What's new

Syngents Straight Shave Journal

So I finally got one of my straights into shave ready condition tonight at a meetup with some locals, also left behind an out of shape sheffy to someone who could rescale and restore the razor for me,....

Tonight was all about awkward,.. forgot the feeling of a straight and the various reaches and use of both hands,...

My cheek on the strong side had a great shave, the opposite side isnt bad at all, the underside of my chin and my neck still need some work to get to a passable shave, but all in all it was not a bad first time out

I had two nicks and a weeper nothing bad, on of the nicks was the bump on my ear as i wasnt paying attention to that area and looking at the other side of the blade,.. but was in control so when i felt it there i was able to stop myself before i did anything serious,.. the other nick was a skip in wrong hand wasnt the lather just kind of a twitch in my arm trying to get things going

once i got some confidence in my strokes things got much better,... being hesitant and a little over cautious made things difficult, my strokes got smoother towards the end and gave comfortable passes when i did,... i think next time out things will be much better

I still need a strop though so i had better get on that soon !!

View attachment 275702

Used Calani Dubai, Gebr Emde "Friday" Razor, and finished with some Veg

Very good James. I started my traditional wet shave experience with a straight razor in 2006. I do it when i have time, just for fun.

Very nice looking razor and congrats on your first straight razor shave. I have admiration for those who can make the jump from DE's to straights.

Just subscribed to the thread so I can follow your journey.

Thanks for the Support guys Straight shaving is what initially drew me into traditional wet shaving beyond the world of carts, i just got overwhelmed at first over how to start now that i got a lot of thigns sorted out with the software options and some knowledge i thought it was time,... trading for this razor for a just shy of 300 astras helped out a lot to,.. as i posted that on a whim and couldnt believe someone came back with a great offer like this,

Im looking forward to picking the skill up and making it part of my rotation for a long time,... plus i really want to learn how to do full restorations in the future as well everything from pinning to honing, and scale making too

but thats a bit ahead of me for right now lol right now learnign to strop and shave will keep me busy for some time i think,... nice to know i have some friends starting their journeys with me too, and having some local support helps ease the mind as well lol

Shave number two is in the can,... much better tonight used some spiek and my H.I.S. Brush got a DFS did one up and one down

but we have a problem lmao no leather in the house yet so until I get my hands on a strop we may be done till then,.. which will have to wait till the new CC arrives since i lost my old card

one minor weeper small enough cold water took care of it and we are feeling good,... really getting excited now, cant wait until i get my second baby back, ugh its been a day into a 5 week wait !, May have to pay a visit to Sam see if i can borrow his leather lol, i got some pens to play with and inks to trade anyhow to keep us both entertained at the moment

I think im going to like this much more then i thought, its like starting all over again, one bit of trouble i did get into that could have been a problem till i noticed a hand in my pocket that should have been stretching skin... nothing bad happened but the blade caught up a bit on me and skipped on an upward pass on cheek

wont let it happen again, stretch flatten stretch

Well i was unable to shave tonight, but after doing some research last night I figured out that SRD has some expensive shipping to canada, and that Fendrihan the next town over carries a rebranded version for the same price without having to wait for shipping and having it go thru customs and possible duty pay,... so i have a 3" black latigo strop with fiber webbing on order that should be here tomorrow for me to play with and get the edges back into shape

im sure my face needed that weight anyway, and depending on how it goes with the butter knife i plan on trying out first,... it may have to painfully wait one more day

But i still have a shave to report from yesturday,... a package showed up in the mail with some PIF pipes Joshua sent me, and low and behold a golden little straight edge was in the box,... couldnt wait so i put it to use excellent shave had a bit to much stubble left over so i cleaned it up this time so i would look okay for work today,.. let Joshua know how well it went and he couldnt be happier,... this is the moment i found out i was the first person to try a blade he himself had put and edge on, I would imagine he had tried his edges out on himself first but i know for me im totally sending my first one out to someone else to try for me first so hey you never know

Sam i may have a razor to give to you in a few months :thumbup: well maybe a few more then a few,...

The shave felt great in hand the grip is feeling natural again which will let me focus solely on what i am doing on my face alone... the shave part seems like it should come to be natural as DE shaving within a shave or two,... which is good cause now i can focus on stropping without taking a chunk out of my new beauty

Well i was unable to shave tonight, but after doing some research last night I figured out that SRD has some expensive shipping to canada, and that Fendrihan the next town over carries a rebranded version for the same price without having to wait for shipping and having it go thru customs and possible duty pay,... so i have a 3" black latigo strop with fiber webbing on order that should be here tomorrow for me to play with and get the edges back into shape

im sure my face needed that weight anyway, and depending on how it goes with the butter knife i plan on trying out first,... it may have to painfully wait one more day

But i still have a shave to report from yesturday,... a package showed up in the mail with some PIF pipes Joshua sent me, and low and behold a golden little straight edge was in the box,... couldnt wait so i put it to use excellent shave had a bit to much stubble left over so i cleaned it up this time so i would look okay for work today,.. let Joshua know how well it went and he couldnt be happier,... this is the moment i found out i was the first person to try a blade he himself had put and edge on, I would imagine he had tried his edges out on himself first but i know for me im totally sending my first one out to someone else to try for me first so hey you never know

Sam i may have a razor to give to you in a few months :thumbup: well maybe a few more then a few,...

The shave felt great in hand the grip is feeling natural again which will let me focus solely on what i am doing on my face alone... the shave part seems like it should come to be natural as DE shaving within a shave or two,... which is good cause now i can focus on stropping without taking a chunk out of my new beauty

:thumbup:

right on brother!!!!

and to clarify, yes I tried my edges myself, but you are the first besides me to try one LOL :)

again so glad it went well!!! i was a wee bit nervous n all :)

*subscribing* I miss a lot of great/important threads....

:thumbup:

right on brother!!!!

and to clarify, yes I tried my edges myself, but you are the first besides me to try one LOL :)

again so glad it went well!!! i was a wee bit nervous n all :)

*subscribing* I miss a lot of great/important threads....

its all good man,... its wierd between the two blades the feel could be so different, the other blade seemed to be sharper as it removed more hair per pass,... the one you did seemed to be smoother though but again my hands are still getting used to things so its really cool having two completely different honing styles there to play with

its like having both a Tech and an Old Type to start out with and getting used to the differences both have
but i need to get my shave technique down some more to really feel out the difference between them so i can eliminate me as the difference and not the edges themselves

of course all this may be thrown out the window as i am learning to strop properly lmao

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I scared you away with my leathers :yikes:
Would be nice to see your strop when it comes in. Can I play with it? Can I, huh? Can I, huh? Can I?
Also interested in seeing your newly aquired edged toys as well.

Yeah man no trouble I have to swing by my house at lunch if it's there when I get home I'll bring it and some inks with me when head back to work if your around tonight?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Thursday nights are my "boy's night out" night....... i.e. Chess club ..... and you thought that Shavers were geeks!!

Top Bottom