What's new

Opinions wanted - which AE shoe for me

I want some brown/reddish brown shoes for work - mostly with slacks and a shirt, but occasionally with a blazer or even a suit. These two appeal to me, as I have always liked a long wing:

McNeil
$allenedmonds_shoes_macneil_brown_walnut.jpg
Regent Street

$allenedmonds_shoes_regent-street_chili.jpg
The McNeil is dressier, and if all else were equal, I would prefer the sportier Regent St. for semi-casual wear. But there is a pair of McNeils at the Shoebank in my size for $260, instead of the $340 that is the usual price for both models. Is the McNeil too dressy for my use? Would the McNeil look out of place with khakis or wool trousers without a jacket and tie? I like the redder color of the Regent St a little more (the McNeil is really not that red in person), but I like the all pebble grain of the McNeil more than the smooth finish on the wings of the the Regent St. Alas, buying both is not an option.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I think that either works with trousers and a jacket, but I would find the pebble grain a little too casual for a suit. Those Regent St are sharp

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Not seeing them in person, I suspect they'd both work well for your intended uses. Maybe that $80 savings is the answer?

Wait for the next AE sale I think around Thanksgiving. The shoes will be closer to $200 maybe even less from the Shoe Bank. Sorry I can't help picking between these two as I don't know much about them. Except I will say that both are good for casual wear because they are not balmorals.

Sounds like the Regent's may be your overall favorite, so that should probably decide it. If these were mainly for more causal wear, meaning a shirt without a tie then I would lean towards the Regent. If most days dress included a tie, then the McNeil would probably get the nod. (Take my fashion opinion with a grain of salt.)

I love my walnut Strands, a bal semi brogue. In any event, I polish my AE walnuts with cordovan cream and polish, as I think they are a little too tan, and I like a redder shoe also

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
McNeil, I love the look of the grain leather. Have them in burgundy, brown and black. The burgundy ones were already once re-crafted and came back like new.

McNeil. I have in burgundy Cordovan Leather (fabulous!) and in walnut (your pic). I wear with suits, shirt and tie, vests with slacks, jeans, etc. it is easier to dress these down than to dress up the pebbled leather.

That said - the Regent St is a nice look. I happen to prefer a more classic look than a "dressed down traditional" look.

My other favorite go to shoe for dress down is the McTavish in Black. It has a bronze contrast stitch and chili edge to the sole. Nice - and I receive compliments all the time when wearing with jeans.

Top Bottom