What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Thanks Luc, I'm interested to see your impressions of the Vie-Long shave stick. I had made the assumption that it was the same as Lea, but clearly there's at the very least a color differrence and use rate.

I like the Lea soap, very much but wish it had more a a scent.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks Luc, I'm interested to see your impressions of the Vie-Long shave stick. I had made the assumption that it was the same as Lea, but clearly there's at the very least a color differrence and use rate.

I like the Lea soap, very much but wish it had more a a scent.

I'm having issues understanding that the formula is the same versus the performance of Lea/Vie-Long. I'm taking a few extra days to compare them side-by-side

Today i tried the new erasmic stick.
Mediocre lather but plenty of slickness.
There wasn't enough cushion but the shaver was pretty good...

Luc

Staff member
Finally got to the last Vie-Long shave, it took a while as I did a lot of compares between Arko, Lea and Vie-Long. I also went all the way back up to Wilkinson Sword.

Now, Vie-Long is not a bad soap, it's a good soap. But not a great soap. The scent is much better than Lea. This one should be good for around 90 shaves.

Review here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=211572

Attachments

• $IMG_2394.jpg
    $IMG_2394.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
First shave with Blueness shave stick this morning. I had some issues with the wrapper. It's some kind of plastic foil. I didn't have an old razor blade to cut the wrapper so I had to unstick it and it didn't really stick back together after. I will need to use a piece of foil to fix it tonight.

The scent is some kind of cologne. It worked good but no explosion of lather.

Attachments

• $IMG_2395.jpg
    $IMG_2395.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 295
  • $IMG_2396.jpg
    $IMG_2396.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 297
  • $IMG_2398.jpg
    $IMG_2398.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 296
  • $IMG_2399.jpg
    $IMG_2399.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 296
  • $IMG_2400.jpg
    $IMG_2400.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 296

Luc

Staff member
More pictures

Attachments

• $IMG_2401.jpg
    $IMG_2401.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 290
  • $IMG_2450.jpg
    $IMG_2450.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 290

Luc

Staff member
I still didn't around to change the piece of plastic foil that the stick originally had. It's a pain but workable. I will do something tonight or this week-end. The stick works well and it's softer than It seems. Maybe I press too hard when I spread the product, it's starting to be crooked a bit...

Thank you for posting pictures of the ingredients list, I'm really nerding out on those along with the descriptive reviews. Palm oil being its second ingredient is going to reduce the amount of lather you get however it should be very slick. I'm loving these reviews, keep up the great work!

Luc

Staff member
I'm up to 15 shaves so here's a picture of the stick. It's melting slowly. It's producing okay lather. Time to experiment a bit more with glycerin and superlather!

Attachments

• $IMG_2488[1].jpg
    $IMG_2488[1].jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 217

Luc

Staff member
Review is coming up as I'm almost done with this shave stick!

Luc

Staff member
30 shaves are complete, I'm up to figure out where to put the stick in the list (see post 1).

I still have 1 stick to go. I found another one that I forgot about it in my stash and did a research and I'm missing a stick that is fairly well established that I did not discussed yet. So I will buy one of those.

When done, I will need to go #3017 it seems as I have a huge backlog of soaps...

Luc

Staff member
All 30 shaves are now done for the Blueness Shaving Stick.

I will post a review in the review system in a few minutes.

The stick is fair, works okay, but not great. I rated accordingly. From the picture, that one should last a little while. Maybe ~90 shaves.

Attachments

• $IMG_2620.jpg
    $IMG_2620.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 110

Luc

Staff member
SAB is the next shave stick. It's part of a pack that I bought with other Turkish shave sticks. Now, the ingredient list may be a bit scary...

I emailed the seller and got a very fast reply

SAB shaving soap ingredients: 95% pure organic olive oil and 5% herbal oil. It contains no animal products and no petrochemicals.

Saffhayat organic shaving soap ingredients: 85% pure organic cold pressed olive oil, 15% Palm oil, salt and water. It contains no bleaching agent, no humectant, no petrochemicals, no animal oil, and no perfume.

The high concentration of olive oil scares me a bit...
- http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/445921-SAB-shaving-soap?p=7153582#post7153582

So, I started using this one a few days ago. First shave was okay but the case of disappearing lather is there. The scent is mild, it's okay. The lather is protective but there's almost nothing left when I get to pass #3. Still no irritation but I rather see my lather instead of that Houdini illusion... I will be able to do 30 shaves for sure, maybe find a better way to make it lather but I have a feeling that the results will be similar to Saffhayat...

Attachments

• $IMG_2627.jpg
    $IMG_2627.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 86
  • $SAB_Shave_Stick_1.jpg
    $SAB_Shave_Stick_1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 88
  • $SAB_Shave_Stick_2.jpg
    $SAB_Shave_Stick_2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 89
  • $SAB_Shave_Stick_3.jpg
    $SAB_Shave_Stick_3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 89
There is a hemp oil stick available in Auatralia if i am not mistaken.If you find one your review might help is if it worths the time.

There are two more sticks that tempt my interesting with the one being brushless.
Mennen shave stick from France and Velobody shave stick.I wonder how they work.The mennen is a brushless stick i suppose.Quite weird....

Luc

Staff member
There is a hemp oil stick available in Auatralia if i am not mistaken.If you find one your review might help is if it worths the time.

Back in the days when I was in Australia, I tried it from the Hemp oil company. It worked but the lather always vanished. I moved on to another stick. If I remember correctly, it also had a minty scent mixed with the hemp oil. I would give that one a pass.

There are two more sticks that tempt my interesting with the one being brushless.
Mennen shave stick from France and Velobody shave stick.I wonder how they work.The mennen is a brushless stick i suppose.Quite weird....

I do not know any of those two. I had the Mennen before (from Fiji, sometimes available down under). The Fiji version was much better than the Mennen version made in Australia (before it moved to a new label - Palmolive).

Top Bottom