What's new

traveling ink well?

My pen habit has been drifting away from cartridges, and into bottle fillers. The problem: I travel a lot.
In the past I've carried a few backup cartridges for when the converter runs dry, but that's not an option for my new favorite.

Any suggestions for a traveling ink well? I need something that will hold a few fills, deep enough to dip into, and won't leak in my luggage.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
You could fill few ink sample bottles and put them in a zip lock bag.
Goulet sells empty bottles.

Go to REI or a similar store and buy a small Nalgene bottle. There are a number of different small sizes. I've been using one for a while and it works great. Here's what else I do. I get a ball of "stick tack," the putty that you use to put up posters, and put a wad of that on the cap of the bottle and then use baggies to double bag it (suck the air out of each bag when you seal it).

Why the stick tack? When I refill my pen, I put it on the bottom of the bottle and use it to stick it to the desktop in my hotel. That keeps the light bottle from spilling when I refill my pen.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Bottles of ink manage to travel from the Goulets to me without leaking, so maybe just using the bottle with the cap on tight? Store it in a zip-locked bag or some such thing just in case, and you are good to go.

Bottles of ink manage to travel from the Goulets to me without leaking, so maybe just using the bottle with the cap on tight? Store it in a zip-locked bag or some such thing just in case, and you are good to go.

I think a bottle of ink packed by the Goulets would make it to the moon and back without a problem!

Go to REI or a similar store and buy a small Nalgene bottle. There are a number of different small sizes. I've been using one for a while and it works great. Here's what else I do. I get a ball of "stick tack," the putty that you use to put up posters, and put a wad of that on the cap of the bottle and then use baggies to double bag it (suck the air out of each bag when you seal it).

Why the stick tack? When I refill my pen, I put it on the bottom of the bottle and use it to stick it to the desktop in my hotel. That keeps the light bottle from spilling when I refill my pen.

This is a stroke of genius. Those little Nalgene bottles are great.

-Andy

You could fill few ink sample bottles and put them in a zip lock bag.
Goulet sells empty bottles.

I have been doing this using regular old noodlers bottles for about 2 years without incident. Even the 100ml bottles can go right on the plane.

I travel all the time and include bottles of ink in my checked luggage. I close it tightly, put it in the box it came in, wrap that in a paper towel witha rubber band around it and put the whole shebang in a ziplock bag. So far not a drop has even gotten out into the box. Good luck! (Of course, now I've jinxed myself . . . )

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have been doing this using regular old noodlers bottles for about 2 years without incident. Even the 100ml bottles can go right on the plane.

... and if you get one of those 1-ounce bottles, even better.

there are some historical traveling Ink wells from the time before ball point pens and cartridges.

If you can find one.

I normally take the inkwell that they sell in the store, wrap it carefully in some cloth and place that in a small lock lock or other plastic box.

I have also on one occasion taken a small paint can, filled it with granules placed the ink well in the middle and sealed it up before packing it up and sending it off.

Top Bottom