What's new

Vintage soap anyone?

I have to say, I am enjoying my first vintage soap. I could see a Yardley in my future.

One question... my lather at times seems air-ey. I'm using a scuttle and the problem doesn't go away with more agitation. Does anyone recommend more/less water? Loading more/less?

Could be your water ratio, but I'm betting you're not loading enough. Try loading more. A LOT more. Don't skimp! I know it's a vintage soap but it's still gonna last for ages. So LOAD that brush! I'm betting this will solve all your problems. :thumbup1:

What a cool thread! I have vintage Yardley and Wrisley...I'll have to post somepics. Been using the Yardley for about a month straight now and love it!

What a cool thread! I have vintage Yardley and Wrisley...I'll have to post somepics. Been using the Yardley for about a month straight now and love it!

Yeah, Yardley's killer. Enjoy it! Fortunately, there seem to be a goodly number of pucks available on ebay.

My recent Ebay score:

$Colgate.JPG

I opened the bidding but figured it was somebody here going against me and decided my one puck was enough. Enjoy your wonderful Colgate soap!

I opened the bidding but figured it was somebody here going against me and decided my one puck was enough. Enjoy your wonderful Colgate soap!

Thanks. The seller had 2 lots going, ending just seconds apart. I was tempted to go for both of them, but I came to my senses (kind of). I did pick the right one to win. My lot sold for $28.50, the other sold for $36.00, both including shipping.

A question for those that have used both vintage Williams and vintage Colgate Cup soap...is there any difference in performance? For the next week or two I'm going to use some vintage Williams (circa 1976) and I'm wondering how they compare.

It's been a long while since posting, but thought this would be worth a look. I was in Funchal about three years back, my wife and I were wandering around the town centre and found a small antique/apothecary type of store. Buried wayyy back in a cabinet I saw these old shave sticks with Musgo colouring. I bought four of them, left a couple behind.

I cleaned up one of the sticks and put in a Lea stick base I picked up elsewhere. The scent is definitely Musgo, closer to the AS than the shaving cream. Nice lather, nice shave. :thumbup1:

$musgo2.jpg

It's been a long while since posting, but thought this would be worth a look. I was in Funchal about three years back, my wife and I were wandering around the town centre and found a small antique/apothecary type of store. Buried wayyy back in a cabinet I saw these old shave sticks with Musgo colouring. I bought four of them, left a couple behind.

I cleaned up one of the sticks and put in a Lea stick base I picked up elsewhere. The scent is definitely Musgo, closer to the AS than the shaving cream. Nice lather, nice shave. :thumbup1:

View attachment 323273

Probably rancid: better send them to me for disposal.

I've been using a puck of Colgate for the past several shaves and it's a very good soap. It's easy to lather and has the right amount of slickness. It lost its scent long ago so I put it in the mug, dumped Clubman all over it and wrapped it in plastic. I let it sit for 24hrs. It still smells very Clubmanly but the scent is starting to fade a little. I may have to douse it again!

I followed both of those auctions and almost got in on them. In the long run, I'm pretty happy with current production soaps, so I just stick to using my one vintage Williams puck once in a great while. It is a nice score!

View attachment 323273
I am totally jealous of this! Very nice!:thumbup:

I have not been fortunate enough to find any of the vintage colgate yet. I do have a puck of Williams, it came with a mug I got on the bay. It is unsused but not boxed. The design on the puck is the same as the modern Williams. Anyone know if this is an indicator?

I have not been fortunate enough to find any of the vintage colgate yet. I do have a puck of Williams, it came with a mug I got on the bay. It is unsused but not boxed. The design on the puck is the same as the modern Williams. Anyone know if this is an indicator?
What is stamped on the bottom of the puck?

I cant make much out, it seems a bit worn on the bottom. I do see a W like it might have said Williams but its all I can make out.

Thank you for the education. Makes me feel better about not buying it. Thinking my first vintage soap should probably be Old Spice. I have been wanting to get an Old Spice mug anyway so might as well get one with soap in it.

Yea I had two old spice mugs when I moved I got rid of them not thinking I was going to wet shave again. I could kick myself for doing that :a52:

Last edited:
What a cool thread! Although i feel like this is going to become another part of my AD. I picked up my first pucks of vintage soap (Williams) as part of a vintage razor lot, and they arrived yesterday. Managed to get a Gem 1912, a Star, an almost unused travel tech, and the two pucks of Williams, all for $10. :001_cool:

I know williams is one of the most common vintage soaps, but im still excited, so I'm going to post pictures anyway. I'm assuming the soap is from 1976, because there are advertisements on the side for a shaving mug honoring the 200th anniversary of America. One of the pucks is still wrapped in the packing paper, which also has an advertisement for the mug. Pretty happy with the find. I'll probably use the unwrapped puck with the dented box and hold onto the nice looking wrapped one. I've heard good things about old Williams.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have a challenge for the Vintage soap guru's on this site. I can't find much info about either one other than tracing the history of palmolive, and using the address to get a rough date estimate of manufacture.
Palmolive=http://imgur.com/a/mAwkl#0
Bachelor=http://imgur.com/a/IX5ae#0

For the Palmolive I would guess ca. 1967-77. There is a net weight on the package, which suggests 1967 or later because of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Packaging_and_Labeling_Act. I see no bar code, which suggests earlier than 1977 or so. There is no zip code in the company address, which we might expect from 1963 on. But I think the net weight is a more reliable indicator. A look at google books confirms that Shaving Cup Soap was available in that era: http://books.google.com/books?id=8OkrAQAAMAAJ from 1974.

The Bachelor Soap reminded me of Bachelor Chow in Futurama.... After a little digging, it appears that Lorie Perfumers was created by John Russell Kennedy, who started as a perfumer for Rexall and became its president by 1946. So I gather it was a Rexall store brand. This piece feels like ca. 1925-40 to me, but that is based mostly on the packaging and artwork.

Top Bottom