What's new

Which LORD-blades are the same and how do the different brands compare?

I think we need a comprehensive thread on all the Lord-blades where we once and for all determine the differences and similarities between them. I've just finished a blind test where I tried a number of different Lord-blades and rated them. I had my wife randomly choose blades and load them into my razor (a Tech-clone) without me looking. Then I used each blade for three shaves and wrote down my opinions on it before the brand was revealed. I tested more blades than just the Lord-blades, but my experiences with those won't be mentioned here.

Here is a list of the blades I tested. The are listed from mildest to sharpest and if I couldn't notice any difference between them I assume that they are the same and I've but a "=" between them. Since I've been doing this for several weeks and each blade brand was only tested once my memories of the blades might be a bit cloudy, so please forgive any mistakes.

ASCO Red = Big Ben Blue

(They feel like Shark SS and Crown during the first shave, but deteriorates quickly and are only good for 1 or 2 shaves. Shaves with a lot of friction, but it's almost impossible to get cut as long as the blade is fresh).

Shark Super Stainless = Crown
(They feel like ASCO Red and Big Ben Blue during the first shave, but lasts for over 3 shaves. I'm not 100% sure I'm correct in that they are the same).

Lord Super Stainless Blue/White (Super)
(The best blade according to me).

Lord Super Stainless Green (Classic)

(A bit sharper than the Blue/White one and gives me slightly more weepers. Shave 2 and 3 were better than shave 1).

Shark Super Chrome = Lord Super Chrome White
(Sharp, but still not too sharp).

Lord Platinum Class White
(Too sharp for me. The only Lord blade I can't use).

I hope someone can add to my list the blades I haven't tried yet. Those I know of are:

Lord Super Stainless Blue (Extra)
Lord Super Chrome Sky Blue
Big Ben Violet
ASCO Orange
ASCO Red/Blue
Rainbow
Silver Star
Racer
Cool
Captain

Lord Super Stainless Blue/White has so far been the blade I liked the best. I'm hoping to find out which blades are close in performance so I can try them too and hopefully find a blade I like even more.

Last edited:
That is an interesting list and I often wonder myself how many really different blades Lord puts out. You do have some different observations than I have here and there, especially regarding sharpness, but seeing the same sort of differences with other blades and different users that is part of the game I guess.

For one thing; my BigBens held out for 4 shaves but are not very sharp though totally different from the Shark SS (the only Lord blade that simply doesn't do it for me). I also like the blue/white Lord SS a lot but for me they are definitely sharper than the green/classic SS; the greens are smoother though and last longer. The Platinum Class and the Super Chromes are pretty close to me regarding sharpness and how they behave; certainly enjoyable but missing the nice feedback that the blue/white SS blades give me.

I did use some Racers and like them as well but it has been too long since I used them so it is hard to rank them in this list. They seemed sharper than the BigBens and certainly the Shark SS, probably sharper than the Classics as well.

One problem to determine a complete and fixed list is that there are also differences over the years, not much but noticable. I have blue/white SS blades from at least 4 periodes in time (2-15 years old) which are different in sharpness as well as smoothness but the funny thing is that they are still so much alike.

The Captain doesn't fit into a which is which list; they are carbon steel blades with a different geometry and stand apart from the other stainless blades. They have become my #1 or #2 blade; I am not sure yet which blade takes pole position in my stack.

Ahaha, THIS question you posted in the topic is probably one of the biggest mysteries of our time, along with the Amelia Earhart and Jimmy Hoffa issues.

Then perhaps the blades could be divided into different tiers that at least gives a hint of how they behave. I would suggest something like this, from mildest to sharpest:

1(mild):
ASCO Red
Big Ben Blue

Shark Super Stainless
Crown

2(medium):
Lord Super Stainless Blue/White (Super)
Lord Super Stainless Green (Classic)

3(sharp):
Shark Super Chrome
Lord Super Chrome White

Lord Platinum Class

From the description of you and others I think the Racers would fit into the medium category. Perhaps the Shark SS should be moved there too, since a lot of people refer to them as sharp?

I've tried the following Lord brands
Crown
Rainbow
Racer
Lord Super
Lord Super Chrome
Lord Platinum class
shark SS
Shark SC
Asco Orange labels

I have found them very dependant on what razor they are in.

In the R41 I much prefer the Racer and Crown blades, in the EJ the Lord super are all I need, cheap, smooth and I get 3 good BBS shaves before ditching the blade.

I've just spent a week with a Racer balde (3 shaves) in my new Fatip and it confirmed that for me Racers are my favourite as they suit all 3 razors.

The Lord Super, where I love it in the EJ, is very rough and uncomfortable in the R41 albeit I get a close shave I found it wasn't worth the uncomfortable feel while I was shaving - this is especially true with the Shark SC in the R41 as well.

Overall it's Racer for me due to having the most consistent, comfortable and close shaves.

I've found Rainbow and Crown very similar and more mild than the Racer but there's no doubt the Shark SC and Lord Platinum are longer lasting and sharper. I tend to go for the Crown and Rainbow when I need a easy comfortable shave.

I find Asco Orange very similar to the Racers but noticed you can't buy these fromConnaught at the moment.

If I was to buy a bulk order of these blades I would get Racer for the R41/Fatip and Lord Super for the EJ.

I have also got Lord Cool, Big Ben, Silver Star and Lord Extra to try in as yet unopened packs.

apart from the Racer and Asco blades I don't get on with Lords in the R41 but enjoy them in my other 2 razors.

Just tried the Lord Super Chrome today on my 37C and it was sharp and smooth at the same time - very nice blade.

I rate Lord Super Stainless 'Super' and Asco Blue/Red about the same, they're currently my top rated blades as I work my way through the sampler pack.

Out of the ones I've tried, the Racers leave the other varieties in the dust, and the ASCOs rate a not-too-distant 2nd. I think the Sharks in both varieties are pretty good, as well.

Top Bottom