What's new

tackling first restore, Rubberset #4

Update.
I was able to get the 26mm knot into the first handle, the loft is a tad high to my liking and I discovered that 24mm is probably the most I need.
The knot is held firmly in place on its own, probably not a good thing.
I will try to widen that hole a bit so I can set it a little lower.

With the 24mm fan at hand and another brush waiting to restored I charged at it last night. Boiling it did not help, but it did soften the bristles so it was much easier to cut. The a love session with a dremel and now that I know what I am doing and that sanding paper should be wet, I was able to finish the other one much quicker. Also, it did not have the heavy corrosion the first one had so it looks much nicer.

The 26mm looks like a great knot.
24mm fan on the left, 26mm bulb on the right.
proxy.php

proxy.php

the 24mm is as low as the brush allows, and I think it might be a bit too low....
on the next trip to home depot I am going to get a caliper, more dremel bits and some silicone adhesive.
Suggestions? Comments?

Very intrigued to hear how you feel about the 24mm vs the 26mm, and would love to see how it looks post-bloom.

I think the loft on your 24mm is going to be close to mine, as I set it just above the lowest possible loft. It ended up being a smidge above 49mm. I love it ... it has great backbone, but still splays nicely and has good flow-through. Most days I am in love with the loft I lucked into, and there are occasional days when I tell myself I should have just sunk it in all the way, but I have yet to feel as if I should have set it higher. I guess what I'm saying is, I think you will like the "low" loft. I actually don't consider it to be low at all, as I use a 2:1 loft:knot size ratio as my "baseline" (this is based on absolutely nothing other than personal trial and error).

Top Bottom