What's new

Sayings/words/phrases that get on your nerves (irritate you)

Moot point bothers me because it means no longer worthy of discussion, but moot is an old term for a town meeting where things are discussed

Sangwich doesn't bother me at all, it's kind of cute

Actually, from phrases.org:

Some may disagree with the above meaning and argue that it means 'a point open to debate', rather than 'a point not worth debating'. That former meaning was certainly the correct one when the term was first coined, but that's going back a while.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Actually, from phrases.org:

Some may disagree with the above meaning and argue that it means 'a point open to debate', rather than 'a point not worth debating'. That former meaning was certainly the correct one when the term was first coined, but that's going back a while.
If Tolkein could use it correctly, as in Entmoot, that's good enough for me

When people refer to their significant other as "The Bae" (honestly have we come so low in education and romance that people are now shortening babe to bae?)

Oddly enough, I just read an article on that one. There is a theory that it is not a shortening of Babe, but instead is the acronym BAE for Before All Else. Regardless, I agree with your sentiment on that one. It sounds dumb.

http://time.com/3026192/this-is-what-bae-means/

The one phrase that drives me nuts is "back in the day"

I hate it. What "day"? Which "day"? Why that "day" as opposed to the "day" before or the "day" after? And why say use a term coined to represent a 24-hour period (at maximum) when you are referring to an event or condition which existed over a period of weeks/months/years/(or even) millenia? It makes no sense, and has no connotations of any specificity. In fact, it offers no additional specificity beyond the word "past".

"Remember back in the day when we used to stay in on snow days from school and play video games?"
"Hockey players back in the day didn't even wear helmets."
"...when dinosaurs walked the earth back in the day"

These are all real statements I've heard in the last six months. People use that stupid phrase and it makes me want to hit them...Hard..

I always get ticked off when someone is trying to win an argument and they start of with "Studies have shown ... "

Well, I always want to press them for details. Which studies? Where can I read this study for myself? Who conducted it? What hypothesis did they start with? How large was the control group? Did they repeat the experiment several times to prove consistency?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
people who call the town of Wiconisco as Wisconisco. And Worlmeysburg as Wormslyburg

Top Bottom