush out of african blackwood with a tgn 24 finest not glued in yet though. I chose blackwood since it is a nicer wood then ebony, holds up better, and is much rarer then ebony brushes which i seen every other day. Total cost for wood and turning was $35 and im gonna get one out of black and white ebony next followed by a bocote and a lignum vitae

I should add no polishing or buffing has been done this is the woods natural oils right after the sander as 12,000 grit. I may polish it but probably not as i see its natural oils may affect the result. The natural oils in blackwood are another reason i chose it over other woods like cocobolo which is also a common brush wood so not OG enough for me.

I Forgot to mention I didnt make it I payed someone to do it, Hes a woodworker and he likes to do small jobs for spare change he charged $30 for labor and $5 for actual wood since he has lot of african blackwood and had a small piece left over from a finished project he sold it cheap. He said the next time it would be $45 total but he would put a sealer on it if i wanted I chose not to because blackwood is nice all on its own.

Attachments

• $IMG_0560.jpg
    $IMG_0560.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 180
  • $IMG_0561.jpg
    $IMG_0561.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 179
  • $IMG_0562.jpg
    $IMG_0562.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 179
  • $IMG_0563.jpg
    $IMG_0563.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 179
  • $IMG_0564.jpg
    $IMG_0564.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Wow...that is absolutely beautiful! Real unique shape too. Congrats, you've got something really special there. Nice work!!

I would like to ask you all should I make my next one out of black and white ebony, bocote or lignum vitae. The next one will be in 20 mm finest grade a

I think you ought to seal it inside and outside. It's such a beautiful handle, and it would be a shame if it cracked from absorbing water.

Top Bottom