What's new

What knot for my vintage Simpson 10

I have a wonderful Simpson Model 10. Reads '10, Best Badger, Simpson' on front. 'Marshall Field & Company, The store for men' on back. Thanks to another member (NexlevMM) here for it :biggrin1:.

(The others in the background are recent non-Simpson acquisitions.)

Unfortunately, it is a little naked at the moment as you can see -

I'll be sending this one to Simpson for a re-knot but the question is what type of knot? It is a 26mm diameter hole I believe.

I've had Simpsons in best before and love my MC and Chubby 1. I face lather with soaps and creams and it has been suggested elsewhere that I try to get Manchurian if available.

What do others think? Any suggestions?

I know I will decide for myself and this is merely an opportunity for shameless sharing of pics but feel free to chime in.

Why not keep it to the original specs and put a best knot in there? All of my Simpsons are in best so I can't really speak on any of the other grades . . .

Whatever you decide it's going to be an awesome brush and I hope to see pictures of it once its complete. :thumbup1:

Why not keep it to the original specs and put a best knot in there? All of my Simpsons are in best so I can't really speak on any of the other grades . . .

Whatever you decide it's going to be an awesome brush and I hope to see pictures of it once its complete. :thumbup1:

That was my first thought but then it was suggested that the best of today is not necessarily the same as the best of the production times. If it is not authentic then there is some scope for options and this one might 'deserve' something special.

Pics will, of course, follow.

I like the idea of keeping it true to the original with Best. If not, my choice would be Manchurian and then 3-band Super.

I've posted these pics elsewhere but just noticed not in my own thread, and I know how much we all like pics....

I ended up going true to label - pure in the pure and best in the No. 10

Pure looks ok but Best badger looks like 3 band super badger how about performans Mark?

I don't know about performance yet from the 10 as my son is giving me that for Christmas. The other in pure is great, firm without too much scritch, makes a great lather!

Top Bottom