What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

Congrats Dane. It's a very nice shaver, albeit on the milder side. The build quality I think is even better than the Gillettes (which is a huge achievement in itself).

Congrats Dane. It's a very nice shaver, albeit on the milder side. The build quality I think is even better than the Gillettes (which is a huge achievement in itself).
Thanks, Guru! I'm excited to use it. I'm almost ashamed of what I paid for it... [emoji51]

The Rotbart is indeed a very nice razor, but I'm curious ... which Gillette models are inferior, in your opinion?

I'm not comparing apples to apples here, since I don't have a #77 or #88, but compared to the other three piece NEWs, the Rotbart RFB "feels" better built. I agree that this "feel" may be quite subjective.

Newest addition to my Eclipse collection, a Eclipse Red Ring Deluxe Set.

$005.jpg$006.jpg

I also have a Souplex (aka Big Ben) What I have noticed with this one is that the top cap is curved, so in the middle it's more aggressive than on the sides. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that or a defect.

$IMAG0115.jpg

$IMAG0113.jpg

The base plate is very similar to that of the Merkur 41c and I'm sure the top caps and base plates are interchangeable between the two.

What I like about it is the handle, it fits on all my other 3 piece DEs, so it's good as a spare. It's hollow, so it's pretty light, but I'm thinking of putting something inside to add more weight.

Found this today at an antique store. Was in a tiny metal container, so probably meant to be a travel razor. No marking to identify it though. The chrome of the top cap is mostly flaked off and whatever it's made of rusted. Not sure if it can be salvaged. The handle seems to be missing a part. I'm thinking of just using the part that screws into the top cap and attaching that to a nice wooden / metal handle for use with this razor or as a spare for others.

I took it because the base plate looked usable. The top cap from the Souplex / Merkur fits on it, so if I can get an old type Gillette / clone it should also fit. It has an interesting scalloped safety bar. If you look closely you'll see it has more edges on the one side. The blade gap suggests it might be an aggressive shaver.

$IMAG0116.jpg

$IMAG0119.jpg

$IMAG0122.jpg

$IMAG0124.jpg

Top Bottom