What's new

B&B Brush Review/Comparo - Silvertip VS Finest Silvertip....

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to receiving these. Thanks (John & Joel) for all the effort, and information on the project and the products.

Wow-

Decisions--decisions.

I had planned on one and now there are two. From the movie The Freshman: Carmine said there would be one boy and here are two.

In any case, beautifully done--I await the year end bonus to see about both. I want both but may allow myself just one as I also want a stand and a razor. My current high level brush is acryllic black so I probably will go with the horn.

I am more a fan of lesser but denser lather and for whatever reason the pictures seem to suggest the standard may be the way for me. Gotta go with my heart, if I am impressed with the end of the year bonus, I will have both--otherwise, I suspect the faux horn standard with razor will be my choice.

Great work again!

Excellent review and photos Joel. Many thanks to you, John and EJ for this project. Choosing between the brushes will be a difficult decision for me. :confused:

Being a car guy, the Rolls & Aston comparison makes sense to me. If someone were to put the two cars in front of me and say "Pick one," I'd pick the Aston in a heartbeat. Also, since this will probably be my only badger brush for a while (still new to wetshaving and don't want to get that financially involved right now), I'll want something that is better suited for daily use.

The horn look doesn't really float my boat, but I really love the ebony look. So, by process of elimination I think that the standard silvertip on ebony will be my choice.

Will we be able to order the stand like is pictured in the announcement thread?

Please Pardon my ignorance about this

But what explains the difference between color of the hair at the tips for the SILVERTIP and FINEST SILVERTIP

It seems from the pictures that the Silvertip has much whiter tips than Finest Silvertip.

How does this affect overall feel / performance?

Please Pardon my ignorance about this

But what explains the difference between color of the hair at the tips for the SILVERTIP and FINEST SILVERTIP

It seems from the pictures that the Silvertip has much whiter tips than Finest Silvertip.

How does this affect overall feel / performance?

The finest silvertip actually has much whiter tips than the standard silvertip. You see - from the first set of pictures (from the side view) the standard might appear "whiter" - but look closely.... the actual COLOR isn't whiter, but it appears to be so, because it is bleached - hence it is perfectly uniform. The Finest silvertip is TOTALLY bleach/dye/color free (apparently the ONLY "silvertip" brush being sold with ZERO modification to the color) so it is not as uniformly colored as the standard silvertip - but the color on the finest is MUCH whiter than the standard as can be seen in the "overhead" shots like the ones below.

Finest on the left.
full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The Finest silvertip is TOTALLY bleach/dye/color free (apparently the ONLY "silvertip" brush being sold with ZERO modification to the color) so it is not as uniformly colored as the standard silvertip - but the color on the finest is MUCH whiter than the standard as can be seen in the "overhead" shots like the ones below.

Joel - I stand corrected Finest is Whiter. The Standard is more uniform. Thanks for your explanation. This certainly helps me in the decision process..

Wow-

Decisions--decisions.

I had planned on one and now there are two. From the movie The Freshman: Carmine said there would be one boy and here are two.

In any case, beautifully done--I await the year end bonus to see about both. I want both but may allow myself just one as I also want a stand and a razor. My current high level brush is acryllic black so I probably will go with the horn.

I am more a fan of lesser but denser lather and for whatever reason the pictures seem to suggest the standard may be the way for me. Gotta go with my heart, if I am impressed with the end of the year bonus, I will have both--otherwise, I suspect the faux horn standard with razor will be my choice.

Great work again!

Was wondering if one of you guys could vouch for the silvertip producing lesser but denser lather. If so thats deffinitely the one for me.

ALL the details we have are in this thread... so please be patient with your questions and wait for an update. We are 100% certain on the razor pricing, but expect it to be about $60 with the custom stampings.

I haven't been following the thread that carefully. Can you tell us a little about the razor?

I too am salivating about the brush.

Can someone confirm something for me? If I like a brush that allows me to "control" my lather better....I should go for the standard and not the finest right? Maybe I'm a little wierd, but I like to keep my lather as close to where I am actually going to shave as possible. Seems like the finest may spread out more and cover more ground. Am I correct in my thinking?

Hi Joel,

To judge from your 'palm swipe' photos, the Finest sivertip seems to have produced a 'wetter' lather with larger bubbles than the Standard silvertip. This would make sense if the bristles in the Finest brush hold more water than the Standard silvertip.

Is this how it works out in practice?

A wetter lather is usually less dense, 'frothier', less durable and possibly harder to distribute on the face than a stiffer lather. But it may do a better job in wetting/softening the beard.

Any further impressions from comparative use of the two brushes?

I have been searching for a brush like this for 10 years...Where can I get one, how much is it, and when is it available?

Your site is AWESOME, by the way. I'm glad to see that there are some quality shaving people here in the States, the English have the Aston, but we have this brush...! God save the Queen, but God Bless America!

Cheers!:biggrin:

Top Bottom