What's new

Shave Sticks Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The duo shave stick is now over (13 shaves). Review to follow

View attachment 632580 $IMGP5767.jpg$IMGP5769.jpg$IMGP5772.jpg$IMGP5776.jpg
I`m thrilled to get very nice shaves with both Erasmic and Arko sticks. I know Erasmic stick doesn`t get a lot of love but it works for me nicely. I certainly am not promoting Erasmic stick especially when I was told by their product manager that my initial problem with Erasmic was an isolated case but I`m just saying it works for me after playing around and experimenting with it. It`s nice that there is plenty of slickness and though it appears there is no cushion there is still protection from this Erasmic soap. I find Erasmic rinses off easily and has good post moisturizing feel too. I also like the scent as well. I find Arko has a soap film and it takes a bit more work to rinse off my face afterwards but both are fine soaps in my book. I followed this chart and now I have both soaps combined together with the Erasmic stick on top. I have not had these soaps come apart and it seems very well bonded together. I`m a happy camper :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I used that technique a few times now and it always worked wonders.

Luc

Staff member
I wrapped the stick with foil so it's easier to work with. The scent reminds me of a vintage stick that I tried before (a bit of play-doh). The soap works well but not as good as Arko so far. Arko is my reference point to the other Turkish sticks. It's not that far from Arko.

I tried something different today. I took one of those little red tubs of Cella and pushed it into a shave stick tube. Easy to do since it is soft. Well it performed just great. I always thought Cella was a good soap but I like it even more as a stick. You guys have to try this. You won't be sorry.

$Cella.jpg

Luc

Staff member
Stickifying a soap is nice. I did that a few times with different soaps.

Quick picture of the Master stick with foil
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454581049.746974.jpg

I tried something different today. I took one of those little red tubs of Cella and pushed it into a shave stick tube. Easy to do since it is soft. Well it performed just great. I always thought Cella was a good soap but I like it even more as a stick. You guys have to try this. You won't be sorry.

View attachment 634709

I agree. I do the same with brick Cella and it truly does make a great stick.

$cella.jpg

View attachment 629313
I`ve almost forgotten to mention I earlier in the Erasmic stick journey did a super lather combo too with Erasmic/C&E Sandalwood soap but in the end I got tired of doing a double application so I went the drier, damp brush and smaller brush approach for a longer lasting Erasmic lather.

what brand is your shaving brush pls?
Even after years of usage my Omega 48 does not look soft like yours...

thanks

tam

what brand is your shaving brush pls?
Even after years of usage my Omega 48 does not look soft like yours...

thanks

tam
$image.jpg

Hey Tam, the brand is Eterna 928. Nothing fancy boar brushes but as you've noted they're very soft and smooth with a nice back bone too. I've learnt about this brand and version from my local barbershop. I was asking them about brush advices and they said " You want a shaving brush that's a work horse and works wonderfully?" " Then forget about them other sissy brushes ( I won't mention the brands :tongue_sm ) and get the Eterna 928 one. They use this Eterna brush uncountable times throughout the day to earn a living so this is indeed a daily driver pro brush. So I went to my usual local shaving supply shop were I buy my brushes, de and straight razors and blades and I bought a bunch of them as you can see. I've cherry picked and chosen various sizes for different application and I don't like brushes that hog up and waste too much soap. I hope this info helps and I can't praise these soft brushes enough. I let them air dry on my window sill as you can see.

Luc

Staff member
I got up to 15 shaves during the week-end, pictures and thoughts to come for Master...

Luc

Staff member
Here's a picture of Master after 15 shaves. The performance is good but not as good as Arko. There's something missing in there. It's not exploding like it should IMO. I can probably figure that one by the next 15 shaves. The lather is very usable.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456092776.181001.jpg

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I should be in a position to post a review this week-end. I am closing in on 30 shaves with Master.

Luc

Staff member
Here's a picture of the Master stick after 30 shaves. Review to be posted really soon

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457694495.474354.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457694510.170667.jpg

Luc

Staff member
The review is posted here: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=211554

I can't honestly say that this is a great product. I was maybe harsh on this one but so many products work a lot better than this one. It's not super bad, it's just very average. Considering the top sticks that I have in the list, I can't see this one making the cut to stay in my rotation.

Looking at how quickly it melts, I would say around 80-90 shaves for this one.

Last edited:
I grated a half puck of Mitchell's wool fat and a half puck of Tabac, using a cheese grater. I mixed the flakes 50/50 and pressed them into a twist-up container. It's a very nice combination!

I'm thinking of trying another 50/50 blend of Cella from a brick, along with an equal amount of Stirling Shaving Soap's Black Cherry -- that sounds as if it could prove memorable.

Luc

Staff member
Next stick is a revisit. Erasmic

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457951239.713470.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457951258.896774.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457951271.629404.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457951284.280360.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457951295.250720.jpg

Top Bottom