What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Am I the only one who simply holds the stick in a hand with the soap sticking slightly out from a clenched hand and lathering from the end of the stick and hand as if it were a bowl? I get the same great lather from my DR Harris Marlborough stick that I get from the puck. No drama, no issues, just a great shave.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Am I the only one who simply holds the stick in a hand with the soap sticking slightly out from a clenched hand and lathering from the end of the stick and hand as if it were a bowl? I get the same great lather from my DR Harris Marlborough stick that I get from the puck. No drama, no issues, just a great shave.

This is also known as the Fist Bowl method. It is described here in wiki : http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Different_Lathering_Options

I tried it but prefer lathering directly on my face so I eliminate a place where I leave lather that will eventually be going down the drain. Plus I use both hands to shave so having a hand full of lather is not practical. (i.e. both hands with using a straight razor and hand #2 when applying lather between passes as I don't put the razor down).

Luc

Staff member
To make things easier, I added a link to the first post for each soap that is currently done so it's easier to get to where I actually start using that product in particular.

So far, Tabac is doing very well.

IMO, the two lathers have the same creamy thickness, color, and glide; I think the substitution of Speick extract & essential oils by lanolin accounts for the difference in face feel.

The major ingredients are very similar, and the substitutions could be allow price differentiation of Speick from Wilkenson.

Speic
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate. Parfum, Glycerin, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, CI 12805, CI 75120, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool.

Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate,Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 51319, CI74160, CI 77891.

The weights the two sticks within 1 gr on my kitchen scale. The base holders appear to be identical. The box dimensions only slightly vary.

Is Wilkinson sold widely in Germany or Europe?
In the UK, does the distributor of Speick distribute the Wilkinson stick? (If so, this could account for the Wilkie stick's disappearance from groceries and chemist shops).

Luc

Staff member
IMO, the two lathers have the same creamy thickness, color, and glide; I think the substitution of Speick extract & essential oils by lanolin accounts for the difference in face feel.

The major ingredients are very similar, and the substitutions could be allow price differentiation of Speick from Wilkenson.

Speic
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate. Parfum, Glycerin, Valeriana Celtica (Speick) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, CI 12805, CI 75120, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool.

Wilkinson Sword Shave Stick
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Parfum, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate,Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 51319, CI74160, CI 77891.

The weights the two sticks within 1 gr on my kitchen scale. The base holders appear to be identical. The box dimensions only slightly vary.

In the UK, does the distributor of Speick distribute the Wilkinson stick? (If so, this could account for the Wilkie stick's disappearance from groceries and chemist shops).

They may or may not, I do not know. What I know is that Speick does not melt as quickly as Wilkinson Sword. The formula and scent are different but it doesn't mean that they are made by a different company.

In the UK the blue bowl soap is everywhere but the Wilkinson stick is nowhere to be found. In fact the only sticks commonly available in UK stores are the Palmolive, Erasmic and Boots own brand. I emailed Wilkinson Sword the other day asking them why the stick wasn't available in stores but I got a rather clueless reply saying that it was available everywhere. I'm sure the person dealing with the enquiry got mixed up with the blue bowl.

my first and only shave stick experience is with a Kell's shave stick; i picked bay rum,because the supplier i used only had that scent available...but it does come in many other scents i have discovered,enough to suit almost everyone i would think YMMV;
i am very satisfied with the stick and plan to explore creating a shave stick after reading the wiki here on B&B;

Luc

Staff member
Thanks guys, Tabac is on shave 8 and I must admit, it's a workhorse. Easy to lather and it's a really nice lather. If the number of shaves that I can get out of one stick is around 150, this would mean it's one of the best money/value sticks that I've used.

I'm starting to get used to the scent also, it's not that bad.

Luc

Staff member
Time for an update, I was on shave 15 yesterday so I took a picture. I got a refill Tabac stick to compare the height and it's melting slowly, very slowly. Like the Sir Irisch Moos, I get that border where the push tube is. The soap will lock itself when I use it as soon as the bottom of the soap won't touch the bottom of the base.

So far, excellent soap. Tests with superlather, uberlather and control test to come
$SANY6475.jpg

Have you used the puck version of Tabac? I'm curious about people's preferences between the performance of sticks and pucks of identical soaps (like Tabac and Arlington) for reasons other than economics.

Luc

Staff member
Have you used the puck version of Tabac? I'm curious about people's preferences between the performance of sticks and pucks of identical soaps (like Tabac and Arlington) for reasons other than economics.

Yes I did, it was my first experience with Tabac and I disliked the scent mainly. The performance was great. Today, I don't mind the scent so much and the performance is still here. Love it.

If you ask me, every soap should be made in a stick form (not all stick, not everyone love sticks). As I prefer face lathering and a shave stick is made for face lathering, it's the logical choice for me. As for how long it lasts, it seems to be the same versus a puck (or very similar).

Thanks for this informative thread

Trying to understand your comment re Luc@post #333:
As for how long it lasts, it seems to be the same versus a puck (or very similar).

Are you saying a 100g Tabac stick lasts as long as a 150g Tabac puck? or as long as 100g of a Tabac puck?

Luc

Staff member
Thanks for this informative thread

Trying to understand your comment re Luc@post #333:

Are you saying a 100g Tabac stick lasts as long as a 150g Tabac puck? or as long as 100g of a Tabac puck?

No, I don't know how long a puck of Tabac lasts versus a stick of Tabac. The usual average, puck or stick is around 2 months or a bit more depending on the size of the product and how you use it. I did find that a stick seems to go down slower than a puck, maybe because I have a better control on how much product I spread in my beard.

YMMV!

Luc, thanks for this tremendous thread. You inspired me to try my first shave stick and to face lather for the first time this morning. Quite enjoyable and effective!

Luc

Staff member
5 more shaves and Tabac is over (over as 30 shaves with Tabac, not the stick is over). Review to be posted soon.

Luc

Staff member
That's it for today, 30 shaves with Tabac done. I will start a new stick tomorrow. For now, I posted a review in the review system here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=210905

It's surprising that we don't have more review for this product. :ohmy:

I would guesstimate 160-180 shaves with a stick according to what I used so far.
$SANY6480.jpg

Luc

Staff member
I will open with a post that I saw from mistercitizen here from the My Guess... 3017 thread:

I mostly face lather and this happens to me when I try to go back to bowl lathering.

I'm 15 shaves into my Valobra stick and I set it next to a brand new one that I have..... looks like I'm maybe just a smidge over the halfway mark..... which is about what brucered said it would be (30 shaves from one stick).

Ben

It seems that Valobra has a very short life span. As a rough 30 shaves is what someone should expect from that stick and that I use it for 30 days, I can easily confirm if that's the case for the one I used. I think Ben ended up with 33 shaves...

This morning, very good shave, easy to use and the stick fits perfectly the Erasmic holder (red).

Attachments

• $SANY6478.jpg
    $SANY6478.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 445
  • $SANY6479.jpg
    $SANY6479.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 447
My observation is that the Tabac shave stick for me lasts a lot longer than others. First, it appears to be larger and harder. The Valobra, on the other hand, is much softer and doesn't last as long for me. However, both give me excellent shaves.

I never kept track of the number of shaves I get from each stick since I change soaps and creams every day. However, I had in my travel bag LaJoja and Valobra shave sticks and alternate days that I used them. The Valobra is down to the nub but the LaToja has over an inch left on it.

Top Bottom