What's new

First attempt with a slant. It's AMAZING!

I've been using the same DE razor for several months now; an Edwin Jagger DE89BA11 Barley. It's a nice razor, and I love the chrome. But I hadn't tried any other DEs, yet. I've been curious about the Merkur slants, so I ordered one. I picked up a "blemished" Merkur 37G, the same as the 37C, but with gold plating, at ShavePlace.com (look in the seconds and closeouts section) at a good price. There's nothing visibly wrong with the razor, that I can find. Though it doesn't have any stamping or numbering under the razor head, it does say Merkur and have their logo on the handle. This morning was my very first attempt using this slant razor. I popped in a new Feather blade, lathered up, and off I went. (Be careful with blade alignment, as you load and tighten the razor. I noticed it had some wiggle room, so just be sure the blade is loaded straight.)

The first swipe just blew me away. Absolutely. Positively. BLEW me away! It's super-smooth! My DE89 never felt this good. I did my first three passes, and they were all very smooth. That slicing action that the slanted head brings really is nice! I did need to pay a bit of attention to the angle at which I held the razor, but it seemed to be a bit more forgiving than my DE89, amazingly. Of course, there were a couple of little nicks, as I learned I needed to be a little careful going ATG. I also found that I needed lighter pressure, compared with my DE89, especially ATG. But, overall, I'd say it was, by far, the nicest shave I've had with a DE. Not so much in terms of BBS or not, since I can usually achieve BBS with my DE89. But in terms of how smooth the blade glides over my face, how nice the razor feels as it shaves, forgiveness, etc.

Some say the slants are more aggressive than most DE razors. I don't know that I'd agree with that term. I'd say they're more efficient. I didn't feel like the razor was more harsh on my skin, or that I had to be that much more careful with it, compared to my DE89. In fact, it seemed easier than the DE89. I found that, because it slices the hairs more easily, I could actually use the lighter pressure that everyone keeps saying we should use with our razors when shaving. I felt that with my EJ that I needed to use a little bit more pressure to get it to cut the hair well, and that it would sometimes result in nicks and cuts that could have been avoided. Even the Feather blades required the extra pressure. But the slant just breezes right through.

So, forget the DE89. *sigh* One shave in, and I'm now in love with my slant! :001_wub:

Right on! Funny thing, my 37C was also a major reason why I've all but dropped the EJ DE89L from my rotation.

Chicago, I found that the slant seemed to do a better, faster job on my neck, compared to my DE89. And it seems to irritate less. The EJ, using more of that chopping motion, rather than the slicing motion of the slant, caused more irritation, or caused it more easily. I did get a little cut around my lip area without even feeling it, so I'll have to pay a little more attention as I shave those areas. But, it's amazing that it just makes the shave so much smoother.

By the way, I suppose I can forgive you for being from Chicago. Us cheeseheads usually have a grudge against you folks. But I suppose the slant camaraderie can help me let that fault slide. :wink2:

glad it worked so well for you!! my 39C is my goto DE when I use them, what blades are you using?

I prefer Feathers, Personna med/labs and Polisilver SIs myself. and I agree EFFICIENT is a much better term IMO than aggressive.

I'm using Feathers in mine. They're all I've been using lately, so I sold all of my other blades. I actually have no other blades to try, besides the single Merkur blade that came with it.

Last edited:
Chicago, I found that the slant seemed to do a better, faster job on my neck, compared to my DE89. And it seems to irritate less. The EJ, using more of that chopping motion, rather than the slicing motion of the slant, caused more irritation, or caused it more easily. I did get a little cut around my lip area without even feeling it, so I'll have to pay a little more attention as I shave those areas. But, it's amazing that it just makes the shave so much smoother.

By the way, I suppose I can forgive you for being from Chicago. Us cheeseheads usually have a grudge against you folks. But I suppose the slant camaraderie can help me let that fault slide. :wink2:
Ha! I've got nothing but love...have a ton of friends up in Milwaukee, and join them every year for an annual guys' weekend, usually some mix of golfing & drinking a couple hours north of Green Bay (although this year was an exception, we did it in Mishicot). And I make a few pilgrimages up to the giant Woodman's in Kenosha each year to stock up on hard-to-find groceries and enough various New Glarus beers to last me until the next trip :001_smile

The 37C got me around the lips the first time I used it as well, because I was used to going E-W/W-E along the lips with the DE89, and failed to account for the 37C's more-exposed blade on the side with the larger gap. But yeah, I love how the slant seems to almost lift up my neck hairs and attack them from a different angle...I barely have to buff the usual trouble spots.

I'm almost pissed that I've made a commitment with myself to give the brutal Mühle R41 another try tomorrow, because now I totally want to go treat myself to a nice DFS with my 37C!

Glad it works so well for you! I too love my 39C and these days it seems like it's all I want to use. Seems to suit my skin best out of all the other razors I have used. Feathers are also my favorite blades for the slant. Though the slant seems a lot more forgiving about blade choice than other razors I have found.

Last edited:
I'm using Feathers in mine. They're all I've been using lately, so I sold all of my other blades. I actually have no other blades to try, besides the single Merkur blade that came with it.

shoot me your addy in a PM and I'll send you some personnas and polisilvers to try

hard to pick a favorite among the 3 for me, and i'm 99% using straights so I can spare a few :)

I have the 37c on my list of razors to pick up asap. I'm hoping xmas I'll find one in my stocking. lol

I thought about Christmas, too. I just couldn't resist. If you can, you're stronger than I am. :001_smile

shoot me your addy in a PM and I'll send you some personnas and polisilvers to try

hard to pick a favorite among the 3 for me, and i'm 99% using straights so I can spare a few :)

You, sir, are very generous! I appreciate that. I'd love to try both of those. I've thought about it, but the personna labs have to be bought in such a large quantity that I just didn't bother. Thanks! I'll shoot you a PM. :clap:

Ha! I've got nothing but love...have a ton of friends up in Milwaukee, and join them every year for an annual guys' weekend, usually some mix of golfing & drinking a couple hours north of Green Bay (although this year was an exception, we did it in Mishicot). And I make a few pilgrimages up to the giant Woodman's in Kenosha each year to stock up on hard-to-find groceries and enough various New Glarus beers to last me until the next trip :001_smile

The 37C got me around the lips the first time I used it as well, because I was used to going E-W/W-E along the lips with the DE89, and failed to account for the 37C's more-exposed blade on the side with the larger gap. But yeah, I love how the slant seems to almost lift up my neck hairs and attack them from a different angle...I barely have to buff the usual trouble spots.

I'm almost pissed that I've made a commitment with myself to give the brutal Mühle R41 another try tomorrow, because now I totally want to go treat myself to a nice DFS with my 37C!

New Glarus beers are pretty good, and very drinkable. Good choice. But there are a good number of local brews from Milwaukee and the Madison area that are great, too. Lakeside, Capital Brewery, Tyranena, Ale Asylum, and O'so have some great stuff out there. Maybe next time you're up here, grab a six-pack or two of one of those to try. Whatever sounds tasty. $not-tagged-smiley-13459.gif

Personally, I love Capital's seasonal Blonde Doppelbock, and their Autumnal Fire (doppelbock variant). O'so has their Night Train Porter. Tyranena had a great Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, I believe. Lots of tasty beer up in WI!

As for shaving, I've never tried the Muhle R41. Sounds dangerous, to me. Okay, not really. But I didn't want to go from the relatively mild DE89 to the R41 without hitting something in between. I think the slant is just what I was looking for, right now. You like the R41?

Don't take this the wrong way but how can it be a more forgiving razor while you have to be more careful with it plus end up with multiple nicks.
Not saying it isn't a great razor, just wandering what your definition of forgiving is.

I found I didn't have to be quite as perfect about the razor angle as I did with my EJ DE89. If I didn't have the angle just right, the DE89 either didn't cut smoothly, or it caused irritation. It's not supposed to be aggressive, but I still had issues like that. The 37G didn't bother me nearly as much, and I didn't have to have the angle perfect to get a smooth pass out of it. Hopefully that clarifies what I meant.

New Glarus beers are pretty good, and very drinkable. Good choice. But there are a good number of local brews from Milwaukee and the Madison area that are great, too. Lakeside, Capital Brewery, Tyranena, Ale Asylum, and O'so have some great stuff out there. Maybe next time you're up here, grab a six-pack or two of one of those to try. Whatever sounds tasty.
Funny you should mention that, I have some of Lakefront Brewery's Fixed Gear red ale and Riverwest Steinbeer lager, and Milwaukee Brewing Co's Booyah saison ale and Polish Moon milk stout in the beer fridge right now. Had some of Capital Brewery's Maibock, but we polished those off already. I got my initial supply from a buddy that lives in Shorewood (his neighbor owns Lakefront Brewery), but lately both Lakefront & MKE beers have been available pretty much everywhere in Chicago...much to my relief, because those ice-cold Booyah's really hit the spot during summer grilling season :thumbup:

As for shaving, I've never tried the Muhle R41. Sounds dangerous, to me. Okay, not really. But I didn't want to go from the relatively mild DE89 to the R41 without hitting something in between. I think the slant is just what I was looking for, right now. You like the R41?
I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the R41 at all after the first shave with it...I thought it was brutal and unforgiving, and frankly, if I'm going to shave with something that requires perfection of technique and tons of practice, I'd rather take up straight-razor shaving than struggle with the R41. I'm going to try it one more time, and if my opinion doesn't change, it'll be appearing on BST as soon as I hit 50 posts.

Last edited:
Haven't tried the Booyah, yet. Gotta find some to try! I haven't found the Polish Moon Milk Stout here (Madison). I'll have to look for it. Is it tasty?

Funny you mention straights. I've actually been trying them, and found it not terribly difficult to pick up, at least for WTG passes. I'm working at improving XTG passes, and then it's on to ATG. I've done a little ATG already, but you really need to watch it. And you need a sharper blade to make sure it slices cleanly and easily. Otherwise, your blade can catch and cause nicks and cuts pretty easily. Mine needs sharpening before I can really take on ATG. But it's fun. I'd say try it, if you're interested.

the slant i
s just what I was looking for, right now. You like the R41?I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the R41 at all after the first shave with it...I thought it was brutal and unforgiving, and frankly, if I'm going to shave with something that requires perfection of technique and tons of practice, I'd rather take up straight-razor shaving than struggle with the R41. I'm going to try it one more time, and if my opinion doesn't change, it'll be appearing on BST as soon as I hit 50 posts.
Last edited by Chicago; Today at 04:14 PM.​
[/QUOTE

That was my opinion of thr R 41, I would use it, get cut up scraped ect, put it away wait a few months and try again with similar results. A few weeks ago I pulled it out and no problems, nice nick free, no irritation shaves. I used it all weekend ( a long 5 day trip) with no problems. I had honestly gotten to the point I was ready to take a hammer to it, but now like it.

I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the R41 at all after the first shave with it...I thought it was brutal and unforgiving, and frankly, if I'm going to shave with something that requires perfection of technique and tons of practice, I'd rather take up straight-razor shaving than struggle with the R41. I'm going to try it one more time, and if my opinion doesn't change, it'll be appearing on BST as soon as I hit 50 posts.

*starts watching his post count and the BS like a hawk...* hehehe

Stupid questions:

1) Can't you just hold a normal DE at a slight angle?

2) Does that 3 or 4 degree difference REALLY make a difference beyond the placebo effect? I could see if it were maybe 15 or 20.

Top Bottom