What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm on shave 4 (done) at the moment. The stick does not seem to melt as quickly as I would think. I did go easy on the loading (well, as I usually do) and found that this one need more product to make the explosion of lather. Like most Italian soaps, it works well. I do not know the shave stick I have is older (shouldn't be, I bought it recently) but I find it hard (harder than Tabac).

Luc

Staff member
I will be on shave 15 next week so I will post a picture but so far, I am not convinced at all that I will get 30 shaves out of the Valobra. It's not melting very quickly.

Luc

Staff member
Shave #15 completed for Valobra so time for an update as I'm half way. I took 2 pictures to show the Erasmic holder and without it as my first picture was without the Erasmic holder. I only have that much gone so I would get close (guess) to 60 shaves with that stick.

I will start experimenting a bit with Glycerin and superlather here and use the Wilkinson Sword as a control point.

Attachments

• $SANY6502 (700x556).jpg
    $SANY6502 (700x556).jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 491
  • $SANY6504 (700x570).jpg
    $SANY6504 (700x570).jpg
    246 KB · Views: 488
I got my La Toja and shaved with it for the first time yesterday. What a pleasure! Provided a nice close shave without irritation and a pleasant scent too.

I had sworn off shave sticks after trying Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Stick and having terrible burning shaves. Arko was good lather, but hated the scent. La Toja is making me a believer! I'll have to try face lathering my TOBS creams again for comparison.

Luc

Staff member
I got my La Toja and shaved with it for the first time yesterday. What a pleasure! Provided a nice close shave without irritation and a pleasant scent too.

I had sworn off shave sticks after trying Ogallala Bay Rum Shave Stick and having terrible burning shaves. Arko was good lather, but hated the scent. La Toja is making me a believer! I'll have to try face lathering my TOBS creams again for comparison.

That's good! I never tried the Ogallala Bay Rum stick but read similar issues from a few members. If it doesn't burn, it's supposed to be a good stick. Arko is a matter of love/hate for the scent as those who are in the hate camp usually agree that the scent is the big turn off.

I do have a Latoja here and will get to it but not just yet as I already have my next stick lined up after Valobra but possibly after that, so in 2 months.

Luc

Staff member
Valobra shaves are done, the review can be seen in the Review system. You can easily follow the link in the first post to the product in wiki. The product in wiki has a link to the review. I'm only number 18 to review this little gem, those who used it a lot, I recommend that you also review it in the review system! It's a great shave stick!

Tomorrow, I will shave with another stick and post a picture of it. Stay tuned!

Attachments

• $SANY6540 (700x545).jpg
    $SANY6540 (700x545).jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 416
  • $SANY6541 (700x472).jpg
    $SANY6541 (700x472).jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 415

Luc

Staff member
Wow, Valobra not as good as Wilkinson Sword? I have got to try that stick!

Yes, the Wilkinson Sword stick is a must if you ask me, great stuff!

Luc

Staff member
With some NOS Wilkinson Sword sticks that were found not too long ago (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/366767-Wilkinson-shave-soap-stick-GREEN!!!!), I was lucky to get a stick from Polerouter (thanks again). I will use it for 30 shaves, like my other sticks and review it at the end. I will compare it to the current production of course and maybe 1-2 more sticks.

First impressions? Very awesome, easier to lather than the blue and the scent is a bit stronger (and different). Great stuff!

Attachments

• $SANY6538 (700x609).jpg
    $SANY6538 (700x609).jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 385
  • $SANY6539 (700x415).jpg
    $SANY6539 (700x415).jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 381
  • $SANY6542 (700x515).jpg
    $SANY6542 (700x515).jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 389
Yes, the Wilkinson Sword stick is a must if you ask me, great stuff!

+1 Why the Wilkinson shave stick is not mentionned around here more often is a mystery for me. Around here it is around 50% more expensive than the euro palmolive but in my opinion it is in another league in terms of lather quality.

Luc

Staff member
I think it would be good to list the stick on how I rank them for now from best to worse. Those are based on my experience and keep in mind that yours might vary (i.e. I may like something that you don't, so, YMMV!). The way it works, the sticks on top of the list are more likely to stay in the rotation where the ones at the bottom, not...

Ranking
  1. Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick
  2. Tabac Shave Stick
  3. Speick Shave Stick
  4. Valobra Shave Stick
  5. De Vergulde Hand Shave Stick
  6. Barbus Shaving Soap
  7. Sir Irisch Moos Shave Stick
  8. Chicman Shaving Stick
  9. Erasmic Shaving Stick

Keep in mind that discontinued shave sticks are difficult to get, that's why they are lower in the list. If they would be available easily, it would be a different story. Also, many should have the same number as they are on the same step. Finally, there's a big (huge) gap between the Chicman which was great and the Erasmic (forgettable at best).

Ranking
  2. Tabac Shave Stick
  3. Speick Shave Stick
  4. Valobra Shave Stick
  6. Barbus Shaving Soap
  8. Chicman Shaving Stick
  9. Erasmic Shaving Stick

This is incomplete without La Toja!

I think it would be good to list the stick on how I rank them for now from best to worse. Those are based on my experience and keep in mind that yours might vary (i.e. I may like something that you don't, so, YMMV!). The way it works, the sticks on top of the list are more likely to stay in the rotation where the ones at the bottom, not...

Ranking
  2. Tabac Shave Stick
  3. Speick Shave Stick
  4. Valobra Shave Stick
  6. Barbus Shaving Soap
  8. Chicman Shaving Stick
  9. Erasmic Shaving Stick

Keep in mind that discontinued shave sticks are difficult to get, that's why they are lower in the list. If they would be available easily, it would be a different story. Also, many should have the same number as they are on the same step. Finally, there's a big (huge) gap between the Chicman which was great and the Erasmic (forgettable at best).

I˙m glad you like W&S!:thumbup1:
The gap between Tabac and SIM is surprisingly big. Performance wise, I find them equal. Do you really think that DVH is better than SIM?

Luc

Staff member
I˙m glad you like W&S!:thumbup1:
The gap between Tabac and SIM is surprisingly big. Performance wise, I find them equal. Do you really think that DVH is better than SIM?

As I mentioned, the fact that the Sir Irisch Moos is discontinued push it to the bottom of the list. If it was current production (so easy to get) it would be right under Tabac. Since it's not currently produced, I won't go out of my way to find it. DVH is easier to find (yet difficult to obtain here).

Luc

Staff member
Palmolive?

Palmolive?? I'm guessing here that you wonder where it is in the list? I did not review it in this thread yet so it's not in the list.

Top Bottom